This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 11
:::quiet Saturday morning:::

Shoot, you woke up way too early today even though you had plans to sleep in. No one else is up, it’s just you, your morning cup of coffee, and your turntable. What do you feel like playing to ease you into today?

Well, it's not Saturday but if I waited until then for this one I'd be REALLY behind.
This works nicely for many moods and times, including morning coffee. I sure would like to hear he's got another album coming.

IMG_6184.JPG

November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

Rodriguez - Cold Fact

Got this one in a PIFa few years back, one of my all time favorites! Can’t remember who sent it my way, it’s been a while. Thanks to them!

IMG_0758.jpeg

November 15
“Hat me, please”

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies/SAP

View attachment 187321

I’ve received some amazing records from very generous people in this forum and the previous forum but this one always blows my mind. I got this from @waruv last year and as promised, it still gets played frequently
I kick myself for having this in my hand multiple times and not buying it. My favorited AIC.

November 12
Them: “Hey, Vertical Horizon is playing at the fair this year! We’re gonna’ get tickets, you wanna’ come?”
You: (gesturing towards your new haircut) “Can’t you see? I’m Emo now; I only listen to Emo.”

Play an artist that represents a certain style you adhered to during a certain time in your life. If your physical/clothing style never changed, then play something that maybe connected to your emotional style. I’m not sure what that means exactly, so why don’t you interpret it?

Julianna Barwick - The Magic Place

20231115_154400.jpg

Not a style from my youth, as I didn't listen to ambient music in those days. I find that ethereal, dreamy, serene, and atmospheric music is my comfort space these days, with Julianna Barwick fitting that description well. I'm alone on most days; ambient/ethereal music aids to veil the reality of being alone overly frequently.
Purely coincidental that most of these selections I have seen have performed in Portland within the last two years.

20220515_214413.jpg

Last edited:
November 13
(singing along, music playing loud in headphones) “Late night, come home/WORK SUCKS, I KNOW!!”
(boss pokes head over your cubicle wall): “Sorry, what was that?”

What albums got you through tough shifts at work, either in the past or in your current job?

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

20231115_162422.jpg

Back in the month and a few weeks after of its release, I must've played this album at work four times per shift at a minimum. While these shifts weren't necessarily "difficult" as it was an easy role, they became tedious more often than not. Listening to this one while bopping along made those days go by ultra quickly, and elevated my mood frequently. I still play this one frequently enough thanks to having the deluxe CD in my car.
NO, I haven't seen Dua Lipa in concert yet 😭

November 12
Them: “Hey, Vertical Horizon is playing at the fair this year! We’re gonna’ get tickets, you wanna’ come?”
You: (gesturing towards your new haircut) “Can’t you see? I’m Emo now; I only listen to Emo.”

Play an artist that represents a certain style you adhered to during a certain time in your life. If your physical/clothing style never changed, then play something that maybe connected to your emotional style. I’m not sure what that means exactly, so why don’t you interpret it?

764-Hero - Weekends of Sound

I already played some turn-of-the-millenium emo, but another scene that shaped me musically at that time was the PNW indie scene, including the heavy hitters like Modest Mouse, Death Cab, and Built to Spill. I'm going with a less-remembered good one from 764-Hero.

Screenshot_20231115_181359_Poweramp.jpg

November 12

I already played some turn-of-the-millenium emo, but another scene that shaped me musically at that time was the PNW indie scene, including the heavy hitters like Modest Mouse, Death Cab, and Built to Spill. I'm going with a less-remembered good one from 764-Hero.

View attachment 187335

One of the best band names ever. Didn’t realize they discontinued that hotline just a couple years ago.

November 15
“Hat me, please”

NAO – For All We Know
20231115_193442.jpg

@Tillman offered this and another NAO album up in the PIF thread a few months after I'd become familiar with her thanks to her guesting on a Serpentwithfeet track then subsequently streaming this album a couple times. The asking price for copies of this was insanely high and I'd quickly resigned myself to likely never owning a copy until, lo and behold, there it is in the PIF thread! When I mentioned the above to @Tillman he hadn't thought to check the prices before offering it up, so I quickly offered to allow him to back out, but being the great and kind soul he is, he kept the offer on the table, only asking that I don't turn around and sell them. Haven't, and won't - thanks again!

I can't say enough good things about the PIF thread. I've been blessed with so much incredible stuff from so many incredible folks over the past couple years here, both on and off the books (including, but nowhere near limited to, the aforementioned 70s Bowie starter pack from @jamieanderson1968 and @Turbo making an hourlong drive with his daughter to hand deliver a couple records while my wife and I were visiting family in the area.) It's a real special thing we've got going here, and it brings me great joy to see all the treasures that come and go along the way!

