The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 22 - The auto-reverse function
Play something with so many record flips you wish you could have the equivalent of an auto-reverse function on your turntable.

The fact that this was split over 2 discs at 45rpm is a bit annoying since I feel like I'm flipping it constantly, therefore it doesn't get many spins. Sounds great though. Adding Miami to the playlist.

Foals ~ Total Life Forever

IMG_1118.jpeg

Day 23 – Sending mixtapes in the mail
Play something from a country far away from you, or play something that references the mail in any way.

Toro Y Moi "Mahal"
(2022 Dead Oceans)
The track "Postman" is going next in the mix.

IMG_1848.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"
23. Toro Y Moi "Postman"

Play something from a country far away from you, or play something that references the mail in any way.

Toro Y Moi "Mahal"
(2022 Dead Oceans)
The track "Postman" is going next in the mix.

View attachment 214311

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"
23. Toro Y Moi "Postman"

I've never gotten all the way into Toro Y Moi, but "Postman" is a ripper of a tune.

Day 18 - Audio code for computers
One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.
David, locked in an infirmary room, secretly recorded a computer code that played as the guard left the room. He then plugged the jack of his tape recorder into the door’s electronic panel and played back the recorded sounds, causing the door to open, Wargames (directed by John Badham, 1983).
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

Jamie xx - In Waves

My vinyl is still in transit, but Bandcamp's got my back until then. First listen through tells me this new album of bangers is a fitting follow-up to Four Tet.

Track - "All You Children (feat. The Avalanches)"

View attachment 214136

Listening to my deluxe edition now and it's actually an extremely nice pressing. My copy has a dead silent background. This thing bops.

Day 14 - The single band mixtape
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist. Alternatively, if you ever created one of these mixtapes, play an album by the artist featured on that mixtape.

Prince - Sign O' the Times

20240923_134430.jpg

Back when I previously participated in @Turbo's mixtape spin challenge, I selected Purple Rain for one of the prompts:

Day 22 – Surrender
Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright. They just seem a little weird.
Play something you first heard from your parents or a relative *or* play something you introduced your children to.

Prince - Purple Rain

View attachment 162105

This prompt is difficult as the vast majority of my vinyl library contains limited influence from my parents' music tastes. I did however, learn of Prince's music from my mom at a young age, particularly 1999 and Purple Rain.

GBV - King Shit & the Golden Boys (Postal Blowfish)
Originally only available as part of the GBV box set, an odds and sods compilation of unreleased songs. But at the time GBV cast offs were better than a lot of band’s A-material.
IMG_0521.jpeg

Day 18 - Audio code for computers
One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.
David, locked in an infirmary room, secretly recorded a computer code that played as the guard left the room. He then plugged the jack of his tape recorder into the door’s electronic panel and played back the recorded sounds, causing the door to open, Wargames (directed by John Badham, 1983).
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games.

This album (this actual copy) was part of the soundtrack to my earliest Atari playing days, basically whatever rock albums my older sister had. I was around 13 when Yar's Revenge came out, man I played the crap out of that cartridge, and this album.

For my playlist song, it's a tough call, but I'll go with the opening track; In the Dark

IMG_9729.JPG

yars.png

Back