The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Listening to the new Billy Strings and I bet I’m good with the default for most things. Will give it a while before I start tweaking.
Oh yes definitely, leave it for a while until you decide what you like, and try listening and disabling and re enabling it during songs to see what works and what doesn't...

Oh yes definitely, leave it for a while until you decide what you like, and try listening and disabling and re enabling it during songs to see what works and what doesn't...
That’s what I did through Pink Floyd and Manics. Sat my oldest down, her reaction to Billy Strings was same as mine to Manics, it was different wasn’t sure which she liked. (I liked that it was a lot easier to tell how many musicians were playing at any time on that one, the separation was incredible). Then I played the intro of Time by Pink Floyd through the bells without and then with. When the bells hit with the filter turned on, she went “whoa”

That’s what I did through Pink Floyd and Manics. Sat my oldest down, her reaction to Billy Strings was same as mine to Manics, it was different wasn’t sure which she liked. (I liked that it was a lot easier to tell how many musicians were playing at any time on that one, the separation was incredible). Then I played the intro of Time by Pink Floyd through the bells without and then with. When the bells hit with the filter turned on, she went “whoa”
Yeah that's exactly it, you'll find that with some stuff the separation sounds strange at first after hearing it totally differently up until now. In most cases it'll be better, in some cases with some intentionally dirty and messy rock it may continue to not quite sound right, that's where the other filters come in ideally, or if that doesn't work just disable it for certain things...

Yeah that's exactly it, you'll find that with some stuff the separation sounds strange at first after hearing it totally differently up until now. In most cases it'll be better, in some cases with some intentionally dirty and messy rock it may continue to not quite sound right, that's where the other filters come in ideally, or if that doesn't work just disable it for certain things...
I’ve only listened to the three things so far (I have Dire Straits queued up next). Manics was the only thing that I’m not sold on so far. It’s lifeblood though so that only sort of tracks. Unfortunately, it’ll be a while before I get good session listening. For some reason a three year old running around screws up my ability to do sessions during the day and it’s headphones only at night (when I do 95% of my critical listening these days)

I’ve only listened to the three things so far (I have Dire Straits queued up next). Manics was the only thing that I’m not sold on so far. It’s lifeblood though so that only sort of tracks. Unfortunately, it’ll be a while before I get good session listening. For some reason a three year old running around screws up my ability to do sessions during the day and it’s headphones only at night (when I do 95% of my critical listening these days)
Ride Across the River on the Mofi Dire Straits is gunna blow your mind. Turn that one and The Mans Too Strong up nice and loud.

I like the idea behind room correction algos, especially for my AVR setups. It really helps timing of speakers with the movie sound effects.

Never have really thought about it with 2 ch.
But another capability with the new Node Icon is Dirac. You have to buy the license separately but it's a cool entry to try this tech out with a traditional 2 channel system while still maintaining an all analog chain for the vinyl signal.

I like the idea behind room correction algos, especially for my AVR setups. It really helps timing of speakers with the movie sound effects.

Never have really thought about it with 2 ch.
But another capability with the new Node Icon is Dirac. You have to buy the license separately but it's a cool entry to try this tech out with a traditional 2 channel system while still maintaining an all analog chain for the vinyl signal.
I’m not sure I would have wanted to do it in two channel except my room is sooooo fucked up.

I’m not sure I would have wanted to do it in two channel except my room is sooooo fucked up.
Yeah mine was initially done for 5.1 home theatre purposes but then as my system got better and I focused on that I just tailored it for music instead and it worked very well. I have no doubt that one of these great 2 channel Moon amps would smoke my Arcam in a non room corrected fight... But I'm pretty sure from what I heard today that between the room corrected Arcam and the non room corrected Moon... it would be close.

Back