The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

7/1/24
View attachment 207363
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

I bought this from a cheap Amazon deal having never heard anything from it. I probably listened to it one because it was a lot weirder than I though it was going to be. I'm working form home today so I'm digging out the vinyl and giving it another shot.

Edit: I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit.

Last edited:
This isn't my favorite King Crimson album, but it's up there. They had one of the best runs of albums for a few years there when this came out and Fripp's guitar playing still puzzles some of the best to ever do it. Reading about Vai trying to learn how to play some of these songs for the tour this year and he had to give up on a few because he couldn't get it down, and Vai was practically born with a guitar.

7/1/24
View attachment 207363
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Good album. Also overrated. "Moonchild" brings this down one full point.

Owned this album on the basis that it was "necessary for your collection" then PIFed it away last year. No regrets.

Rating: 3/5 [Good]

Good album. Also overrated. "Moonchild" brings this down one full point.

Owned this album on the basis that it was "necessary for your collection" then PIFed it away last year. No regrets.

Rating: 3/5 [Good]
Necessary is relative to your own tastes though, right?

I could see if you were big into prog how this could be a necessary album, but if you’re not, probably not as much.

It’s just a lot of noodling having a picnic in the English coast kind of thing.

Necessary is relative to your own tastes though, right?
But I was a victim to those claims. It's why I no longer take statements of "you must have this" or "your collection isn't complete UNLESS..." seriously any longer. The worst kinds of statements and claims.
I could see if you were big into prog
In general, no longer.

But I was a victim to those claims. It's why I no longer take statements of "you must have this" or "your collection isn't complete UNLESS..." seriously any longer. The worst kinds of statements and claims.

In general, no longer.
I find it hard to believe that around 90% of us here need to pay attention to those kinds of lists.

7/2/24
View attachment 207459Solange - A Seat at the Table

I prefer Solange over her older sister 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Beautiful black expression. Production slaps. Varied song structures. Pretty, glistening vocals. Excellent feature choices + performances.

I'll reevaluate how I feel two years later when the 10 year anniversary of this album comes around. But for now...

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

Back