The National

They are on some extreme chill wavelength with the last three songs they’ve put out. The songs seem to focus on looping and sustaining their spirit versus building and spiking in parts. If this is a good indicator of what’s on the record (some random guy on Reddit says he’s heard the whole thing and it’s all very mellow) this will either be a subtle masterpiece day mood companion to Sleep Well Beast’s night (Wake Poorly, Beauty?) or it will be the first National record to feel like they didn’t follow through on their swing. We’ll see!

They are on some extreme chill wavelength with the last three songs they’ve put out. The songs seem to focus on looping and sustaining their spirit versus building and spiking in parts. If this is a good indicator of what’s on the record (some random guy on Reddit says he’s heard the whole thing and it’s all very mellow) this will either be a subtle masterpiece day mood companion to Sleep Well Beast’s night (Wake Poorly, Beauty?) or it will be the first National record to feel like they didn’t follow through on their swing. We’ll see!
I'm fine with sleepy tbh. I'd prefer boisterous and bright, but with the electronic incorporations they've been doing, boisterous and bright might get too poppy. Sleep Well Beast is very, very good album, so I'd gladly take something like that again.

Tropic Morning News, while not necessarily super upbeat does build to a short guitar solo. And live it really pops as being a more energetic track. Not as energetic as they have been, but still not super mellow to me.

New Order T-Shirt is great. I love the guitar playing, I love the lyrics. I mean honestly I think the songs I've heard from the album so far are some of Matt's best writing in a while. Musically, the new song I guess almost recalls a mellower song from Boxer (like Start A War), but it's much more open and spacious sounding. Other than that I don't really know how it harkens back to their past much.

So I mean I love all of The National's albums, truly. But so far I think this record is already much more my thing than I Am Easy To Find. It sounds less ornate and more back to their core sound. (Not that there's anything wrong with the sound of IAETF!)

Tropic Morning News, while not necessarily super upbeat does build to a short guitar solo. And live it really pops as being a more energetic track. Not as energetic as they have been, but still not super mellow to me.
My husband does not like Tropic Morning News at all. He unfortunately was unable to attend any of the Nats shows I did last summer (Portland, ME, Pittsburgh, Port Chester & Harrisburg, PA) so has not seen the song live. Every time I listen to it, I can visualize Aaron's jamming towards the end of the song and am reminded of how alive that made me feel.

I think this new album is going to be great.

... boisterous and bright might get too poppy. Sleep Well Beast is very, very good album, so I'd gladly take something like that again.
No intent to offend pop music fans, but I was terrified that Aaron's working with Taylor might have too much influence on their sound. If you like her music, cool. I don't. I just don't get the appeal, but I also like other stuff that people dislike as well.

But, everything I've heard thus far has been great.

No intent to offend pop music fans, but I was terrified that Aaron's working with Taylor might have too much influence on their sound. If you like her music, cool. I don't. I just don't get the appeal, but I also like other stuff that people dislike as well.

But, everything I've heard thus far has been great.
I have this exact same opinion! I think we had a discussion about it a couple of pages back here. I agree though, it doesn’t seem that she’s influencing the sound although the song with her is still unreleased.

A Nats friend thinks the Woodstock show is going to be the “record release” show. He also thinks that T Swift and Phoebe will be there. Thoughts on how likely you think this is?

It crossed my mind that it could be album in entirety even though release date isn’t until the end of April, but record release shows usually happen right before it drops.

A Nats friend thinks the Woodstock show is going to be the “record release” show. He also thinks that T Swift and Phoebe will be there. Thoughts on how likely you think this is?

It crossed my mind that it could be album in entirety even though release date isn’t until the end of April, but record release shows usually happen right before it drops.
When I first saw the email my first thought was that it'll absolutely be the record release. I went to one of the two nights when they played SWB in Hudson, NY in the Round back in 2017. They played the whole album front to back along with a couple of older songs in the encore. It was a very cool experience. This was a couple of months before the official release date.

When I first saw the email my first thought was that it'll absolutely be the record release. I went to one of the two nights when they played SWB in Hudson, NY in the Round back in 2017. They played the whole album front to back along with a couple of older songs in the encore. It was a very cool experience. This was a couple of months before the official release date.
We missed those Hudson shows because I didn't want to ask my daughter to pup sit yet again. Big mistake! One of the tracks from Hudson is on CT Vinyl Volume #1.

You raise a valid point. We were at the "official" SWB record release show at the Bowery Ballroom on the day the record came out. Could have gone to the Philly Union Transfer show two days prior but we already had tix to see Stereophonics at Irving Plaza in NYC and it had been years since we last saw them.

The friend I've mentioned that I was texting was at both the Basilica shows and actually gave me one of the 45's that were given out at the show since she knows I'm a vinyl collector. When we went to the Planned Parenthood fundraiser at Hudson Hall in Dec. 2018, we walked around town and saw that 45 in a very overpriced record store on the main strip with a price tag of $50. Looks like it went for $72 a couple years ago but you can get it now for about $15 on discogs. Oh, and we made a point of driving to the Basilica just to look at it. Such a cool venue.

We missed those Hudson shows because I didn't want to ask my daughter to pup sit yet again. Big mistake! One of the tracks from Hudson is on CT Vinyl Volume #1.

You raise a valid point. We were at the "official" SWB record release show at the Bowery Ballroom on the day the record came out. Could have gone to the Philly Union Transfer show two days prior but we already had tix to see Stereophonics at Irving Plaza in NYC and it had been years since we last saw them.

The friend I've mentioned that I was texting was at both the Basilica shows and actually gave me one of the 45's that were given out at the show since she knows I'm a vinyl collector. When we went to the Planned Parenthood fundraiser at Hudson Hall in Dec. 2018, we walked around town and saw that 45 in a very overpriced record store on the main strip with a price tag of $50. Looks like it went for $72 a couple years ago but you can get it now for about $15 on discogs. Oh, and we made a point of driving to the Basilica just to look at it. Such a cool venue.
lol I sold a second copy, my fiance and I both got one and we don't need two, for $50 to some guy in Spain a few months after the show. I had no idea it was going for so cheap now!

Back