The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 25 – The Boom Box
Like the cassette itself, the boom box originated from Philips in the 1960’s. They became ubiquitous during the 80’s. Since they gained popularity among urban communities, some Americans coined the term “ghetto blaster” to describe them, mainly as an unfortunate backlash against hip-hop culture. Like many during the 80’s, I owned a boombox. In fact, mine even had a phono input, so I would plug my cheapo turntable into it when it was in my room (that’s how I first recorded vinyl to tape in fact).
Play something that might be good to breakdance to
Pretty sure it was @nolalady that steered me towards this super fun album.
I'm also pretty sure if I could break, I could break to this.
View attachment 214653

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo
Joni Mitchell - Nancy Whiskey
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Sabia
Rolling Stones - Bitch
The Doors - Not to Touch the Earth
The Police - Demolition Man
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke
Carole King - So Far Away
Billy Squier - In the Dark
Jim O'Rourke - 94 the Long Way
Black Sabbath - The Wizard
Cake - The Distance/Race Car Ya-Yas
John Prine - Illegal Smile
Courtney Barnett - Nobody Really Cares If You Don’t Go to the Party
Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia
Rich Aucoin - Buchla

This is a pretty cool and fun record. Ended up looking for a copy over the weekend, but it's sold-out at his bandcamp. I ended up getting his last copy of Season 2 which is just as fun.

Day 26 – The romantic mix
“I need a plan. Some kind of grand romantic gesture to wow Zoe. Something meaningful, like that mix CD I made for Zoe in high school that I never got to give her.” – Aniq, discussing how he could impress Zoe at the high school reunion, and mentioning the mix CD he had made for her in high school but for which her now ex-husband had taken credit for (The After Party, created by Christopher Miller, 2022-2023).
Play something romantic or play something by one of the bands from the “new romantics” movement of the 80’s.

Camera Obscura - Look to the East, Look to the West

Track - "Big Love"

1000152405.jpg

Day 30 - The last track
Time for the last track on your mix. Play something that includes the last song you would put on your mix. Alternatively, play something with a killer last track.

Isaac Hayes "Black Moses"
(1971 Stax; 2018 Craft reissue)
"Never Can Say Goodbye" is track 1 on this album, but it feels like such a perfect closer. It works especially well if you've got auto-reverse on the tape deck. It's closing out my mixtape.

IMG_1852.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love (live)"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"
23. Toro Y Moi "Postman"
24. Prince "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore"
25. De La Soul "A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturday"
26. Duran Duran "My Own Way"
27. José James "Planet Nine"
28. King Khan "America Goddam"
29. The Sure Fire Soul Ensemble "Aragon"
30. Isaac Hayes "Never Can Say Goodbye"

And here's the final mixtape! Last time around, I titled my mix "Oh Yeah!", so given the title of the first track this time, it feels appropriate to give it the title of "Oh Sheit!". I actually kind of like how this all turned out. It very much feels like me. It primarily focuses on tracks with a funky bent, but originating from all sorts of artists, plus it includes a bit of French and tons of my top artists. Hope you get a chance to sample it! I've been working off Tidal so hopefully that works for most of you as well.

Oh Sheit mixtape.jpg

SIDE A

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit It's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"

SIDE B

16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love (live)"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"
20. Jean Leloup "Le Monde Est A Pleurer"
21. Talking Heads "Slippery People (live)"
22. Todd Rundgren "Wolfman Jack"
23. Toro Y Moi "Postman"
24. Prince "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore"
25. De La Soul "A Roller Skating Jam Named Saturday"
26. Duran Duran "My Own Way"
27. José James "Planet Nine"
28. King Khan "America Goddam"
29. The Sure Fire Soul Ensemble "Aragon"
30. Isaac Hayes "Never Can Say Goodbye"

It's amazing, this Turbo ChargedTM blank cassette had a ton of extra tape and I was able to get it all on there!

It was because of Pirate day shenanigans that I am behind! I last left off at the breakdance because I didnt think I had a record that would fit lol

Oh no! I always worry that I'll make a prompt that will snooker somebody.

I think it was @jamieanderson1968 that completely reinvented that prompt to make it fit for him - I think it's fun when people do that.

Good news is that's not that far behind, but whatever you decide, thanks for playing!

I think it was @jamieanderson1968 that completely reinvented that prompt to make it fit for him - I think it's fun when people do that.

Good news is that's not that far behind, but whatever you decide, thanks for playing!
I'm bummed that I couldn't finish the month, even though I had fun following along with everyone's mixtape. The 'rona knocked me out of spinning much the last couple weeks and I've had to pull long days on campus to catch up on administrative work. I'm hosting next month's challenge, but am traveling for work and still being forced to work on campus most days, so we'll see how well I manage on my own shenanigans...

I can think of one that could apply. Maybe I’ll do back posts would that be ok?! I’ve been enjoying!!

I'm bummed that I couldn't finish the month, even though I had fun following along with everyone's mixtape. The 'rona knocked me out of spinning much the last couple weeks and I've had to pull long days on campus to catch up on administrative work. I'm hosting next month's challenge, but am traveling for work and still being forced to work on campus most days, so we'll see how well I manage on my own shenanigans...

I just realized you're hosting the Challenge and AOTM threads concurrently. Madness!

Day 27 – Your friend, your psychiatrist, your solace

When I need some downtime / solace / focus time I need music that will let me get lost and get wherever it is going at its own pace. This album is perfect for that. Adding Prayer Remembered to the list cause it happens to be the track playing right now, and I'm digging it.

Slowdive ~ Everything is Alive

IMG_1480.jpeg

Day 29 – The personalized mixtape

The Plastik Beatniks – All Those Streets I Must Find Cities For
1000008981.jpg

Sadly I have to go digital for this one because my copy is currently inaccessible but this was a find from a couple years ago that absolutely screams ME! An homage to Bob Kaufman, my favourite of the West Coast Beat Poets, featuring jazzy beats and vocals from the like of Moor Mother, Allen Ginsberg, Angel Bat Dawid and, reciting Kaufman's tribute to Ginsberg, which will be my penultimate mixtape track, Patti Smith.

Back