The 'I Did a Thing' Thread

I keep trying to do a thing…but for the third time in a row it hasn’t worked out. Trying to get a used Denafrips Ares II. I responded to a sales post on a forum for one last night within 1 minute of the post going live. Then they sold it to someone else for some reason. Starting to think I may never get one!

Generally anytime one of those super deluxe boxsets get announced I kind of chuckle, see the three digits, and then move to the basic release. This was particularly true when they announced the Almost Famous OST Repressing. The 2xLP was a bit stiff at $40, but the Deluxe and Super Deluxe Boxes at $200 and $300 were eye popping. However, when Amazon did a big discount on the overstock, and then there were Warehouse Copies, and then a Warehouse Discount code, it got the Super Deluxe in the $80s and I kinda just closed my eyes and...well...this appeared.

PXL_20220422_000532281.MP.jpg
PXL_20220422_182424417.jpg

My Record City order arrived earlier this week. So excited! Pic at the end and some details from my post in the Fresh Grabs thread.

I think I figured out the US shipping costs. Seems like 2,000 g is the next weight tier where the shipping jumps up ~$15. The higher your order costs, the cheaper the shipping costs within each tier, too I think. That’s why shipping costs drop close to ~$12 as you add to your cart until you hit 2,000 g.

2,000 g works out to 2 gatefold single LPs and 2 non-gatefold single LPs. I have those in my cart right now and it’s just over 1,900 grams. Probably equivalent to 5-6 non-gatefold single LPs.

View attachment 136681

This was my haul from my first Record City order. Half city pop, half cheap bargain bin (mostly cheap at least) Japanese jazz funk. Grabbed some long time wants that never pop up affordable stateside. Everything was graded conservatively and in nice condition and packaged well. Gonna be in trouble trying to not order too much in the future 😅

Somewhat of a crosspost from the RSD thread but with the yen tanking against the dollar in recent weeks, Japanese purchases are suddenly quite a bit more affordable...

From HMV Japan:
wSN2qzU.png

But I wasn't done. 😔 From Amazon JP:
8OC8ZZo.png

Somewhat of a crosspost from the RSD thread but with the yen tanking against the dollar in recent weeks, Japanese purchases are suddenly quite a bit more affordable...

From HMV Japan:
wSN2qzU.png

8OC8ZZo.png
How's the shipping from Amazon JP? Any better packaging than North America Amazon?

From HMV Japan:
wSN2qzU.png

8OC8ZZo.png
Nice! I grabbed all those Nujabes from Amazon JP a couple years ago and it was way cheaper than any US stores I’ve seen them at even with shipping.

How's the shipping from Amazon JP? Any better packaging than North America Amazon?
I ordered the Khruangbin japanese comp from Amazon JP a few years ago. I think the best comparison in terms of packaging from what I recall is Deep Discount. It's not bulletproof by any stretch but mine did arrive here in one piece with no damage.

Picked up a small lot today; what I could from a larger lot of gems. A few are early (80s) reissues, nothing is later than that. Most excited for the self-titled Jane’s on XXX.View attachment 138245View attachment 138246
The “Nothing Shocking” cover is a big favorite around here. Somewhat similar in effect as Warren Zevon’s first album cover/inner sleeve. Warren’s closeup on the cover and a comfort food plate with a .45 as garnish pointing directly at Mr. Z’s face when the inner sleeve is pulled out. Good humor/humour.

Back