The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

I added an M.2 SSD to my Eversolo DMP-A8 to see how that functionality works and it's solid. I loaded the SSD up with FLAC and DSD files and they sound excellent when played through the device. After the systems caches the meta data the performance is very good.

I also tested copying files from my computer to the SSD in the DMP-A8. It's not the fastest connection but it's OK for one off album transfers. If you need to load GB or TB worth of data I would recommend doing that before installing the drive into the DMP-A8.

The DMP-A8 doesn't update file meta data like a Plex or Roon server would do so if album art isn't included in the files you transfer it will not be shown on files that reside on the DMP-A8 SSD.

I next plan on testing the CD ripping functionality of the DMP-A8 to see how that works. For now I'll continue to use Roon for managing my local music library on my Mac mini but it's good to know the DMP-A8 could serve as my main music server if I needed it to.

The DMP-A8 now has beta support for Plex meaning it can read files from a Plex server. I set that up as well and so far it works great. Might make me reconsider my Roon expenses. I need to see if I can install Plex amp on the DMP-A8 for a more feature rich experience.

Back