The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 2 - Track two

After finally getting to see them on Saturday, I knew I'd be spinning a few of theirs this week. Track 2 on this unplugged set is Homesick, the lyrics always hit me like a gut punch, and feels like a good follow up on the mix tape to Feel The Pain. I'm a little surprised this album didn't get more attention as an RSD release. It's one of the best we've gotten in the last few years, imo.

Soul Asylum - The Complete Unplugged, NYC '93
IMG20240903091019.jpg

Hemotep's September '24 Mix Tape

1. Dinosaur Jr. - Feel The Pain [1994]
  2. Soul Asylum - Homesick (unplugged) [1992/1993]

Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it

Bob Marley & The Wailers – Catch A Fire
1000008303.jpg

The original Jamaican version of the album is my favourite version/sequencing and features one of my fave tunes that never saw release on an album in the US ("High Tide Or Low Tide") — sadly that version isn't part of this 50th Anniversary set, but I'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

The original Jamaican version of "400 Years" is next on the mixtape.

Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

Elvis Costello "This Years Model"
(1978 Radar Records; 2010 MOFI)
This Years Model was released with different tracklists in the UK and the US. Then, when it was reissued, some had tracklists that are a mix of the US and UK versions. I have two version at the time, including this MOFI issue, which has the US tracks closing with Radio, Radio. Going with The beat for the mixtape. The keyboard/organ driving the song give it the bit of quirk I think will make it fit in the mix.

IMG_1810.JPG

Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

The Church - The Church
On the strength of their first album (Of Skin and Hearts) in Australia, with its hit “Unguarded Moment, The Church got a world wide major label deal with Capital. So Capitol repackaged about 3/4 of their first album with some songs from an ep released also in 1981, and released it as their self-titled ‘2nd album’

But depending which version you have, there are about 5 versions with slightly different track orders on this album. When The Church handed in their follow-up, Blurred Crusade, Capitol dumped them.
IMG_0466.jpeg

Sofia Kourtesis - Madres

20240903_144628.jpg

One of my top10 from last year. The trackorder on vinyl is completely different to the CD/streaming. It might be worse off for the vinyl honestly..."Moving Houses" doesn't work great as an outro, and "Si Te Portas Bonito" sounds better as a follow-up track compared to an album opener.

CD/digital tracklisting:
MadresDigitalTracklist.PNG

Vinyl tracklisting:
MadresVinylTracklist.PNG

Day 1 - The opening track
“To me, making a tape is like writing a letter – there’s a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You’ve got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you’ve got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and…oh, there are loads of rules.” – Rob Gordon, High Fidelity (directed by Stephen Frears 2000).
Play an album that contains the corker opening track for your mixtape.

PXL_20240904_004422945.jpg
Track 1: Don't wanna be an American Idiot.

“I love this. I make these little mix tapes together. You know, I put all my favorite songs together. Hey Cosmo, what number is this? Number - number eleven, yeah. I love it. When you buy a tape or something or an album, you know, you put it on and the songs are - the band put the songs in some fuckin' order like they want you to listen to it in that order. You know, I hate that. I fuckin' hate that. I don't like to be told what to listen to, when to listen to it or anything! Fuck.” -Rahad Jackson, Boogie Nights (directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997).

Built to Spill - Perfect from Now On

After years and years of the CD, putting the record on and having "Kicked it in the Sun" come on before "Out of Site" kind of messes with my mind.

1000148839-jpg.200480

Track 3.5

IMG_0739.jpeg
Prince - Sign O’ the Times (Super Deluxe)

It’s not that I think the original album is poorly sequenced. It’s not. In fact it’s brilliant, proof that Prince needed an editor. I’m sure the bloated album he originally turned in was a slog.

Anyhow, these super deluxe editions always have a disc destined to the initial listen once… I mean Hot Thing three times in a row? Hence this bonus track’s placement after Over and Over. Using the edit of the title track because this kind of thing has been prevalent since at least The Beatles Anthologies, the most egregious being Metallica’s unlistenable Black Album project thingamagig.
IMG_0737.jpeg

Day 4 - Philips
Play something released on Philips records. Or play something that includes someone named Philip or Phil. Or Lou.

Serge Gainsbourg
(1962 Philips; 2001 reissue)
Going with something French to cement this mix as my own. The track "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur" takes things down a notch from Elvis Costello, but the organ driving the track flows well from The Beat.

IMG_1811.JPG

Back