The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I WILL SHOUT AT KIDS ON MY LAWN WHEN I WANT!!!

I stand by getting airplay is not innovation. At best it is luck or skill at marketing. I'm not claiming that Leftfield was a top 40 group. What I am stating is that Beyonce did not bring anything other than ears to the music. That's important, I won't deny that, but it is not innovation.
House music has rarely been apart of the pop music conversation taking something from the underground and turning it into pop music is innovative within that context. No one is claiming Beyonce created or revolutionized house music but by incorporating house music into her R&B and Pop sound she made an album that sounds like nothing else within Pop music today. They play "Unbreak My Soul" at the grocery store fore Pete's sake

House music has rarely been apart of the pop music conversation taking something from the underground and turning it into pop music is innovative within that context. No one is claiming Beyonce created or revolutionized house music but by incorporating house music into her R&B and Pop sound she made an album that sounds like nothing else within Pop music today. They play "Unbreak My Soul" at the grocery store fore Pete's sake
counterargument:

I would even be more willing to concede your point @TenderLovingKiller® if it meant that more people would seek out proper house music, but that's not gonna happen either. I don't think it lifts the profile of the music. It's possible that it does, but Timbaland and others bringing Drum n Bass elements to RnB in the late 90s and early 2000s didn't bring a spotlight on the genre. (I'd also point to Timbaland's work there in incorporating the Drum N Bass sounds into R N B, instead of just straight jacking the beats was MORE innovative than Beyonce's House tribute, too.) :p

I love you. I understand your point, just clearly & strongly disagree with it.
I will only add that maybe give kids a bit more credit. I found out about Sonic Youth and The Pixies as kid because of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and many didn't know shit about The Blues until The Stones started playing with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. in 5 or 10 years maybe we have a 3rd wave house revival.

2/8/23
ab67616d0000b273bd732535635abc590e07d68a

Leftfield - Leftism

Allmusic Review:

I'm pretty sure I managed to go 28 years without realizing it was John Lydon doing vocals on "Open Up" - wild!

I will only add that maybe give kids a bit more credit. I found out about Sonic Youth and The Pixies as kid because of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain and many didn't know shit about The Blues until The Stones started playing with Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters. in 5 or 10 years maybe we have a 3rd wave house revival.
I don't know, it seems like the rock audience has cared more about its roots than the Pop audience. Outside of Lady Gaga working with Tony Bennet, you don't see a lot of it...

Pre-dated any forms of "augmentation" for me personally. But definitely not for the guy that introduced me to it!
I mean, this is post my Rave days.... it's weird what classic house and techno stuff is on spotify and what isn't. Like how are the Northern Exposure comps not there and Drums are Dangerous and Dubtribe Sound System's Debut?

or you could just shout at a wall since no one is claiming otherwise within the context of house music.

I Don't recall anybody ever playing Leftfield on top 40 radio.

Context matters.
"Open Up" featuring John Lydon, the track which brought Leftfield their commercial cross over. It remains one of the weirdest ever top 20 hits
:P

HOW DOES ONE BOLD AN EMOJI!!!??!!??!!??

Back