Not sure what the "best" thing I've PIF'd would be, but some of the funnest have been the Random Bandcamp Friday PIFs I'd like to get back to doing where I've tried to cherry pick something specifically for whomever won the given round - not only did they each lead to some great discoveries but it's also very neat to explore music with someone else's ears in mind.

November 15
“Hat me, please”

NAO – For All We Know
View attachment 187340

@Tillman offered this and another NAO album up in the PIF thread a few months after I'd become familiar with her thanks to her guesting on a Serpentwithfeet track then subsequently streaming this album a couple times. The asking price for copies of this was insanely high and I'd quickly resigned myself to likely never owning a copy until, lo and behold, there it is in the PIF thread! When I mentioned the above to @Tillman he hadn't thought to check the prices before offering it up, so I quickly offered to allow him to back out, but being the great and kind soul he is, he kept the offer on the table, only asking that I don't turn around and sell them. Haven't, and won't - thanks again!

I can't say enough good things about the PIF thread. I've been blessed with so much incredible stuff from so many incredible folks over the past couple years here, both on and off the books (including, but nowhere near limited to, the aforementioned 70s Bowie starter pack from @jamieanderson1968 and @Turbo making an hourlong drive with his daughter to hand deliver a couple records while my wife and I were visiting family in the area.) It's a real special thing we've got going here, and it brings me great joy to see all the treasures that come and go along the way!

Not sure what the "best" thing I've PIF'd would be, but some of the funnest have been the Random Bandcamp Friday PIFs I'd like to get back to doing where I've tried to cherry pick something specifically for whomever won the given round - not only did they each lead to some great discoveries but it's also very neat to explore music with someone else's ears in mind.

That was definitely more fun than mailing the records out!

November 12

View attachment 187335
Listened to this a while back and still really dug it. May have to go on a hunt for it. I remember a local store owner turned me on to it.

November 16
“Wait, you actually like this?”
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Black Sabbath "Sabotage" (1975 Vertigo japan)
I don't know if it was noticed at all, but I don't like or listen to metal very much. Just not for me. But a few bands and records manage to seep through. I picked up this year's Haken record. Not sure how "metaly" it is with all the synths on it, but I enjoy it. And then there is early Sabbath. Shouldn't be in my wheelhouse, but somehow finds a place anyway.

IMG_0609.JPG

November 16
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Automatic – Signal

I'm never really been much of a fan of the synthesizer...or so I thought, until I saw Automatic play at Pickathon last year. One of the best aspects of Pickathon is that the lineup features an amazing diversity of genres, and you can frequently stumble into something you no idea you liked. In any case, Automatic put on a great show, entirely captivating. I made a point to catch their second show of the weekend the following day (bands always play twice at Pickathon, each time on a different stage). They also recorded a session in the Pumphouse, the world's tiniest venue (making that up, but you can only watch from outside the structure). Check out "Lucy" below.

IMG_8051.JPG

November 16

I don't think much I listen to is a surprise anyone here - you all know I'm into soundtracks/scores and nü-metal, and pretty much anything but country (and I do like some "country"- if it's the folk/bluegrass kind, not whatever new country started up in the 80's/90's and is still around today)

I surprised a co-worker by playing Kendrick Lamar - Damn once.

Since joining this (and the previous) forum my collection of various Indie Pop related releases have been acquired - more than I thought would, but it was also the reason I joined VMP originally. When I joined I just wanted to get some stuff that I wouldn't have bought myself - and while VMP did that to an extent, this forum has done it more. And more specifically - before this forum and VMP I really didn't listen to female vocalists. I really don't know why - but over the last 5+ years I've made an effort to give them a proper listen when I can.

Both this and her 2nd album are really good.

Maya Hawke ‎– Blush
Mom + Pop/Secret Sun Recordings ‎– MP471, 2020

Signed copy bought from recordstore.co.uk

Pressed at Precision/GZ

LJJJYtE.jpg

cOCJs4J.jpg

Last edited:
November 16

Black Sabbath "Sabotage" (1975 Vertigo japan)
I don't know if it was noticed at all, but I don't like or listen to metal very much. Just not for me. But a few bands and records manage to seep through. I picked up this year's Haken record. Not sure how "metaly" it is with all the synths on it, but I enjoy it. And then there is early Sabbath. Shouldn't be in my wheelhouse, but somehow finds a place anyway.

View attachment 187362
And yet I know you like to lounge around the house in leotards and a kimono

Back