The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Turbo

1725111636257.png

This month is all about cassette tapes and mixes. Each day features a quirk of the medium.

The usual rules apply… and my bonus challenge from December 2022 makes a comeback!
So it’s time for the Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2!

OPTIONAL BONUS FINAL CHALLENGE

Create your mixtape along the way and share at the end of the month!
Pick a track from each of the albums you play this month.
You can post a link to a streaming platform or just post the playlist.
You don’t have to, but feel free to cull some songs and pare your virtual mixtape down to 60 or 90 minutes so it would fit on an actual hi-performance metal chromium cassette tape.
Don’t forget to give it a name.

Day 1 - The opening track
“To me, making a tape is like writing a letter – there’s a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You’ve got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you’ve got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and…oh, there are loads of rules.” – Rob Gordon, High Fidelity (directed by Stephen Frears 2000).
Play an album that contains the corker opening track for your mixtape.

Day 2 - Track two
As Rob Gordon said, now you have to hold the attention and take it up a notch.
Play an album with an amazing second track.

Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it
“I love this. I make these little mix tapes together. You know, I put all my favorite songs together. Hey Cosmo, what number is this? Number - number eleven, yeah. I love it. When you buy a tape or something or an album, you know, you put it on and the songs are - the band put the songs in some fuckin' order like they want you to listen to it in that order. You know, I hate that. I fuckin' hate that. I don't like to be told what to listen to, when to listen to it or anything! Fuck.” -Rahad Jackson, Boogie Nights (directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997).
Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

Day 4 - Philips

The compact cassette tape that became synonymous with mixtapes was first invented by Lou Ottens at Philips in 1962. Lou Ottens lived until the age of 93 when he passed in 2021.
Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias

There were four types of cassettes, all comprising some sort of magnetic coating on a polyester strip. Type one is Normal Bias and include ferric oxide. The others are High Bias, with type 2 being a chrome tape, type 3 a ferro-chrome-cobalt mix and type 4 being a “metal” tape. There were extra notches on top of the cassettes to help players tell them apart (part of and in addition to the erase-protection notch).
All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”.

Day 6 - Mixtape downloads
“If you order a Rick Ross or Macklemore CD…”
“…I would not order a Macklemore CD. That would never happen
.” – Malcolm Adekanbi, avid old-school hip-hop and mixtape download fan, cutting off a music-based analogy about selling dope, Dope (directed by Rick Famuyima, 2015).
Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.

Day 7 - Copyright infringement

Some record stores like Toronto’s Play de Record became the pinnacle of local club scenes and promoted local emerging artist by selling their mixtapes. Unfortunately, the samples on these tapes are not usually cleared, which is copyright infringement and can lead to legal troubles like the infamous RCMP raid and lawsuit against Play de Record and Traxx in 2000. Eugene Tam of Play de Record nevertheless remains one of the top architects of the Canadian club and hip-hop scene. And he’s a pretty nice guy if you get the chance to meet him. -See Drop The Needle (directed by Rob Freeman, 2022).
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

Day 8 - LORAN brand tapes

The company Loran made cassettes that were as tough as they get. Their outer shells were extra strong and heat-resistant. The tape material itself was not thought of as being very good for making quality recordings however.
Play a record housed in a tank of a sleeve. Alternatively, play a record with a beat-up sleeve. Bonus point if the pressing is average.

Day 9 - Sound bites and interludes

Did you add sound bites or various interludes to your mixes? I used to find ways to record various soundbites out of my favorite films to add quirk to a mix. I remember spending quite some time trying to lift the “Let me tell you about my mother” line off a Blade Runner VHS. I plugged the VCR audio out into the auxiliary in of my receiver and timed the button presses to get the precise bite I wanted onto cassette, to then dub that into the mixtape. Making these mixtapes was a serious art form that took effort, but so fun.
Play something that includes sound bites, dialogue, spoken interludes or short interlude tracks.

Day 10 - The Walkman

“Walkman. It’s like a stereo. Play your own cassette tapes.” (Super 8, directed by JJ Abrams, 2011)
Released in 1979, that iconic yellow plastic Sony Walkman is essentially the first truly portable music player where you are the DJ, and is just as responsible as anything else for the success of the cassette – and mixtapes – during the 80’s and 90’s. Did you own one? Or a clone?
Play something that goes well with a walk, run or workout.

Last edited:
Day 11 - The pencil & the cassette
Everyone that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s is very familiar with the relationship between a cassette tape and a pencil. Those born later, maybe not.
Play something with album art that has hand-written or drawn elements, preferably with pencil. (Yes, I know, the pencil is not for drawing on cassettes. For shits and giggles, you can also stick a pencil into the spindle hole of your record and spin it around if it makes you feel better.)

Day 12 - The world music mix

Music of the soul” – Winston, as he hands over a mix CD containing tracks from Mulatu Astatke and other Ethiopian artists to his neighbor Don Johnston, who is about to embark on a quest to find the son he just found out about, Broken Flowers (directed by Jim Jarmusch, 2005).
Play something by an artist that is anything other than from an English-speaking country, or that is in a language other than English.

