The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

Leonard Cohen ~ You Want it Darker

So much music comes from the energy of youth. I learn as I grow older that I'm attracted to those artists who I can identify with at different stages in my life, ones that write from the whole of the human experience. While I'm not quite ready to be in the position Leonard Cohen was in when he wrote this album, I can certainly appreciate it. 5/5

2/28/2023

ab67616d0000b2738060f67c9dde5fe1327d545d

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Love & Devotion

A review:

2/27/23

ab67616d0000b27352f532df7ba3269b0242fed9

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual

Allmusic Review:

This is an all-timer for me. It gets steady regular play in my world on digital, CD and vinyl. I think the A-side would be a heavy contender amongst the best A-sides of all time, and I think the B-side is better than so many say it is. ;) And I actually quite love the Prince cover.

A-side: 6/5
B-side: 4/5
Total: 5/5

This is an all-timer for me. It gets steady regular play in my world on digital, CD and vinyl. I think the A-side would be a heavy contender amongst the best A-sides of all time, and I think the B-side is better than so many say it is. ;) And I actually quite love the Prince cover.

It would seem that I am a minority on the Prince cover.

I'm with you on this, I think it's a great album. I enjoy the b-side too. Probably would give it a 4.5 if we could, but leaning to a 5 because I think its attitude stands the test of time.

I don't really know Zevon or even that album that well, but I do know that "Keep Me In Your Heart" might be one of the most perfect songs about dying, so it follows that the album must be pretty good too, right?

Also, according to Wikipedia:

Kinda hard to take the Dylan & Young entries seriously there, but Cash? Hmm. Something from him probably belongs on this list, and it's not American VI. IV is the obvious & only choice here, as the last album he released before his death, and one of the crowning achievements of his career.

A list of albums about dying, that's an interesting thought. Bowie, Prine, Cohen, Cash, Zevon...don't know who else folks might come up with, but that's a hell of a band already.
Donnie Fritts - Oh My Goodness belongs in this list.

Back