The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

After a long hiatus (many years) of not having sky sports, and thus not able to watch NFL in the UK, I've now got access again. I watched most of the Dolphins v Patriots game yesterday, and saw maybe 1/2 of the Packers v Vikings game. Vikings looked good. Their WR (can't remember his name) was electric.

Any how, I need a team to support. Pitch to me! I don't want to glory support the Chiefs, so give me your best sell on who I should follow and pin my allegiances to...

I've only ever visited Memphis with work, so I assume the closest team to that would be the Titans, so I could start there, but I'm open to better offers.

I want to be excited, but ultimately know I'll always run the risk of catastrophic disappointment - just like my football (soccer) team.

The Miami Dolphins!!! They have a strong presence in London (they get the NFL London game alot) Who doesn't want to be somewhere Tropical when you travel here to see them??? Unless you like freezing then Bills games would be perfect! Also the New York Jets are a big team across the pond even tho they seem like a pain to support.

EDIT: Miami actually has the biggest UK support of any team in the NFL and the future is FINALLY looking bright for them

This a strong opener! I'm sold on all of these attributes. In addition, it's actually somewhere possible to visit in future years rather than being some random fly-over state I'll never visit. The logo is solid.
Eh, Buffalo is a pretty terrible city to visit but Toronto (which is an awesome city) I s close by and Niagara Fall is super close.

If you want a fun place to very visit that has a fun team you should consider;The Pittsburgh Steelers, The Miami Dolphins, The Los Vegas Raiders, The Seattle Seahawks, NewcOrleans Saints, and I would throw it’s the Kansas City Chiefs (even though you said you weren’t interested, KC the city is a very underrated).

This a strong opener! I'm sold on all of these attributes. In addition, it's actually somewhere possible to visit in future years rather than being some random fly-over state I'll never visit. The logo is solid.
There is always the Jaguars that seem to be loved in the UK. They get a game out there every year now, and there's been rumors of them moving the team to the UK. They are a fairly new franchise that was added in the 90s, but have only seen a couple years of minor success. They currently have a young promising 2nd year qb, but still have plenty of years of building before they are competitive again...most likely.

I'll be there in October when the Packers are in town, so I can always convert you to the Packers. You'd have to get through a couple more years of an egotistical, vaccine denying, yet talented qb first though.

The Miami Dolphins!!! They have a strong presence in London (they get the NFL London game alot) Who doesn't want to be somewhere Tropical when you travel here to see them??? Unless you like freezing then Bills games would be perfect! Also the New York Jets are a big team across the pond even tho they seem like a pain to support.

EDIT: Miami actually has the biggest UK support of any team in the NFL and the future is FINALLY looking bright for them
Dolphins are a good choice too. I was a big fan of them as a kid, and are still my AFC favorite team.

The only issue I would have with the Dolphins is their current terrible Windows ‘95 clipart logo. I would be completely on board if they every went back to the bad ass helmet-wearing dolphin logo.

There is always the Jaguars that seem to be loved in the UK. They get a game out there every year now, and there's been rumors of them moving the team to the UK. They are a fairly new franchise that was added in the 90s, but have only seen a couple years of minor success. They currently have a young promising 2nd year qb, but still have plenty of years of building before they are competitive again...most likely.

I'll be there in October when the Packers are in town, so I can always convert you to the Packers. You'd have to get through a couple more years of an egotistical, vaccine denying, yet talented qb first though.
I saw the Jags at Wembley in one of the very first London NFL games. They were....awful! :oops:

The only issue I would have with the Dolphins is their current terrible Windows ‘95 clipart logo. I would be completely on board if they every went back to the bad ass helmet-wearing dolphin logo.
Yep that logo sucks. Helmet dolphin is 100x more powerful. Dolphins are a decent shout, but again it's joining the crowd isn't it...and my wife might get bored with me shouting 'laces out Dan' every time they kick.

I mean I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, and was a Packers fan until, well... you know. Trust me, I get it. I've been beaten down as much as anyone, it's why I'm legally allowed to make that joke.

But seriously, pick up TV, open window, deposit TV, sigh contentedly, go outside and proceed to run gleefully through a meadow never having to think about the stupid awful team ever again.

