The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

7/28/23
4b387b001b4918228fff5f9c4ddf20aa2ac11201

BB King - Live at the Regal

I like how this feels like one continuous jam, with B.B. telling his stories throughout with some blues guitaring.

Hell of a voice, too.

4 / 5 stars.

I'm confused by the responses around don't like Pixies... I've never met anyone that didn't like the Pixies. lol

I'm much more likely to listen to Surfer Rosa, but the noise plus pop hook here was what made them super influential. This is a landmark album and still holds up well.

I'm confused by the responses around don't like Pixies... I've never met anyone that didn't like the Pixies. lol

I'm much more likely to listen to Surfer Rosa, but the noise plus pop hook here was what made them super influential. This is a landmark album and still holds up well.

I allowed my Spotify to play The Pixies again so I could listen to this. It's fine. I think their hits are severely overplayed.

Yeah, I feel like “Gigantic” was in a phone commercial like 5 years ago but beyond that I am missing the incessant Pixie airplay. I am sure @Bohnjaggs is hearing it a lot I just haven’t noticed here though.
It's (it being "Where is My Mind") been in a lot of movies. @Bohnjaggs weekly roundup is usually no more than one play of any given album, so his mileage may vary from ours.

Last edited:
'Here Comes Your Man' was probably their biggest radio hit until Fight Club came out and really blew 'Where is my Mind' up.
wiki confirms "Here Comes Your Man" being their biggest hit with a #3 on the alternative chart.

edit: and it's important to note this is the pre-nirvana alternative chart too. So this would get you play on the college radio stations and on 120 minutes, but they weren't talking about you on the weekly video countdown or anything.

Last edited:

I've always had a hard time getting into the Pixies. I didn't get to listen to this one in full to see if it changed my mind.

Back