The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

3/15/23

8a66c77a43998c0048866e3bf966c137d5bebdd3

Circle Jerks - Group Sex

Allmusic Review:

RIYL Playlist:

Last edited:
14 songs in just under 16 minutes. This is pretty much the anti-thesis to Todd Rundgren!

I love early So-Cal hardcore/punk but The Circle Jerks are probably one of the bands I'm least familiar with from that scene (although I have Wild in the Streets on vinyl). Looking forward to hearing their debut in it's full glory!

Last edited:
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
If your punk album isn't 14 songs and 15 minutes long, are you even trying?!

I don't remember having much of a rebellious punk phase, so have never really listened to Circle Jerks, but can definitely hear their influence in the punk bands I did listen to growing up.

The guitarist was also in Black Flag and formed SST Records, that's pretty cool.

I'm finding the longer songs to be the highlights, "Operation", "Back Against The Wall", "World Up My Ass", "Live Fast Die Young" and "Red Tape" are great.

Decent listen.

3 / 5 stars.

3/15/23

8a66c77a43998c0048866e3bf966c137d5bebdd3

Circle Jerks - Group Sex

Allmusic Review:

RIYL Playlist:

I listened to the 40th Anniversary edition, which was expanded to a whole 23 minutes. Operation and Back Against the Wall are my two favorite tracks on the album. I'm not as much for punk as I was in my youth, but this album still rips. It's hard to judge punk on the same scale as most of these since the good punk bands suck on purpose a lot of times. But there's some great guitar shredding on a couple tracks here, which is more than a lot of punk bands could do (since many suck because they don't actually know how to play their instruments). I can only think of a small handful of punk albums that would be in 5/5 territory. This one is not that. But it's good 3.5/5.

Listened in the car while driving my son to his karate practice. A drive that takes about 20 minutes, so I actually got time for a couple of bonus tracks from Black Flag and Minutemen thanks to the Spotify algorithm.
And what can I say? Classic LA hardcore punk! And while there's plenty of better punk albums out there, this gets the job done! Score: 3.5 stars (which rounds up to an even 4 due to my 12 year old sons' comment when I played it: "Dad, you're truly weird for listening to this and actually liking it?")

I listened to today's album today at work when I was starting to lose energy and it definitely helped pick me back up a little. This wasn't the greatest punk album I've ever heard but I enjoyed it, 3/5.

Similar boat for me. Was losing energy and patience for everything. This album definitely helped get me through the final push. "World Up My Ass" felt like my personal soundtrack for today. Not one O imagine I need in my collection but nice to finally check it out. 3/5

Well, now I get to see everyone else tell me how I am wrong about this album. Well except for Stephen Thomas Erlewine. He agrees with me (except for his score).

I might try to write something a little more substantive than what I did in the other thread, but I don't think two more listens are going to change my opinion of this record.

Back