The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I remember hearing this album the first time- between the title track and his voice through out being a little sad because it seemed like he wouldn’t be around much longer. I remember when June died, I was like he won’t be far behind her…it was five months before he went to be with her.

I’m not crying… you are…

Did Nick Cave ever do a Country Covers Album? Maybe that’s what I need to unlock him? I definitely didn’t like that punk band album that’s in the book. I have Boatman’s Call but it doesn’t exactly speak to me yet. Murder Ballads was a little much… any recs on a good entry point knowing all of that?

Ball of tears is right. I just listened to Steve Earle's J.T. right before you posted this.

If you're unfamiliar, the closer...

I’m a novice on ol Earle. I know the deal there but haven’t listened. I really dig his debut when we pulled it and grabbed it on vinyl, so I’m fairly certain I’ll be deep diving his catalog at some point. I knew Copperhead Road and the other stuff that got played on the AOR stations when I was in high school/college.

Did Nick Cave ever do a Country Covers Album? Maybe that’s what I need to unlock him? I definitely didn’t like that punk band album that’s in the book. I have Boatman’s Call but it doesn’t exactly speak to me yet. Murder Ballads was a little much… any recs on a good entry point knowing all of that?

Try Push The Sky Away. It's not country but it's quite emotional. Aside from Grinderman, another of my faves is Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!.

I’m a novice on ol Earle. I know the deal there but haven’t listened. I really dig his debut when we pulled it and grabbed it on vinyl, so I’m fairly certain I’ll be deep diving his catalog at some point. I knew Copperhead Road and the other stuff that got played on the AOR stations when I was in high school/college.

I look forward to you taking the deep dive! Been doing so the past two years myself. Always liked "Copperhead Road" and anything else I heard along the way, but didn't seek out a ton. Townes was the first full album I listened to and Ghosts of West Virginia was the first album I truly fell in love with and bought within a week of release. Trickled a bit from there and then last year I went in extra hard. I'm only missing a few now – the most expensive ones!

J.T. was my Father's Day gift to myself last year. Because apparently I'm a masochist.
Obviously. At the same time, the fact you can hear a record like that and be moved is proof you're still engaged, still here, still invested in this world and what's important.

Jimmy V boiled it down simplistically but pretty well. If everyone in the world adhered to this, I think we'd be a much more stable, sane, caring place...

"If you laugh, you think and you cry, that's a full day." - Jim Valvano

Back