The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

They’re kind of like if Flaming Lips and Uncle Tupelo were the same band.

Have Tweedy and Farrar ever talked about the Meat Puppets. I feel like there is an alternate universe where they became the dad band of choice.
In a post on his Substack last year, accompanying a cover of "Plateau", Tweedy wrote, "...I can’t think of another record I listened to more growing up than Meat Puppets II" and "...I also don’t like making lists of favorite records for people because I get asked to do it all the time for 'rock mags,' and I can assure you I’ve left this record off of some of them inadvertently. And I'll admit that any list of my favorite records, be it top ten, five, or even two is a pack of lies if Meat Puppets II isn’t on it. Just a one-of-a-kind gift of inspiration and imagination that’s magic hasn’t ever come close to wearing off. I love it. And it’s loved me back."

Last edited:
In a post on his Substack last year, accompanying a cover of "Plateau", Tweedy wrote, "...I can’t think of another record I listened to more growing up than Meat Puppets II" and "...I also don’t like making lists of favorite records for people because I get asked to do it all the time for 'rock mags,' and I can assure you I’ve left this record off of some of them inadvertently. And I'll admit that any list of my favorite records, be it top ten, five, or even two is a pack of lies if Meat Puppets II isn’t on it. Just a one-of-a-kind gift of inspiration and imagination that’s magic hasn’t ever come close to wearing off. I love it. And it’s loved me back."

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!!!

When Jeff and his family were doing episodes of The Tweedy Show during Covid, he and his son Sammy would duet on lots of Meat Puppets songs

A phenomenal record, even if it isn't as historically and musically influential as Loveless.

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]
I disagree but only barely though. Loveless was my introduction to MBV so that is probably what tilts me that way but Isn’t Anything is really excellent and probably the album I listen to the most at this point t just because I am slighly less familiar overall.

Last edited:
I disagree but only barely though. Loveless was my introduction to MBV so that is probably what tilts me that way but Isn’t Anything is really excellent and probably the album I listen to the most at this point t just because I am slight less familiar overall.
Same story here. As I said before, I love ”Loveless”, but that one sounds a lot as if a guy has fiddled with it in the studio for three years straight. ”Isn’t anything” sounds like a band with something to prove. And the tunes are better on this one generally.

Back