The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

This is one of the best albums ever made. I had just moved to Portland. 20 years old and everything I owned was in my car. I didn't have a place to live but had a job out there and drove out. Within an hour of reaching the city I was working and didn't know where I'd be sleeping that night. Slept in my car in the parking lot for the first night listening to this album on repeat. The next night I got a hotel and the day after the district manager let me crash at her house, because they ended up needing me to work and I didn't have time to apartment hunt. I worked 26 days straight (most days were 15+ hours long) before I got a day off. It was a crazy time in my life, but when you're young and have the best damn Johnny Cash album to keep you company, why not be really depressed about moving across the country to live in your car and do nothing but work? Eventually I found an apartment in a shady neighborhood close to work and spent the next several months working the most insane schedule (I worked Monday from 4 PM till 2 AM then Tuesday from 7 AM till 5 PM, and repeat for 6 days a week, Sunday off). I didn't know anyone and didn't really have time to, so I drank a lot of beer and listened to a lot of music on the floor of my apartment that had no furniture, till I bought some camping chairs. Eventually made friends with a great guy from work who was taking care of his uncle's house right across the state border in Washington and right on a river. Sunday's turned into us drinking a couple 30 racks of Hamms while floating down the river with West Coast hillbillies (right out of Deliverance, seriously, they even bragged about how part of the movie was shot there) listening to Johnny Cash on a little waterproof portable. Went from a depressing time to one of the best damn summers of my life. Hillbillies are often really good folk.

This is one of the best albums ever made. I had just moved to Portland. 20 years old and everything I owned was in my car. I didn't have a place to live but had a job out there and drove out. Within an hour of reaching the city I was working and didn't know where I'd be sleeping that night. Slept in my car in the parking lot for the first night listening to this album on repeat. The next night I got a hotel and the day after the district manager let me crash at her house, because they ended up needing me to work and I didn't have time to apartment hunt. I worked 26 days straight (most days were 15+ hours long) before I got a day off. It was a crazy time in my life, but when you're young and have the best damn Johnny Cash album to keep you company, why not be really depressed about moving across the country to live in your car and do nothing but work? Eventually I found an apartment in a shady neighborhood close to work and spent the next several months working the most insane schedule (I worked Monday from 4 PM till 2 AM then Tuesday from 7 AM till 5 PM, and repeat for 6 days a week, Sunday off). I didn't know anyone and didn't really have time to, so I drank a lot of beer and listened to a lot of music on the floor of my apartment that had no furniture, till I bought some camping chairs. Eventually made friends with a great guy from work who was taking care of his uncle's house right across the state border in Washington and right on a river. Sunday's turned into us drinking a couple 30 racks of Hamms while floating down the river with West Coast hillbillies (right out of Deliverance, seriously, they even bragged about how part of the movie was shot there) listening to Johnny Cash on a little waterproof portable. Went from a depressing time to one of the best damn summers of my life. Hillbillies are often really good folk.
Speaking as a citified Hillbilly, I agree.

Man, I'm slacking here. Been busy and work and I feel like I stopped getting email notifications or something.

Yardbirds was OK
Eurhythmics was better than I expected
Kate Bush was fine. Kind of weird. Need to spend more time on it

I'm not really a country fan but I listened to that Johnny Cash album a lot when it came out (probably more songs than others)

I think that about covers the past week.

Besides the cousin thing, is there anything about Lewis that’s awful? I don’t remember much about the movie. lol.

This is a dynamic and energetic performance and a truly great live album.

Besides the cousin thing, is there anything about Lewis that’s awful? I don’t remember much about the movie. lol.

This is a dynamic and energetic performance and a truly great live album.

She was like 12 and he was mid 20s!

One of the many marriages was bigamous.

Frequent allegations of spousal abuse.

The coroner believing that he caused the methadone overdose that killed his fifth wife.

Back