The National

And it looks like they played through the entire new album

I was there. Album in entirety front to back, and yes they filmed it. Entry was a bit of a clusterf@ck as they let us into the lounge to keep out of the rain, where we waited about 50 mins, then they opened three doors at once.

Tiny room. They sounded great, really liked all the new songs.

Edit: Album in full except for the Taylor song. Matt opened the show by saying they were going to play the full album in sequence, but Alcott was not played.

Last edited:
I was there. Album in entirety front to back, and yes they filmed it. Entry was a bit of a clusterf@ck as they let us into the lounge to keep out of the rain, where we waited about 50 mins, then they opened three doors at once.

Tiny room. They sounded great, really liked all the new songs.
Thoughts on the new songs? Does Ice Machines sound the same as it did when they played it last year? That was one of my favorites they were playing then. I am hoping they actually release the video near the release date of the album as opposed to shelving it for years like the incredible Sleep Well Beast Basilica Hudson show.

Thoughts on the new songs? Does Ice Machines sound the same as it did when they played it last year? That was one of my favorites they were playing then. I am hoping they actually release the video near the release date of the album as opposed to shelving it for years like the incredible Sleep Well Beast Basilica Hudson show.
I didn't notice any difference in it. I had seen it twice prior to last night - Portland, ME & Pittsburgh, and it seemed to be the same arrangement.
Once Upon a Poolside starts with a beautiful piano melody. At first I was thinking oh, this is going to be a slow, and quiet album. It wasn't disappointment, but I'd been hoping for a more uptempo, louder opening to the album. I def think that's one that will grow on me. Really liked Alien, Your Mind is Not Your Friend and Send For Me. The only track on the new album that wasn't played is the Taylor Swift one. I have no idea what to expect from that one (I've stated before that she is not my cup of tea)
It's a strong album. While I do not dislike IAETF, I already feel this one is better, and can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy so I can sit and give it a proper "first" listen.
I also hope that the video gets released soon. Got to say hi to Tom Berninger as he was in charge of filming it. Here is a pic I snapped while we were waiting in the lounge. You can see them setting up the camera rigging through the window. It's a very small room and the sound was fabulous.

1678035288276.jpeg

if it's as good as you indicate, @threesunrises, we are in for another very special album

i for one rank iaetf super highly in their catalogue - i love the use of different (female) voices to accompany matt's baritone, and thought some of the lyrical touches were their best yet

can't wait to hear it

(and i love taylor swift and the two albums by the swiftional)

if it's as good as you indicate, @threesunrises, we are in for another very special album

i for one rank iaetf super highly in their catalogue - i love the use of different (female) voices to accompany matt's baritone, and thought some of the lyrical touches were their best yet

can't wait to hear it

(and i love taylor swift and the two albums by the swiftional)
I also love the female voices on IAETF. Unfortunately, I did not get to see Gail Ann Dorsey perform any of the tracks with them, though I did see her with them in Hudson, NY at a Planned Parenthood event before anyone was aware that IAETF was a thing!

Quiet Light is one of my fave tracks on that album, but I will say that I prefer the older unfinished version of Rylan without the female parts.

What are your thoughts about Tropic Morning News, New Order T-Shirt and even Weird Goodbyes (though that's not on this record), @whatwhatsaywhat? Of those, and any other live clips of new songs that you might have heard from TFTPOF, which, if any, do you really like or dislike?

That was the very first thing I said to my husband when we watched it on Saturday morning. I recall the mix on their SNL appearance for TWFM also had awful sound. Does NBC hate The Nats?
It’s funny because their performance on Fallon supporting IAETF was incredible. I wasn’t a big fan of “Oblivions” before seeing this, but I’d say it’s one of my favorites from that album.

It’s funny because their performance on Fallon supporting IAETF was incredible. I wasn’t a big fan of “Oblivions” before seeing this, but I’d say it’s one of my favorites from that album.

That’s right! I’d forgotten they did Fallon for IAETF (even though it’s prob saved somewhere on my DVR)

I also love Oblivions. Mina is so wonderful.

Remember this performance and how high a bar it set for the High Violet anticipation?

I was so excited! I still love the studio version though, and the alternate. But the muddy distorted guitar parts on the studio version are fantastic - and I’m probably in the minority on that. Love this preference though.

I also love the female voices on IAETF. Unfortunately, I did not get to see Gail Ann Dorsey perform any of the tracks with them, though I did see her with them in Hudson, NY at a Planned Parenthood event before anyone was aware that IAETF was a thing!

Quiet Light is one of my fave tracks on that album, but I will say that I prefer the older unfinished version of Rylan without the female parts.

What are your thoughts about Tropic Morning News, New Order T-Shirt and even Weird Goodbyes (though that's not on this record), @whatwhatsaywhat? Of those, and any other live clips of new songs that you might have heard from TFTPOF, which, if any, do you really like or dislike?

Good but not great, and a touch underwhelmed tbh

Back