This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 15
“Hat me, please”

Did the previous day’s prompt confuse you? Were you like, “What the heck is a PIF?” You should head over there, it’s pretty awesome. If you’re familiar and have participated, play the best record you’ve received. What was the best record you’ve offered to others?

This one was from @Kris and I've spun it a ton.
I've sent some nice records through the PIF thread...I think one of the most recent was Wagon Christ.

John Grant - Boy From Michigan

IMG_6181.JPG

November 16
“Wait, you actually like this?”
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Jim O' Rourke - Bad Timing

View attachment 187471

This is my favorite of my first ever SS gifts that were chosen @TenderLovingKiller®, my Santa at the time (I mildly enjoy The Books, I despise Pavement). Instrumental Americana/Primitivism somehow works to my ears. By that logic, I should have an LP by Portland's own Marisa Anderson, yet I don't.
Hey one outta a 3 ain’t bad…in baseball.

Also, I might be a bit one note, I just realized I got @ranbalam a Jim O’Rourke and a Pavement record for his Secret Santa gift this past year (the same O’Rourke album even).

I really think everyone should have both in there collections apparently.

November 16
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

Not guilty about it, but a lot of my friends may be surprised I jam this from time to time. But it's so great. It's very high on my wife's list of favorite albums.

IMG_6204.JPG

November 15
“Hat me, please”
Did the previous day’s prompt confuse you? Were you like, “What the heck is a PIF?” You should head over there, it’s pretty awesome. If you’re familiar and have participated, play the best record you’ve received. What was the best record you’ve offered to others?

I've been lucky enough to receive many great PIFs. This incredible one via @gaporter is top o' the heap...

Death Rosenstock - Thanks, Sorry!

20231117_230157.jpg

Sent this 4LP box back to its homeland in Canada and @Mather last year. Or maybe the year before. I dunno...

20231117_230447.jpg

November 16

Hitting your musical stride in the 70s/80s, you're bound to end up with some cheese in your aural sandwich.

I now present to you, a WalMart brand Colby Jack...

Genesis - Abacab

20231117_234217.jpg

November 17
“So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”
What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album? State your case, justifying why this was necessary but we won’t judge. You’re safe here.

This one's hard. I've entered a psychological realm that's blocked every bloated record buy from my memory bank rendering those purchases nonexistent and merely figments of my imagination. They never happened.

But maybe this one did.

I actually bought two copies of this. Discogs max value has more than octupled my purchase price, so I feel less dirty...

The Black Crowes - By Your Side

20231118_001642.jpg

November 13
(singing along, music playing loud in headphones) “Late night, come home/WORK SUCKS, I KNOW!!”
(boss pokes head over your cubicle wall): “Sorry, what was that?”

What albums got you through tough shifts at work, either in the past or in your current job?

No music at work for me, but way back in my residency years, we used to play music in the OR.
My picks weren't the most popular: "too noisy", "too weird", "you're making up band names, aren't you?"
Noisy it is. First spin on this reissue.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Munki

IMG_5987.jpeg

Can we get a Stoned and Dethroned reissue next? Please and thank you

Last edited:
November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

I don't remember when I bought this CD and can't really recall what it sounds like (sure looks psychedelic)
Let's give it a listen

Cosmic Rough Riders - Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine

IMG_5988.jpeg

November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

I don't remember when I bought this CD and can't really recall what it sounds like (sure looks psychedelic)
Let's give it a listen

Cosmic Rough Riders - Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine

View attachment 187525

Oooooohhhhhhh, it was because of this song:

Listening to this album now, it's fine, it's ok, some nice melodies on it.

November 17
“So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”

What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album? State your case, justifying why this was necessary but we won’t judge. You’re safe here.

While I think the most expensive release I own is the The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo score box set that had a price of $300 when it was up for sale...but because it is a box set and since it was a gift from my wife I'm going to pick something else.

I got this one off Ebay last year after looking for a copy in the wild for years. It was $140 bucks which is more than I've spent on a single (non-box set) LP release. My personal "high" is about 80 bucks or so - maybe I'll go to $100 if I really need something that is hard to find...otherwise I'll wait for a reissue. This one has some rights issues, so it shouldn't be getting a reissue anytime soon.

