This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

And yet I know you like to lounge around the house in leotards and a kimono

tumblr_pa70tdhTDq1w27i8fo10_250.gif

November 17

What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album? State your case, justifying why this was necessary but we won’t judge. You’re safe here.

David Bowie - Something In The Air.

This one was a bit tough as I just can’t bring myself to spend stupid money on records. The first 4 (of 6) of these Bowie albums were all available through Warners Canada website but for some reason this one wasn’t. And in a few days the US site was sold out. So I had to get it via Discogs when it came out, paying 2x the cost of the other records in the series, plus pricy shipping from the UK.
IMG_0059.jpg

November 16
“Wait, you actually like this?”
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Mrs. ImTheOcean likes to remind me that when we first met I was very much a 'purist' when it came to music, and if a band didn't play "real" instruments it didn't count so bands that she liked, like this one, were taking shortcuts. I've since learned the error of my ways, and that 20 year old me was a bit of a jerk when it came to this.

Depeche Mode ~ Violator

IMG_4488.jpeg

November 17

What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album? State your case, justifying why this was necessary but we won’t judge. You’re safe here.

David Bowie - Something In The Air.

This one was a bit tough as I just can’t bring myself to spend stupid money on records. The first 4 (of 6) of these Bowie albums were all available through Warners Canada website but for some reason this one wasn’t. And in a few days the US site was sold out. So I had to get it via Discogs when it came out, paying 2x the cost of the other records in the series, plus pricy shipping from the UK.
View attachment 187378
Damn I lost a day or skipped a day or something. Must have been the post-work scotch.

Screw it, I will do the 16th tomorrow.

November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

Les Discrets - Ariettes Oubliées...

20231116_141736.jpg

I haven't played this since running through the collection playthrough. I think I got it blindly because another of their records was an N&G RotM and it was cheap on SoundOfVinyl at one point, but even then I can't pinpoint why it still sits in my library. In fact, I'm not certain I desire much metal/heavy music at all on the format moving forward. I'm pretty sure I offered this as a PIF as well, but no one claims in that thread unless the offer has $35+ USD value.
Moving this one to the "to sell" bin.

Oops, also skipped over November 5th

November 5

Which band/musician made you “go down the rabbit hole,” making you feel the need to buy everything they ever put out? What? You never did that? You have incredible will-power, you say? Ohhh well good for you! Play whatever you want then, I don’t care.

Makaya McCravenUniversal Beings

Wilco and Pavement are two of the bands I can think of where I own all of their studio albums on vinyl. But for this one, I'm going to go a different direction. Makaya McCraven was another artist I first discovered at Pickathon, when he played there in 2019. Afterward, I picked up Universal Beings on vinyl, which introduced me to the incredibly creative and vibrant modern jazz scenes in London, Chicago, New York and L.A. Equally as important, it sent me tumbling down the rabbit hole of International Anthem...which in turn led me to Jeff Parker, jaimie branch (R.I.P.), Daniel Villarreal, and a host of other talented musicians that are connected to this ecosystem. While I am not a completest, I now own 28 of their releases on vinyl (screenshot from discogs below).

IMG_8076.JPG

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 2.17.11 PM.png

Last edited:
November 15
“Hat me, please”

Did the previous day’s prompt confuse you? Were you like, “What the heck is a PIF?” You should head over there, it’s pretty awesome. If you’re familiar and have participated, play the best record you’ve received. What was the best record you’ve offered to others?

If you haven’t participated before, play a record that you received for free or for a crazy-low price.

Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

20231116_163046.jpg

I am not a big YLT fan, although they have a few records that I enjoy. This one is among their special releases, if not their best.
This record is a part of an incredibly generous PIF offer from @Jan; he gifted the remainder of his BandBox subscription, which had about seven months remaining. This is probably the best of what I was able to select from. Comfy, cozy slowcore/indie rock. YES, I KNOW I SAID THAT LAST PART.

