The National

Matt supposedly quit drinking a while back but was definitely imbibing at the show we attended in 2023 so maybe he just took a break. Regardless, my dude definitely enjoys his vino while performing…in a fun way, not a train wreck sorta way.

Yeah I was close enough to see he was drinking mostly water (I assume) and once or twice he sipped from something else but it was quick and may have been a snack for all I could see. Not like the drummer for WoD who had a cup of red in a proper wine glass during their set

Post-2020 fandom has been really odd all over. It feels like going on TikTok or online to break some news or controversy is part of the concert going experience for some people? Like did people actually believe he was drunk and rambling all night or are they consciously trying to stir the pot for engagement from others? I was concerned when I read the first thread but relieved to hear that it was not the case that he was relapsing to the point of being unintelligible on tour.

Matt supposedly quit drinking a while back but was definitely imbibing at the show we attended in 2023 so maybe he just took a break. Regardless, my dude definitely enjoys his vino while performing…in a fun way, not a train wreck sorta way.
He threw his cup to me and my husband two times in 2023, and there was definitely tequila in it.

Philly was a great show. Matt was more loose tonight than in MD so be ready for more comments. Lot of different songs on the set tonight so seeing them two nights in a row paid off. Bonus wasn't in the pit so was able to snag this (makes up for a not great looking poster)
View attachment 213876
Where in the pit were you? My daughter and I somehow ended up on stage last night 😂

@threesunrises you weren't at the Merriweather show right?
No, Philly is my only show. Though my daughter and I are seriously debating the Portland, OR show since it's on my bday and hers is the next day.

Honestly, I dislike the idea of a co-headlining tour when it comes to the Nats. Prices were high, it seemed that shows did not sell well. And, what was once a CT perk, albeit at only very few shows, became a VIP option (soundcheck) Since I knew this was going to be our only show, I did go all in for the soundcheck, which was a lot of fun, much different than the one I attended in Florida in 2018. At St. Augustine, no pix, video or talking was allowed. This time around the band was interacting with the crowd, it was a much more light event.

Seeing a lot of people on reddit saying that Matt appeared drunk and "off" at these past few shows. Perhaps it's because I was so "into the moment" that I didn't pick up on that at all. My only complaint is that it was a shortened set. WoD were great as usual, and I enjoyed Lucius, but when I see the Nats, I want as much as I can get from them.

I was worried that Matt got annoyed at me for rushing the stage, but he was nice enough to pull up Aaron's setlist and hand it to me. He also pulled up another and rolled it up and put it in Zooey, the service dog's mouth. I know Zooey's owner, we first met at Homecoming, and was chatting with her before the show. We ended up sitting next to eachother. She told me that her dog has been backstage twice!

No, Philly is my only show. Though my daughter and I are seriously debating the Portland, OR show since it's on my bday and hers is the next day.

Honestly, I dislike the idea of a co-headlining tour when it comes to the Nats. Prices were high, it seemed that shows did not sell well. And, what was once a CT perk, albeit at only very few shows, became a VIP option (soundcheck) Since I knew this was going to be our only show, I did go all in for the soundcheck, which was a lot of fun, much different than the one I attended in Florida in 2018. At St. Augustine, no pix, video or talking was allowed. This time around the band was interacting with the crowd, it was a much more light event.

Seeing a lot of people on reddit saying that Matt appeared drunk and "off" at these past few shows. Perhaps it's because I was so "into the moment" that I didn't pick up on that at all. My only complaint is that it was a shortened set. WoD were great as usual, and I enjoyed Lucius, but when I see the Nats, I want as much as I can get from them.

I was worried that Matt got annoyed at me for rushing the stage, but he was nice enough to pull up Aaron's setlist and hand it to me. He also pulled up another and rolled it up and put it in Zooey, the service dog's mouth. I know Zooey's owner, we first met at Homecoming, and was chatting with her before the show. We ended up sitting next to eachother. She told me that her dog has been backstage twice!

I met her at the md show. Seemed nice but also I can't imagine the sound is good for a dogs ears. Matt gave a setlist to a girl at the md show who was probably 14 and the freak out when she got it was heartwarming

I met her at the md show. Seemed nice but also I can't imagine the sound is good for a dogs ears. Matt gave a setlist to a girl at the md show who was probably 14 and the freak out when she got it was heartwarming
Agreed about the dog’s ears. And she’s an elderly dog. I personally would never subject my dog to that.

There was a young girl at soundcheck / show last night. I met her dad years ago in the queue for the Union transfer show and we were chatting. Was great to watch her singing along to both the Nats and wod. After their set I asked for wod setlist and gave it to her. There was a big red wine stain on it and she was confused til her dad explained what it was. She was so happy to get it, it was so sweet.

Agreed about the dog’s ears. And she’s an elderly dog. I personally would never subject my dog to that.

There was a young girl at soundcheck / show last night. I met her dad years ago in the queue for the Union transfer show and we were chatting. Was great to watch her singing along to both the Nats and wod. After their set I asked for wod setlist and gave it to her. There was a big red wine stain on it and she was confused til her dad explained what it was. She was so happy to get it, it was so sweet.

That's awesome. I wasn't able to get any set lists from being in the pit and didn't have an easy way to get to the sound booth after wod but glad I got the Nats setlist last night

Back