I do this a lot. I've run out of tvs... and meadows.
Ah yes, as a Leafs fan you're basically one of us. In fact, it's somewhat parallel when I see them make what ostensibly seem like positive moves (albeit among plenty of bad decisions too) and it just doesn't work. Rinse and repeat.

I ditched cable over the winter, but now that it's NFL season I don't know my best option to watch games. (especially my local team) I have an antenna but it doesn't get FOX, which is what the Lions are usually broadcast on.
Hulu sounds like a good option, but apparently I'd have to cancel my free Hulu I get through Verizon internet and re-subscribe, I can't just upgrade.

So, what do the non-cable-having people here use?
I’m in the same boat. We have a Fire Stick and Hulu, and that seems to be the only legal way to watch NFL without going through DirecTV. I’ve heard that AppleTV got NFL starting next year, but haven’t confirmed anything. YouTubeTV isn’t an option for me

Not sure I could ever go with the Packers - in the interviews before the game Rodgers just came across as a massive fun sponge! Evidently he's a worse human being than that.

I’m in the same boat. We have a Fire Stick and Hulu, and that seems to be the only legal way to watch NFL without going through DirecTV. I’ve heard that AppleTV got NFL starting next year, but haven’t confirmed anything. YouTubeTV isn’t an option for me
I thought you don't actually need DirecTV cable access to get Sunday Ticket any longer and that you can sign up for a streaming option? That only works if you are out of market for the games, however.

After a long hiatus (many years) of not having sky sports, and thus not able to watch NFL in the UK, I've now got access again. I watched most of the Dolphins v Patriots game yesterday, and saw maybe 1/2 of the Packers v Vikings game. Vikings looked good. Their WR (can't remember his name) was electric.

Any how, I need a team to support. Pitch to me! I don't want to glory support the Chiefs, so give me your best sell on who I should follow and pin my allegiances to...

I've only ever visited Memphis with work, so I assume the closest team to that would be the Titans, so I could start there, but I'm open to better offers.

I want to be excited, but ultimately know I'll always run the risk of catastrophic disappointment - just like my football (soccer) team.

Pick the Chiefs. Before Mahomes came around and won the Super Bowl 3 seasons ago, they had just as tortured a fan base as the Bills, Browns, Lions, etc. You won’t be “glory support”ing them now, they’re yesterday’s news. Everyone’s on to the new darlings, the Buffalo Bills with the next great hope Josh Allen. The Bills are the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year.

Come cheer on their underdog rival Kansas City Chiefs instead. Super fun team to watch. Just watch highlights of their week 1 game and look at all the fun things their offense does.

I thought it was only not available in Canada currently
Not an option because I don’t have anyone else to join with me.
I thought you don't actually need DirecTV cable access to get Sunday Ticket any longer and that you can sign up for a streaming option? That only works if you are out of market for the games, however.
I live in Great Falls Montana, the only potential “in market” games are Seahawks and Broncos. I don’t want to stream, I prefer watching on my big screen TV, although I suppose I could mirror the stream from my iPad to my TV. Anyone have experience with that?

Pick the Chiefs. Before Mahomes came around and won the Super Bowl 3 seasons ago, they had just as tortured a fan base as the Bills, Browns, Lions, etc. You won’t be “glory support”ing them now, they’re yesterday’s news. Everyone’s on to the new darlings, the Buffalo Bills with the next great hope Josh Allen. The Bills are the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year.

Come cheer on their underdog rival Kansas City Chiefs instead. Super fun team to watch. Just watch highlights of their week 1 game and look at all the fun things their offense does.
I saw their 5 (I think) TD's from yesterday - they had some nice plays!

I live in Chicago but I’m a Chiefs fan. I subscribe to NFL Gamepass (International version). I just use a VPN and have my computer hooked up to my TV. It’s cheaper than DIRECTV and more reliable than the pirated streams.

Hoping when Apple takes over next year, it’ll be a lot simpler.

New Orleans Saints got the most heart and the most grateful fanbase in the league. That football team helped rebuild the city spiritually/morale wise post Hurricane Katrina and being a fan of the Saints has always felt bigger than football and wins vs losses. It's a real labor of love being a Saints fan (in a good way). The Saints are basically the royal family of New Orleans, it's rather endearing.

Back