November 17
“So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”

I tend to scare myself off when I'm looking at more expensive albums. I think the most I spent on a single purchase was $125 for this release, which for a 10 album compilation with way more hits than misses was a spectacular deal.

Various Artists ~ Day of the Dead

IMG_4491.jpeg

November 17
“So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”

Radiohead "In Rainbows" (2007 Xurbia Xendless Limited)
I guess it's this disc box... because I ended up getting two. The first has a known swishing defect on side B, so I wanted to get a copy free of that defect. I ended getting a second one, which unfortunately has a defect, although lighter, on side A. Guess I can frankenstein a clean play-though.

IMG_0610.JPG

November 17

Radiohead "In Rainbows" (2007 Xurbia Xendless Limited)
I guess it's this disc box... because I ended up getting two. The first has a known swishing defect on side B, so I wanted to get a copy free of that defect. I ended getting a second one, which unfortunately has a defect, although lighter, on side A. Guess I can frankenstein a clean play-though.

View attachment 187448

My jaw drops every time I listen to Reckoner off this pressing....

Day 17: “So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”

South Park - Mr. Hankey’s Christmas Classics

IMG_7597.jpeg

I spent at least CA$80 on eBay to get this bcuz none of my locals got it on the Black Friday it came out & I wanted to get it before Christmas.

November 16
“Wait, you actually like this?”
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Jim O' Rourke - Bad Timing

20231117_133543.jpg

This is my favorite of my first ever SS gifts that were chosen by @TenderLovingKiller®, my Santa at the time (I mildly enjoy The Books, I despise Pavement). Instrumental Americana/Primitivism somehow works to my ears. By that logic, I should have an LP by Portland's own Marisa Anderson, yet I don't.

Last edited:
November 16

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

I think younger me would be surprised that I listen to the Dead now, but that guy was a snot nosed punk.
IMG_0061.jpg

November 12
Them: “Hey, Vertical Horizon is playing at the fair this year! We’re gonna’ get tickets, you wanna’ come?”
You: (gesturing towards your new haircut) “Can’t you see? I’m Emo now; I only listen to Emo.”

Play an artist that represents a certain style you adhered to during a certain time in your life. If your physical/clothing style never changed, then play something that maybe connected to your emotional style. I’m not sure what that means exactly, so why don’t you interpret it?

Jean jacket, long hair, Marlboro Reds, ripped jeans...

IMG_6201.JPG

November 17

Sun Ra & His Ethnic Structural Cosmo Arkestra – Live At Red Creek, Rochester, NY
20231117_152902.jpg

I bought this when I had Covid and it eclipsed my previous two most expensive single records (both for my wife) - if I recall correctly it was about $125 + shipping. There are 200 copies of this edition and 26 copies of the "Limited Edition" version. Italian "gray market" bootlegs. Great show! Absolutely worth it to me, but certainly not to most!

November 17

Boldy James & The Alchemist - Bo Jackson

20231117_155324.jpg

$100 before shipping for the gatefold 2xLP blue from two years ago. I won't do that again. I got the std black single sleeve LP in the same order, still sealed. I don't think any of these are highly coveted on Discogs now.
I bought this in hopes that it would arrive before I saw Boldy James in Portland to get signed, but it arrived a month later.

November 13
(singing along, music playing loud in headphones) “Late night, come home/WORK SUCKS, I KNOW!!”
(boss pokes head over your cubicle wall): “Sorry, what was that?”

What albums got you through tough shifts at work, either in the past or in your current job?

Cool prompt...
I went with Colemine Records. I'm sure I've posted here enough about how bad the radio in the shop at work is, so when I have time at my desk, YouTube is my break from those same 100 over-played classic rock songs.
There was an era of discovery with Colemine that I'll always remember, so many great artists I fell in love with over a short period of time.
Here's one!

IMG_6202.JPG

November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

I used to love it, but I never really have an urge to spin it nowadays. This one qualifies for a couple other prompts.

IMG_6203.JPG

Back