The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 2 - Track two
Play an album with an amazing second track.

ABC "The Lexicon of Love"
(1982 Vertigo)
I started with Thundercat, so to keep the mix going I think I need something a little quirky and fun. This record has a second track that fits, I think - Poison Arrow. Great funky bassline to follow-up on Thundercat and lots of fun.

IMG_1809.JPG

Day 2 - Track two

Luna - Bewitched (Tiger Lily)

It seems often the 2nd track is there to let you catch your breath after the hard punch of the first track. But on Luna’s 2nd album they back up the strong 1st (California) with an even stronger 2nd track (Tiger Lily). I would go so far as saying Tiger Lily is the best song on this album and definitely in Luna’s top 5 songs for me.
IMG_0465.jpeg

Day 1 - The opening track
Play an album that contains the corker opening track for your mixtape.

Anri (杏里) - Bi・Ki・Ni

20240902_120923.jpg

"Good Bye Boogie Dance" is a jam and a half. The ignition to the dance-heavy first half of this Anri record, often considered a part of her "big 4" releases. Found this modern reissue in Yokohama this year used but practically new.

“To me, making a tape is like writing a letter – there’s a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You’ve got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you’ve got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and…oh, there are loads of rules.” – Rob Gordon, High Fidelity (directed by Stephen Frears 2000).

Mirah - Advisory Committee

I know my mix will probably end up all over the place, so I'm setting the tone by using the opening track of this album, "Cold Cold Water," a sonic ride through all sorts of lush lo-fi desert sounds (produced by the Microphone's Phil Elverum).

20231105_133623-jpg.186537

Day 2 - Track two
As Rob Gordon said, now you have to hold the attention and take it up a notch.

The Wrens - The Meadowlands

Track two on the mix and this album is "Happy," which I think starts at a similar tempo to my first track, but builds in energy at the end to get things rolling.

1000151812.jpg

Last edited:
“To me, making a tape is like writing a letter – there’s a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You’ve got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you’ve got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and…oh, there are loads of rules.” – Rob Gordon, High Fidelity (directed by Stephen Frears 2000).
1000011261.jpg
Mclusky "Mclusky Do Dallas"
If the track Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues is good enough opener for this it's good enough for me!

Day 2 - Track two
As Rob Gordon said, now you have to hold the attention and take it up a notch.
1000011262.jpg
Refused "The Shape of Punk to Come"
Why take my foot off the gas now? Bringing the energy and the fury with Liberation Frequency, a hell of a second track!

Day 2 - Track two

I struggled with this, so I took it a little different direction. I find Immigrant Song to be the most skippable album opener of any albums that I enjoy.

View attachment 212663
I did similarly except that New Sensation is the song that made me stand up to notice INXS back in the day. It was the reason I grabbed this tape by them first even though I had enjoyed singles before hand. I think Guns in the Sky is one of the all time worst songs and prevents the album from being perfect.

I did similarly except that New Sensation is the song that made me stand up to notice INXS back in the day. It was the reason I grabbed this tape by them first even though I had enjoyed singles before hand. I think Guns in the Sky is one of the all time worst songs and prevents the album from being perfect.
Kick is like weaponized 80s pop production.

Back