The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

We can praise without criticising someone else? I’m not particularly fond of either but still. I seem to remember leftfield being relatively big and on the radio as a teenager. NME loved them too from my memory of the late 90s. It probably helped that the biggest radio station in the uk at the time wasn’t commercial.

We can praise without criticising someone else? I’m not particularly fond of either but still. I seem to remember leftfield being relatively big and on the radio as a teenager. NME loved them too from my memory of the late 90s. It probably helped that the biggest radio station in the uk at the time wasn’t commercial.
I'm confused, TLK and I are having a semantics argument over multiple threads...

I probably haven't listened to Leftfield since I travelled to London in the mid-90s while the whole rave/house-scene was happening in the clubs. In high school, house/trance/rave was what the cool kids listened to and I wasn't really that cool and didn't really get it until I actually started to go to clubs myself a few years later.

I don't think I've actually listen to the whole album before, and it was a nice surprise. More varied than I had anticipated and a lot of great hooks och and beats, naturally. But also not something I think I'll listen to regularly these days as it feels a bit encapsulated in its era. Score: 3/5

SO WHAT'S THE FOOKING PROBLEM THEN JOE?!!??

I thought praising something by criticising something else wasn’t very nice and not necessarily called for. Especially as it came 27 years later in a different country. It’s more understandable if it’s relatively contemporaneous and there is competition/niggle there. Praise something by praising it.

Wait, are you thinking I was criticizing Leftfield by saying it was wasn’t being played on top 40 radio?
I mean I like the concept of the Super Market and Costco... the in(s)ane people that are also there suck the joy out of the possibilities.
The secret is going to the super market midday during the work week. It’s just me and the retired. I can zip around unencumbered by in crazies.

Wait, are you thinking I was criticizing Leftfield by saying it was wasn’t being played on top 40 radio?

The secret is going to the super market midday during the work week. It’s just me and the retired. I can zip around unencumbered by in crazies.

No I’m thinking lee can praise Leftfield without shitting on Beyoncé. The second bit was me going off on a rambling anecdote about how leftfield were a bit more popular outside the clubs in 90s britain than it seems they were in 90s america

It used to be the case prepandemic. I’m convinced no one has jobs anymore.

I also think @joemac is saying I’m criticizing Beyoncé.

No I’m thinking lee can praise Leftfield without shitting on Beyoncé. The second bit was me going off on a rambling anecdote about how leftfield were a bit more popular outside the clubs in 90s britain than it seems they were in 90s america
I’m not shitting on Beyoncé. More trying to understand the stance by TLK and others that her new album is some innovative masterpiece.

I’m not shitting on Beyoncé. More trying to understand the stance by TLK and others that her new album is some innovative masterpiece.

Oh right. I know her stuff generally doesn’t click for me so I tend to leave it alone, let those who enjoy it enjoy it and get on with what I enjoy myself 🤷🏻

I’ve always found the innovative v derivative argument boring. Prefer like it v don’t like it.

Oh right. I know her stuff generally doesn’t click for me so I tend to leave it alone, let those who enjoy it enjoy it and get on with what I enjoy myself 🤷🏻

I’ve always found the innovative v derivative argument boring. Prefer like it v don’t like it.
Much to my wife’s chagrin, I am actually a Beyoncé fan. I think the eponymous record and Lemonade actually are masterpieces.

So far behind today, internet issues this morning, ugh!

I have listened to this in the not too distance past and thought it was terrible, I shall have another listen and see if things have changed.

Back