The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 9 - Sound bites and interludes

Macy Gray – Covered
1000008680.jpg

Dipped over to streaming for this one since it has never been pressed on wax and I don't currently have the means to play the CD. One of my favourite CDs to use for sound bites on mixtapes in my teenage years was the Mallrats soundtrack, which featured Sublime covering The Toyes' "Smoke Two Joints." For this mixtape, however, I'm going to go with Macy Gray covering Sublime covering The Toyes!

One of the blurbs I would often use opens the clip above and ends with, "Hence, no game show."

Day 14 - The single band mixtape
“Oh yeah. I made a very good mixtape of Sting.” (Eat Pray Love, directed by Ryan Murphy, 2010)
When you really liked an artist, you often wanted to listen to more than just the albums. Maybe you also wanted your friends to check them out. So, you went through your collection and created a mix of your favorites. And you throw in a few deep cuts, B-sides and remixes in there too, because it’s all good. In that context, I remember also going to friend’s houses to compile tracks from my favorite bands off 12” singles I didn’t have.
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist. Alternatively, if you ever created one of these mixtapes, play an album by the artist featured on that mixtape.

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans

I took two girls to Death Cab concerts about a year apart in the mid 2000s, and made them a CD mix of my personal favorite tracks so they could get to know the band a bit before. The second of those shows, it was one of the first times I went out with my wife. 😃

Track - "Crooked Teeth"

20231104_151938-jpg.186461

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

This song wasn't on the original US pressing of Skylarking due to PR fears but once college radio started the ball rolling, it was added.

What a great composition...

XTC - Skylarking

XTC.jpg

What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

This song wasn't on the original US pressing of Skylarking due to PR fears but once college radio started the ball rolling, it was added.

What a great composition...

XTC - Skylarking

View attachment 213728

Such a phenomenal tune!
I have Sarah McLachlan to thank for introducing teenage me to this song, and I'll always be grateful for that. But this version with the kids choir is 👌

The Clash "Hits Back"
(2013 Columbia)
"This is Radio Clash" was released during the lead-up to Combat Rock but didn't appear on the album and remained a single-only track. Great track that gets regular play. Adding it to the mix and playing off a hits compilation.

IMG_1841.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…

Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Van Halen - s/t

IMG_2475.jpeg

Day 15 - That extra space on the tape
Play an album with a great side-1 ender track

I spent awhile looking for something to up the tempo, but as soon as I came across this I realized it didn't have to be a fast song, but could be a slow burn to close out side 1. Into the Mystic makes a nice segue from Dreams as well.

63 minutes so far. Might need that 150 minute tape.

Van Morrison ~ Moondance

IMG_0967.jpeg

The Smiths started releasing non-album singles about a month after the release of The Queen is Dead that wouldn't show up on a full album release until this compilation was released more than a year later. The first (I think) of these singles released was Panic, so that kicks off side two after the cassette flip.

The Smiths ~ "Louder than Bombs"

IMG_0971.jpeg

The Jam - Snap!

Many Jam singles weren't on albums, but Snap! put them on one. Glad many were put in this one. Probably not what you were going for but I wasn't coming up with others. And we're seeing Paul Weller on Thursday so worked for me!

IMG_2481.jpeg

Back