The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 27 – Your friend, your psychiatrist, your solace
“The mixtapes we made for ourselves were musical mirrors. The sadness, anger, or frustration you might be feeling at a given time could be encapsulated in the song selection. You made mixtapes that corresponded to emotional states, and they'd be available to pop into the deck when each feeling needed reinforcing or soothing. The mixtape was your friend, your psychiatrist, and your solace.”, David Byrne in How Music Works (2014).
Play a record you turn to when you need music to be your friend

Nathaniel Rateliff - And it's Still Alright
When I need a warm hug of a lyricist, I turn to Nate often.

IMG_9751.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo
Joni Mitchell - Nancy Whiskey
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Sabia
Rolling Stones - Bitch
The Doors - Not to Touch the Earth
The Police - Demolition Man
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Carole King - So Far Away
Billy Squier - In the Dark
Jim O'Rourke - 94 the Long Way
Black Sabbath - The Wizard
Cake - The Distance/Race Car Ya-Yas
John Prine - Illegal Smile
Courtney Barnett - Nobody Really Cares If You Don’t Go to the Party
Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia
Rich Aucoin - Buchla
Paul Desmond - Body and Soul
Nathaniel Rateliff - And it's Still Alright

Day 28 – Home Taping Is Killing Music
Famous music industry campaign from Britain – there were similar ones everywhere – to raise concerns that blank cassettes are killing album sales. Even though time has shown they were not. In came a man named Lord Sugar, who’s company released an affordable twin deck, with an advert including the cheeky bold disclaimer “This machine should only be used to copy material you have generated yourself” – the upshot being to make people aware that you could dub tapes at home. So people did and the campaign fizzled out… but I have to say their tape and crossbones logo is pretty awesome.
Play something that references pirates or bones, or that includes some sort of warning

The Decemberists - Mariner's Revenge Song

Woohoo, caught up!

IMG_9755.JPG

Track 27

IMG_5307.jpeg

Adele - 25
Song - All I Ask

I already played the album that I go to when I need a friend nowadays (Rumours) so I had to go back in time for this one. In 2015 when this album came out I was at my lowest and (at the time) darkest period of my life. This album was just the crutch I needed at that time. Experiencing my first heartbreak, feeling lost, isolated, confused and nostalgic, this album came out and made me feel seen in a way music never had before. This was the exact album I needed to hear when I was 19 in 2015 and I’ll never not feel appreciative to Adele for putting it out at the perfect time.

Back