The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 11 - The pencil & the cassette
Play something with album art that has hand-written or drawn elements, preferably with pencil. (Yes, I know, the pencil is not for drawing on cassettes. For shits and giggles, you can also stick a pencil into the spindle hole of your record and spin it around if it makes you feel better.)

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

20240921_131106.jpg

Does that skull have pasta hair?

Day 20 – The old well-worn favorite mixtape
Your favorite mixed tape
You popped it into the deck
Don't care if it's out of date
Ol' Cat Power and classic Beck

-The Tragically Hip, Coffee Girl (from We Are The Same, 2009)
Play something that has stayed on constant rotation for you over the years.

Depeche Mode - Violator

This is one of the albums that goes back to even before I was really into music and just sneakily listened to the radio when I could get away with it, and a couple of these songs were still in rotation in the late 90s. Later, once I started buying music, I had to pick up the album with songs like "Personal Jesus."

1000152288.jpg

Day 21 - The road trip mixtape
“Sometimes all I want is to head West on 20 in a car I can't afford, with a plan I don't have, just me, my music, and the road” – Deborah, Baby Driver (directed by Edgar Wright, 2017).
Cassettes found a perfect home in car stereos.
Play something that you feel is great to accompany a road trip.

The Clientele - Strange Geometry

Sometimes you want something softer for those long, quiet stretches of driving.

Track - "Since K Got Over Me"

1000152289.jpg

Day 22 - The auto-reverse function
Play something with so many record flips you wish you could have the equivalent of an auto-reverse function on your turntable.

Todd Rundgren "Something/Anything?"
(1972 Bearsville; 2022 4x45rpm reissue)
Great album, but expanding an already long double album to 45rpm and 4 records makes for a lot of record flips. But still worth it because the pressing sounds so great. Wolfman Jack has a bit of a classic funk-rock thing going so it's up next in the mix.

IMG_1099.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"

Day 12 - The world music mix
Play something by an artist that is anything other than from an English-speaking country, or that is in a language other than English.

Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou - Emahoy Tsege Mariam Gebru

20240922_121353.jpg

Ethiopian nun and pianist who lived to 99 early last year. This record is a reissued artifact from local label Mississippi Records containing exclusively solo piano works.

Day 13 - Ugh, another mix…
Play something that’s been issued or reissued multiple times… anniversary editions, deluxe editions, 33rpm, 45prm, remasters, audiophile pressings, colorways galore… how many versions do we need? Alternatively, play something you have multiple copies of.

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

20240922_130516.jpg

Had a thing for this one in pandemic SZN. Three vinyl variants, and the deluxe CD are in my possession. Was my #2 favorite from that year, and likely still is.
Thinking about it now, I could probably settle for just the deluxe CD.

20240922_130130.jpg

Day 22 - The auto-reverse function
You need to flip the tape from side A to side B to continue playing it… unless your deck has an auto-reverse function, then it can play the opposite side backwards.
Play something with so many record flips you wish you could have the equivalent of an auto-reverse function on your turntable.

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

At 48 minutes, it's a bit long for a single disc, but a bit annoying to keep flipping over 4 sides... but the main reason I choose this is because they put one of the flips between two songs that flow into each other, when there was plenty of space to make sure those two songs were on the same side, which drives me crazy each time.

Track - "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts"

1000152315.jpg

Day 21 - The road trip mixtape

Grampall Jookabox – Ropechain
1000008834.jpg

We were introduced to this album while we were staying with a friend in Indianapolis on tour. The following year it was a staple in the rental car on our Midwest summer tour. The absolute highlight being having missed our exit to get to that same friend's place and not accounting for the gas station at the next exit being closed as we were dangerously low on fuel. Trying to scramble to another gas station while drifting on fumes, "We Know We Might Be Fucked" came on and all we could do is laugh! That song is definitely going on this mixtape.

Back