The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

Couple of thoughts about my second listen.

1. Psych rock makes no sense to me… this kind of mid album is ranked four and 1/2 stars and is a classic rock staple. I don’t hate it but I can’t imagine why I would buy this or listen to it on my own. But no one has ever heard of Farm.
2. I actually thought the words to the title song were “In the garden of Eden” and I sang that until I saw it written and was like well what does that mean?

Iron Butterfly was bad. I mean like, really bad. Like almost-ruined-my-whole-day kind of bad.

I love the Mamas and the Papas! Those harmonies are divine, and California Dreamin’ is like a top 20 song of all time, IMHO. It is also featured in a sublime way to express alienation and longing in one of my favorite movies of all time, ”Chunking Express” by Wong Kar-Wai:

Iron Butterfly was bad. I mean like, really bad. Like almost-ruined-my-whole-day kind of bad.

I love the Mamas and the Papas! Those harmonies are divine, and California Dreamin’ is like a top 20 song of all time, IMHO. It is also featured in a sublime way to express alienation and longing in one of my favorite movies of all time, ”Chunking Express” by Wong Kar-Wai:

I was just thinking of that scene

Another perfect Nick album. Why does the book need all 3 of his albums in there? But if they are going to put in 27 Byrds albums, then why not more Nick
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I get why certain bands and artists can have multiple albums in this book but only if the albums showcase different aspects their career or have some other noteworthy thing that sets them apart. For example, I can totally understand including both Aftermath and Exile on Main Street since they showcase two quite different aspects of the Stones' legacy and greatness. I can also see an argument being made for having both Mr Tambourine Man and Sweethearts of the Rodeo for the same reasons. But having every Nick Drake album on this list is pretty redundant. They´re all great, but one is enough to showcase his talent and lasting legacy. Especially when so many great artists and bands isn't represented at all in the book. But I guess this is a problem with all canonic lists of art. Everybody will always have an opinion that differs.

5/28/24
View attachment 204190
Hole - Live Through This

Kurt is a talented songwriter.

I am only half kidding. Most of the songs on this album I can imagine would translate quite well to Nirvana songs. Regardless, whether Kurt wrote the songs or was just (understandably) highly influential on Courtney and company, they recorded a killer album.

The funny thing about Hole is their follow up album Celebrity Skin everything I said about Kurt could apply to Billy Corgan on that album. Again, I doubt Billy wrote the entire album but he was certainly highly influential on how those songs sounded and you could easily imagine Billy singing killing a version of “Celebrity Skin” just like you can imagine Kurt shredding his vocal cords on a version of “Violet”.

Back