The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 19 – Fast-Forward and Rewind
One of the biggest drawbacks to cassettes is the inability to easily cue up tracks like you can with vinyl, CD’s or even digital. If you want to hear a specific track, you have to fast-forward, hit play to hear where you are, and keep hitting FF and rewind until you hit the right spot. You want to hear a track again, you need to rewind and noodle around (although decks with number counters could be useful if you noted down the number where the track starts). In a sense, this quirk makes cassettes a perfect medium for listening to your mixtape as a whole. Have you driven around with a mixtape in the car, just letting it loop around multiple times in its entirety?
Play an album you feel must be listened to in its entirety.

This was a Secret Santa gift from @TenderLovingKiller® and it fits the prompt nicely. I actually didn't scroll back today, so I don't know if has been played. Anyway, this for sure needs the full listen.
As far as the song for the playlist, even though it's the longest track, I'll go with 94 the Long Way.

IMG_9730.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo
Joni Mitchell - Nancy Whiskey
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Sabia
Rolling Stones - Bitch
The Doors - Not to Touch the Earth
The Police - Demolition Man
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Carole King - So Far Away
Billy Squier - In the Dark
Jim O'Rourke - 94 the Long Way

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

View attachment 214245

Had a thing for this one in pandemic SZN. Three vinyl variants, and the deluxe CD are in my possession. Was my #2 favorite from that year, and likely still is.
Thinking about it now, I could probably settle for just the deluxe CD.

View attachment 214246

One of my absolute favorite albums of the decade so far. Also reminded me that one of the coolest things I have in my collection in a flexi disc she did with the title track and “Don’t Start Now” the she released for her Grammy for your consideration campaign

IMG_5271.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 24 – Scotch tape and the record/play-only tabs
Play a record that would be perfect if it was not for that one track that you find just messes it up. Imagine you could just record over it, is there any other track you would replace it with (say a single or B-side from that era)?

Prince "1999"
(1982 Warner; 2019 deluxe set)
Fantastic record, but one track bothers me a bit because it seems like it's out of place. It feels off to me when Free comes up, because it's this patriotic song in the middle of the more usual quirky Prince tracks. It's not a big deal in and of itself, the album is just fine with it there, but there is one particular other track that could have taken its place - the superb B-side How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore. That track is fire and I feel would slot so well in the album proper. I'm putting it next in the mix for now. I think it works as a bit of a change of pace. I may however just decide to put in 1999 to keep the funk going. We'll see.

IMG_1849.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"
23. Toro Y Moi "Postman"
24. Prince "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore"

Play a record that would be perfect if it was not for that one track that you find just messes it up. Imagine you could just record over it, is there any other track you would replace it with (say a single or B-side from that era)?

As much as I love this album, Illegal Alien has not aged well. At all. Paperlate (from Three Sides Live) might have worked better here.

Adding Home By The Sea to the mixtape, since Message in a Bottle was the last song maybe whoever lives in the Home By The Sea will find the Message in a Bottle.

Genesis ~ Genesis

IMG_1140.jpeg

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (The Platinum Pleasure Edition)

20240924_095517.jpg

My AotY from 2020. One year later, this deluxe edition releases as a limited edition gatefold 2xLP, with eight bonus tracks. One of the bonus tracks is "Overtime," a single released in late 2018 that didn't make it onto the original release of What's Your Pleasure? but appears here.
This is a godtier DJ record. I have had people ask me a handful of times what was playing when using a track or two from this during a set.

Day 17 – Bootlegs
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

Pat Metheny Group - Travels

20240924_112849.jpg

Obtained as a PIF from @Dtknuckles a few years ago. Unsure if I'll be keeping this; might put it up as a re-PIF. Sounds great as it is an ECM record, but I just have no need or use for live records as a DJ.

For some I N E X P L I C A B L E reason to this day I will never understand, my copy of this album has Bother the best song on the album C E N S O R E D when no other track is! Did Walmart take over for that single track for Record Store Day?
View attachment 214402
This is one I wouldn't mind grabbing some day. I saw them on tour in 2006 and it was a great set. I think I had the CD but didn't listen to it much, but that live show is still memorable.

Get any other version but the RSD version!
They butchered Bother by censoring that one song.
I am still baffled!
Always weird when that happens. I assume it's from using digital files and no one doing their due diligence on listening to them thoroughly before sending them off. Always a head scratcher how much goes into production before qc steps are taken.

Day 24: Scotch Tape and the Record/Play-Only Tabs

Dua Lipa
- Future Nostalgia

IMG_9014.jpeg

A great disco/dance record …outside of the last two songs. “Good In Bed” is a decent song tho the sound doesn’t mesh with the rest of the album imo but “Boys Will Be Boys” is such a downer ending. I’d replace that with her Angèle collab “Fever”, which later came out on the Moonlight Edition & the solo version of which was originally intended for the standard album.

Day 23 – Sending mixtapes in the mail

Refused – The Shape Of Punk To Come (A Chimerical Bombination In 12 Bursts)
1000008873.jpg

It's a little over 7100 kilometers from my place to Umeå, Sweden, where Refused are from. That's far. "Summerholidays Vs. Punkroutine" on a mixtape that came in the mail years back was my introduction to Refused, and will be my pick for this mix as well.

As much as I love this album, Illegal Alien has not aged well. At all. Paperlate (from Three Sides Live) might have worked better here.

Adding Home By The Sea to the mixtape, since Message in a Bottle was the last song maybe whoever lives in the Home By The Sea will find the Message in a Bottle.

Genesis ~ Genesis

View attachment 214384

When I played this earlier in the month I had forgotten about this song completely. Hoping to forget about it again quickly

Back