The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

Yeah that’s not a demographic that screams “man overarching cliches are reductive” or “oh those guys have it so hard, I’d better lay off the criticism”.
I completely agree. My argument isn’t that you’re “punching down” or that they don’t deserve criticism it’s just too easy.

My wife spent a good bit of the afternoon trying to rationalize why folks, including herself like The Eagles. This really started in earnest after she was singing along and went “yeah, this is mediocre.” I was like “that’s exactly what’s wrong with them.”

She made comments about it being vanilla and safe (more specifically artificial vanilla not real vanilla). She also said there is a certain amount of longing in the songs that many connect with. She also discussed the singability, that their songs are easy to remember and sing a long with. Also that it’s country lite which probably appeals to those that would rather not admit they like Country.

She also agreed with me that the singles are good and the rest is forgettable. Like there are no deep cuts that are worth a that’s my favorite to seem cool or whatever.

Last edited:
11/3/23
View attachment 186332
The Eagles - Hotel California

Not the worst thing ever. It shouldn't be on this list, but it's there cause Rolling Stone can't seem to let this go in their top100 I'm fairly certain. Even then, "Hotel California" is a very ho-hum (and creepy, as @Joe Mac mentioned) lead off. "New Kid in Town" and "Life in the Fast Lane" are perfectly inoffensive AOR.

Practically all downhill otherwise. It's still dad rock. The album tracks are unmemorable to the point that I can't recall the names an hour after playing it through.
It’s a lite 3 for me. Bordering damn close to getting a two.
Well, I'll take care of that for you.

Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

I don’t expect every album on the list to be up my alley. I’ve stopped trying to argue why an album belongs on the list for the most part. We may not like the Eagles but I don’t think that means it doesn’t belong on a list of 1000 albums you should listen to.

They are one of the best selling artists of all time and by all accounts this is their most lauded album. I think it is hard to be able to talk about popular music as a whole if you don’t at least attempt to listen to popular music. Not saying you have to like and I’m not saying you need to be like me and actually listen to albums you already know you don’t like or would rather not listen to. But I don’t think we should discount any album that has sold like this one has and I’m not sure how I’d feel if greatest hits was here. Honestly.

The Eagles self titled album is probably my favorite from them actually. A big reason the Hotel California one sold a lot too is because it came after their huge selling greatest hits album, so none of these hits were on there.

I enjoy the Eagles more than most here, but definitely agree with a lot of the negative opinions except for the ones that just say they were shit. My parents are those boomers whom this is their favorite band so I grew up listening to them a lot. I also agree their singles are their bread and butter, and for most people a greatest hits comp would suffice. Probably a 3.5/5 for me.

The Eagles self titled album is probably my favorite from them actually. A big reason the Hotel California one sold a lot too is because it came after their huge selling greatest hits album, so none of these hits were on there.

I enjoy the Eagles more than most here, but definitely agree with a lot of the negative opinions except for the ones that just say they were shit. My parents are those boomers whom this is their favorite band so I grew up listening to them a lot. I also agree their singles are their bread and butter, and for most people a greatest hits comp would suffice. Probably a 3.5/5 for me.
This is what I have and I really think this is all you need. Includes the stuff from Hotel.

Back