The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn - Love and Devotion
Yeah, I don't know how to approach this at all.

This is so far outside my wheelhouse, I'm thinking about things and musically things sound very good, I especially like the sound of that really deep drum / percussion throughout. The vocals have a great rhythm, and they flow in and out of the music really well.

An hour and a half is a very long time.

2 / 5 stars.

Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn - Love and Devotion
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat here. I feel as if I lack the codes to truly dechifre this. I havn't really listened to any qawwali music before, although I'm familiar with this particular artist in name at least. I know some of my friends got really hooked on him (and other so called "world music") in the 90s, but I never really picked up on it then or since.

But I don't dislike it. He's got a truly great voice, and there's a melody here or a groove there that I can pick up on, so I might return to this sometime in the future.

Score 3/5

Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn ~ Love and Devotion

Enjoyed the listen, especially the percussion. I was only familiar with him from his work with Eddie Vedder on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack previously. 3/5

Yes! I knew I had heard more of him before! That's it! And I was also vaguely familiar with the stuff he did with Peter Gabriel for Last Temptation of Christ.

I'm having trouble rating this one as well because I'm just not very familiar with the genre. I was also having some trouble finding it on Apple Music (managed to find a playlist on YouTube but I'm not 100% sure it was the whole album). I definitely liked the sounds, especially the drums in a few of the songs. I'm giving it a 3/5 based on personal enjoyment but he seems like a very influential musician and I should probably do more research, lol.

I'm having trouble rating this one as well because I'm just not very familiar with the genre. I was also having some trouble finding it on Apple Music (managed to find a playlist on YouTube but I'm not 100% sure it was the whole album). I definitely liked the sounds, especially the drums in a few of the songs. I'm giving it a 3/5 based on personal enjoyment but he seems like a very influential musician and I should probably do more research, lol.

Interesting.
#1 the musicianship is amazing
#2 he is one of the all time great singers
#3 where as with a Love Supreme, I’ve never felt that transcendent experience folks talk about… this music absolute speaks to my soul. I don’t have to know what they are saying, my soul feels it, knows it is good and right - if that makes sense. I feel more connected to… everything through this music.

2/28/2023

ab67616d0000b2738060f67c9dde5fe1327d545d

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party - Love & Devotion

A review:

More like this please! Second favorite new discovery from these projects. This really transports me. It reminds me of North Africa and the cool dessert breeze at night. Sipping mint tea and hearing the Imam on the loud speaker calling for prayers. It fills me with peace and calm, but also a deep sense of a world we've lost to the modernization of everyday life. It's beautiful and enveloping. 5/5

Last edited:
I am changing my score for Love and Devotion to 3 / 5 stars, as it is good, and knocking 1 star off for its length doesn't feel quite right. When I was sailing the high seas for a copy of this, I couldn't actually find this as presented on Spotify and the 1001 list, only one record called Love Songs, and another called Devotion songs. Was this originally two releases and has since been jammed together to make this one?

I am changing my score for Love and Devotion to 3 / 5 stars, as it is good, and knocking 1 star off for its length doesn't feel quite right. When I was sailing the high seas for a copy of this, I couldn't actually find this as presented on Spotify and the 1001 list, only one record called Love Songs, and another called Devotion songs. Was this originally two releases and has since been jammed together to make this one?
you are correct, it was originally two releases in November of 1992, kind of like Use Your Illusions.
It looks like the compilation version was released in 2013.

Back