The National

Agreed IAETF is muuch better than both Frankenstein and Laugh Track (which I had to look up the name of because I had entirely forgotten about it).
I still haven’t purchased Laughing Track on vinyl. I know I will since I own nearly everything they’ve released but I am hoping to find a used copy for under $20 at some point since that’s about how much it’s worth to me.

IAETF has always been good! it was my AOTY in 2019
I still much prefer Sleep Well Beast when it come to latter day National albums but I Am Easy To Find brings something unique to the table and because of that it personally took a minute for me to fully embrace the the album as a whole. Seeing them play IAETF songs live on tour really helped.

I still much prefer Sleep Well Beast when it come to latter day National albums but I Am Easy To Find brings something unique to the table and because of that it personally took a minute for me to fully embrace the the album as a whole. Seeing them play IAETF songs live on tour really helped.
SWB was more immediate to me and I also liked it a lot, but I think IAETF has slightly better songs/higher highs than SWB has. I'd probably rank IAETF right above SWB.

SWB is my favorite National album and I appreciate the level of maturity and skill they displayed on IAETF and, in retrospect, some of those songs have become exciting rarities to see live but…for a few years there, when SWB and IAETF were their newest albums, their live sets became a little too sleepy for them with a ton of slower songs. The LA show I went to after FTPOF and LT was the most exciting, varied, and fun setlist they’ve ever had, IMO.

I also think FTPOF and Laugh Track suffer from things that, outside of music quality, are good, healthy things. The band members are busy with other work, sharing their best ideas with new collaborators, less unhealthily obsessive with the idea of perfecting songs, not above taking advantage of cool opportunities, and happy to make music that might not have fit their narrow definition of what should be on a National album 10 years ago.

Back