The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I really like this one, it kind of hits like Sonic Youth, Pixies and Jesus and Mary Chain collaborated together. I’ve not spent too much time with Loveless but this at least strikes a nerve with me in this moment and I don’t remember Loveless doing that. We’ll see what happens when we pull it.

Hot take: I genuinely think this is a better album than ”Loveless”. And I love ”
I disagree but only barely though. Loveless was my introduction to MBV so that is probably what tilts me that way but Isn’t Anything is really excellent and probably the album I listen to the most at this point t just because I am slighly less familiar overall.
I just realized I replied to the wrong post I meant to reply to @Whiteout75 not @Rip_City

I agree with @Rip_City completely.

The critics in Britain loved this around then. Ir was a bit sterile if I recall correctly. I can’t see myself being bothered to listen to it again.
I’ll give it a listen in a bits. Never heard of it. Allmusic says he has a blend of reggae and trip hop and I find it hard to see how that could be sterile, but then I’ve never heard it and I know there are a bunch around here who think it’s crazy that I find Ride and Slowdive and Spoon boring.

I just realized I replied to the wrong post I meant to reply to @Whiteout75 not @Rip_City

I agree with @Rip_City completely.
I ended up devoting most of my day yesterday to the entire MBV ouvre, and I concede. "isn't anything" and "loveless" are pretty much tied for the top spot. They are actually more different than I've always remembered them to be. Also, nothing in their entire output comes close to "you made me realise". That song is fucking raw and feels like a brick to the head every time I hear it. I understand why it didn't really fit with the theme and sound of "isn't anything" but still puts them in the tradition of bands who leaves some of their best stuff outside of the albums. Also, I still have a hard time with "m.b.v.". It feels sketchy and unfinished, which is weird for an album that took almost twenty years to complete.

Last edited:
I have a refined sense of what I like, but I didn't have a good sense of what I hate. Most things are just meh to me. Not enough to get me to rage.

Lots makes me rage but then I tend to be someone who is drawn to emotion in art. Or rather art that provokes emotions in me. I also like to mess with people using faux outrage because I’m a bit of a messer.

There’s very little music that angers me. Musicians sometimes anger me. Morgan Wallen angers me but I couldn’t tell you if I’ve ever heard a song by the fucker. Even like FJM, I’d just rather not listen to him but he doesn’t anger me. I wouldn’t turn the station if this guy today came on the radio, but he probably wouldn’t make me stop if I was channel surfing.

Last edited:
Back