The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

This is a touchstone album. A turning point for the band and hip hop. It’s like Pet Sounds or the first Velvet Underground album, it wasn’t a runaway hit (although its flop is overstated) but its influence is remarkable. Ill Communication is my favorite Beasties record but this is arguably the most important.

8/19/24
View attachment 211514
Happy Mondays - Pills ‘N’ Thrills and Bellyaches

I can't remember if I ever listened to this album before or not, but I'm liking it so far. The only thing I really know from them is "Step" on and the fact that they have a member that just danced and played maracas on stage.

Pretty sure it’s mentioned at some point. He is now not a drug dealer and an iconic part of the band and sort of strange national treasure, but yeah that’s how it started.
Plus I think he just jumped up on stage one time when he was off his tits on E and just started dancing and he never left. I remember seeing Shaun Ryder on a show he said Bez was never officially asked to join the band, he just kept showing up so they said what the hell lets keep him

8/22/24
View attachment 211744
The Monkees - Headquarters

Does this mean there are multiple Monkees albums that we should listen to before we die?

I enjoy the Monkees (my mom was a big fan, she preferred them to The Beatles) but all anyone needs is a good Greatest Hits comp.

Does this mean there are multiple Monkees albums that we should listen to before we die?

I enjoy the Monkees (my mom was a big fan, she preferred them to The Beatles) but all anyone needs is a good Greatest Hits comp.
I don’t know and maybe I’ll look tomorrow to see if there’s more in my copy of the book.

I’ve only recently listened to their first album and I don’t think I’ve ever heard any other albums by them. I agree with you that a good comp is probably what you need for them.

This one is intriguing though because this is the album where the band asserted themselves as musicians and artists in their own right. Of course, I also don’t recognize any song titles.

Back