The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Lol. There’s a Lulu joke in here but I’m too distraught to make it…

Lulu was a no-win proposition from the get-go.

Neither band's camps were gonna approve although I feel Lou's were more receiving than Metallicas.

As shitty as everyone says that record is, here are the stats on my copy...

8 copies from $250.00
Shop now

Statistics​

• Have:425
  • Want:871
  • Avg Rating:3.97 / 5
  • Ratings:74
  • Last Sold:May 19, 2024
  • Low:$75.00
  • Median:$157.71
  • High:$899.99

Lulu was a no-win proposition from the get-go.

Neither band's camps were gonna approve although I feel Lou's were more receiving than Metallicas.

As shitty as everyone says that record is, here are the stats on my copy...

8 copies from $250.00
Shop now

Statistics​

• Have:425
  • Want:871
  • Avg Rating:3.97 / 5
  • Ratings:74
  • Last Sold:May 19, 2024
  • Low:$75.00
  • Median:$157.71
  • High:$899.99
I’ve honestly never listened to it. So I really can’t talk.

Can you imagine the conversation at Metallica HQ?

Lars: James, hear me out, I have a great idea. We do a concert with the symphony and film it so we can sell both the album and the video.
James: MORE BOOOZE!!!
Lars: You aren’t listening. We play with the SYM. PHO. KNEE
James: More money? I’m in.
Kirk: Hey guys look at me I am drinking my chocolate milk with a spoon.

I'll be the one to come in here and say I think this is a better album than a lot of what Metallica put out. Certainly better than anything from Load on. I get it isn't for everyone, but I still think it's a good listen. They did steal the idea from the Scorpions who were planning it before Metallica quickly executed their version first.

I’d be curious to hear what you think of it now and would genuinely like to hear why someone might like this.
I got it queued up to listen to next. I went through a pretty good Metallica phase in middle school and this album came out right at the peak of that. So I'm sure that played a big party in my affinity for it at the time. I'm also curious myself how I feel about it. I never really got into the Load and Re-Load era but I actually remember liking how some of those songs worked out live.

I'll be the one to come in here and say I think this is a better album than a lot of what Metallica put out. Certainly better than anything from Load on. I get it isn't for everyone, but I still think it's a good listen. They did steal the idea from the Scorpions who were planning it before Metallica quickly executed their version first.
I think it’s debatable if this is more listenable than the fan service albums starting with Death Magnetic. It’s probably about the same quality wise. All of it plays to their self-perceived strengths.

Also evidently Deep Purple did this back in the day. I bet that’s a snorefest.

I think is debatable this is more listenable than the fan service albums starting with Death Magnetic. It’s probably about the same quality wise. All of it plays to their self-perceived strengths
I didn't personally care for those, but I was never really into Metallica growing up so my opinion isn't likely to represent any of the fans. I liked Pantera and Megadeth way more back then🤘

I didn't personally care for those, but I was never really into Metallica growing up so my opinion isn't likely to represent any of the fans. I liked Pantera and Megadeth way more back then🤘
I actually think 72 seasons has some of Hetfield’s best lyrical content. TOO BAD ITS MIXED IN ALL CAPS.

I like Pantera. Never really got into Megafeth, I really dig Symphony for Destruction though.

I never fully got into metal. In 1999 I was more into radio alternative and nu-metal, so Metallica was kind of adjacent to that. Plus, 1999 is when I got an electric guitar so I probably thought Kirk Hammett was the shit.
I want to clarify my comment last night. Kirk was a great guitarist. In the majority of the live videos I see on YouTube, he doesn’t really appear to do anything anymore. James plays all the intricate riffs and a fair number of the solos. Hammett just busts out a crazy one every once in a while; wandering around the stage strumming but not necessarily audible. On some of the late night performances during the 72 cycle, it seemed like he didn’t even need to be there.

Back