The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

Slint - Spiderland
Ah, Slint! That band I have pretended to be into for years, to impress people that don't even care.

It sounds like the very beginning of things that I would come to love. I can see a copy of this record on every single Discord band's shelf, and it is well-worn.

I was worried that "Don, Aman" had taken all the momentum out of things, but then "Washer" comes in and blows everything away, never to be the same again. Life-changing.

I miss you.

4 / 5 stars.

3/1/23
View attachment 168395
Slint - Spiderland

Allmusic review:

This was in heavy rotation for me during my college years. I've always been hesitant with the postrock label for this album, even though I can see the influence it had on what became postrock. It's one of those albums where the louder it is, the better it is. 4/5 to 5/5 depending on the day.

I think postrock is a weird label for any band. The bands that are associated with it are so diverse that it somehow loses any significance. It feels like it's something you tag stuff with that you can't really fit into any other label. But it is commonly used so I guess I have to just deal with it.

Now onto Slint. This is an album that I've tried to get into several times throughout the years, as it is seen as this important nexus between two eras in alternative rock, and I should love it for that at least. Every time I listen to it, the same thing happens: I appreciate it as an accomplished piece of music, dig the influences from earlier bands I love (such as Sonic Youth and Fugazi) and salute the impact it has had on other bands I love (everything from Mogwai and Godspeed You! to hardcore stuff like Refused and Quicksand). Then I don't think about or listen to it for a couple of years before I repeat the whole procedure. I think I know why now: It's quite simply a bit boring. It never really takes off in any particular direction (which probably is the whole point, I guess). But I find myself just waiting for them to let loose and just ROCK, which never really happens here. It all just feels like one big inhale after one another, and I'm just waiting for an exhale.

But all in all, it's great for what it is, and I somehow always find my way back to it every other year or so, so there's that. I look forward to listening to it again sometime in 2024/2025.

Score 4/5

Last edited:
png-transparent-tick-milk-caps-television-channel-fox-kids-others-miscellaneous-television-windows-presentation-foundation.png

Don't know any of this. The allmusic review calls it proto-punk. Seems more like Velvet Underground jangly pop to me. I like it.
Jonathan Richman was one of those people that bought a copy of Velvet Underground & Nico and formed a band. He was lucky enough to get to work with John Cale and recorded a bunch of demos which didn’t get released officially for another 3 years and by then Jonathan Richman had went a completely different way stylistically with his sound. His follow up album was released a month before Modern Lovers dropped.

Jonathan Richman was one of those people that bought a copy of Velvet Underground & Nico and formed a band. He was lucky enough to get to work with John Cale and recorded a bunch of demos which didn’t get released officially for another 3 years and by then Jonathan Richman had went a completely different way stylistically with his sound. His follow up album was released a month before Modern Lovers dropped.
Since I have a vague feeling that there is something to this dude that I should be seeking and I’m fairly certain this record ain’t it, where would you suggest I go next?

I’ve heard his name a bunch and I know he’s an influence on a lot of different people, but this sounded like Velvet Underground lite and well why drink lite beer when full strength tastes better?

Since I have a vague feeling that there is something to this dude that I should be seeking and I’m fairly certain this record ain’t it, where would you suggest I go next?

I’ve heard his name a bunch and I know he’s an influence on a lot of different people, but this sounded like Velvet Underground lite and well why drink lite beer when full strength tastes better?
Just watch There's Something About Mary.

Back