The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I have OGs of the first 2 albums, before they had to add Jr to their name.

SST put out a lot of amazing albums in the 80s (and fucked them over)

For me Bug is indie rock ground zero
I have an OG of Your Living All Over Me that’s sans the “Jr.”. Seems like a lot of SST titles from that era come pressed on Tha translucent brown Quiex II vinyl formula and sound fantastic too.

I love Dinosaur Jr but I haven't actually listened to "Bug" (or even the first three albums) all that much to be honest. I do think "You're Living All Over Me" is a more influental album, but "Bug" is where Mascis hit his song writing stride that later bloomed on the Sire albums, that I still think are their (or rather his/Mascis) best, probably mostly due to "Where You Been" being my introduction to the band when it came out. I really like the reunion stuff too. "Bug" is still a great album though! 4 stars!

"Graceland" is an album that has kinda snuck up on me in the last couple of years and I probably rate it in my top 100 of all time today! I had only heard the obvious cuts ( "Al" and the title track mostly) from it before I picked it up on vinyl at a thrift store a couple of years ago, and I got hooked by the whole album. I know of all the controversies and stuff, but I'm with Simon on this: It's all about the music. And it's wonderful! 5 stars!

10/11/24

View attachment 215806
Paul Simon - Graceland

I had this in my top10 of 1986 back when Woob_woob ran the Album of the year - Endgame for each year thread. It might not be in my top10 if I remade my list now. Tastes have changed significantly five years later.
That doesn't mean Graceland is unenjoyable now; it is still a singer/songwriter delight. Vibrant instrumentals throughout.

Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]

Back