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…

Hey Ricky, what'd you do this weekend?
Well, Friday night I stood outside your window - in the pouring rain - screaming your name for several hours. And then I spent all of Saturday and Sunday making you this great "Janey I've Been Desperately Trying To Tell You That I Am Madly In Love With You" ummmm... Mix Tape for your birthday.
A mix tape? Awwwww that's so sweet Ricky. See you in English.” Janey takes mixtape and adds to stack of many others Ricky has already given her, Not Another Teen Movie (directed by Joel Galen, 2001).
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Day 14 - The single band mixtape

“Oh yeah. I made a very good mixtape of Sting.” (Eat Pray Love, directed by Ryan Murphy, 2010)
When you really liked an artist, you often wanted to listen to more than just the albums. Maybe you also wanted your friends to check them out. So, you went through your collection and created a mix of your favorites. And you throw in a few deep cuts, B-sides and remixes in there too, because it’s all good. In that context, I remember also going to friend’s houses to compile tracks from my favorite bands off 12” singles I didn’t have.
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist. Alternatively, if you ever created one of these mixtapes, play an album by the artist featured on that mixtape.

Day 15 - That extra space on the tape

Did you ever take the time to plan out a mixtape? You get a nice TDK High Output D90 cassette, write out two lists of songs, careful to add song durations up to fill out the 45 minutes of each side, and then you get to work with the dubbing. But when you get all of your songs on that first side, you realize there is still a bunch of tape remaining. There was always extra space. Often minutes. So you scramble to find the perfect song to squeeze into that space…
Play an album with a great side-1 ender track.

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
“So, I've been making her a mix tape so she will know how I feel.”
The song is just about to finish and the recorder snaps off as the cassette runs out of tape.
Ah, shit.”
– Charlie’s voice-over, as he is sitting in his room creating a mixtape on his double tape deck, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (directed by Stephen Chbosky, 2012).
…and sometimes, there just isn’t enough space to fit the perfect song you want on the tape.
What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

Day 17 – Bootlegs

Cassettes were used to tape live concerts to create bootleg tapes that would be traded among fans.
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

Day 18 -
Audio code for computers
One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.
David, locked in an infirmary room, secretly recorded a computer code that played as the guard left the room. He then plugged the jack of his tape recorder into the door’s electronic panel and played back the recorded sounds, causing the door to open, Wargames (directed by John Badham, 1983).
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

Day 19 – Fast-Forward and Rewind

One of the biggest drawbacks to cassettes is the inability to easily cue up tracks like you can with vinyl, CD’s or even digital. If you want to hear a specific track, you have to fast-forward, hit play to hear where you are, and keep hitting FF and rewind until you hit the right spot. You want to hear a track again, you need to rewind and noodle around (although decks with number counters could be useful if you noted down the number where the track starts). In a sense, this quirk makes cassettes a perfect medium for listening to your mixtape as a whole. Have you driven around with a mixtape in the car, just letting it loop around multiple times in its entirety?
Play an album you feel must be listened to in its entirety.

Day 20 – The old well-worn favorite mixtape

Your favorite mixed tape
You popped it into the deck
Don't care if it's out of date
Ol' Cat Power and classic Beck

-The Tragically Hip, Coffee Girl (from We Are The Same, 2009)
Play something that has stayed on constant rotation for you over the years.

Last edited:
tumblr_m80oqx067h1ry10fwo1_250.gif

View attachment 212474

This month is all about cassette tapes and mixes. Each day features a quirk of the medium.

The usual rules apply… and my bonus challenge from December 2022 makes a comeback!
So it’s time for the Awesome Mixtape Vol. 2!

OPTIONAL BONUS FINAL CHALLENGE

Create your mixtape along the way and share at the end of the month!
Pick a track from each of the albums you play this month.
You can post a link to a streaming platform or just post the playlist.
You don’t have to, but feel free to cull some songs and pare your virtual mixtape down to 60 or 90 minutes so it would fit on an actual hi-performance metal chromium cassette tape.
Don’t forget to give it a name.
Very cool, glad youre doing this one again! I have my last one saved as a playlist on Apple Music and listen to it quite a bit.

Play an album that contains the corker opening track for your mixtape.

"Formed a band" was the first song they ever wrote.
I was gonna play their first album, but decided to give this comp a first spin as both open with the same song and the compilation's title fits right in with this month's theme.

"Stop buying your albums from the supermarket!"

Art Brut - A Record Collection, Reduced to a Mixtape

IMG_0028.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1: The Opening Track

In the GOTG Awesome Mix challenge, I said that i like my mix to start with a slow buildup. My choice for today is a mix of that & what I think embodied the year in music as a whole so far…

Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess

IMG_8924.jpeg

The year of the pop girls (many of them unabashedly queer!)

More Than A Feeling - Boston
I overthought this like a bauss... I just did a grand reorganizing of the collection today. I moved to put CHVRCHES away and my eyes went immediately to this record. I think I will cross post this to IG. I think the #NGReturnOfTheMixTape would work. Let me know if that tag is good as we can all use it for posts maybe?

1725237954064.png

Back