Various – The Shining (Original Sound Track)
Warner Bros. Records – HS 3449, 1980

Pressed at Wakefield Manufacturing

wVJGqig.jpg

dmpkBzc.jpg

November 15
“Hat me, please”

If you haven’t participated before, play a record that you received for free or for a crazy-low price.

Part of an Eccentric Bundle from Numero Group.
It got delayed, so I cancelled it and was refunded.
A month later the order showed up anyway.
I would've reached out and worked out someway of paying for them, but their CS is really lacking, so I said fuck It.
My wife, obviously, doesn't believe I got them for free.

Various - Eccentric Northern Soul
IMG_5990.jpeg
IMG_5989.jpeg

November 16

By my looks, people don't doubt for a second that I listen to The National, but hey I'm eclectic!

Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep

IMG_5991.jpeg

November 18
(Enters record shop, owner behind counter looks up and immediately gives out a sigh of frustration upon seeing who has just walked through the door. The smell of aged vinyl fills your nostrils and your eyes are already burning from the dust and cigarette-smoke infused record covers)

What’s your favorite/most surprising find that you’ve purchased from your favorite record store (local to you or not). Give the store a shout out! What do you love about this shop?

I had to look back at my first posting of it over on Audio Karma to see when I first picked it up from my local store, as I wasn't sure if the "date added" on Discogs was correct, it is. I got this from my now closed local store for around $50 or $60 bucks sealed back in December of 2012.

I don't know if it's legit or not, but a recent Discogs purchase of a sealed copy went for $1000 - and I'm perfectly OK playing my now opened copy.

Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger
A&M Records – 75021 5374 1, 1991

Limited Edition translucent yellow vinyl / alternate rear image

DMM cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Specialty

zTfKYEO.jpg

ZTV07Mj.jpg

MPL30qI.jpg

November 16

Randy Travis - Storms Of Life

IMG_6394.jpeg

Growing up, “everything except country” was a very cool response to the question “what kind of music do you like?” But obviously that changed over time, especially because of country music’s blending with other genres. 80s and 90s twang and honky tonk remained unappealing to me until very recently, which may be attributed to me living in the South now. I’ve been to more concerts this year than I have in a while, mostly country shows in Alabama, and it’s been an experience. Still pretty picky in this genre, but this record is so great. A little neuroanatomy lesson: a mnemonic we learned to remember the brachial plexus parts is “Randy (nerve root) Travis (trunk) Drinks (divisions) Cold (cord) Beer (branch),” to which the young students would reply “Who the heck is Randy Travis?!”

November 16

Alabaster DePlume - Gold

I used to really not like jazz, or maybe just instrumentals for the most part. Then add in some spoken word and there was no way. But I really dig this guy, and watching my gal wonder what the f was going on when we saw him a couple months ago was an added bonus!

IMG_0773.jpeg

November 17
What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album?

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fear

IMG_6395.jpeg

This band was my first concert so they hold a special place in my heart. I have always had the philosophy that just about every album will eventually be pressed or re-pressed if you wait long enough, so I never even thought about spending insane amounts on prior used copies of this album. When it finally was made available by the band again last year, I admit I did hesitate when I saw their price (about $75 shipped for a single disc). They knew exactly what they were doing. It was the lowest this will ever be again, so I just went for it.

November 17

Radiohead - Kid A Mnesia

Still not sure if I needed this or not, but a nice set and a good way to have both records.

IMG_0774.jpeg

November 18
Enters record shop, owner behind counter looks up and immediately gives out a sigh of frustration upon seeing who has just walked through the door.

Treepeople - Guilt Regret Embarrassment

IMG_6396.jpeg

I’m picking this because it’s my most recent purchase. I was in Boise last week and stopped in The Record Exchange. Found an old used copy of this record by Boise legends Treepeople (Doug Martsch’s band before Built to Spill). Couldn’t have been more perfect of a souvenir for my trip

November 18
Enters record shop, owner behind counter looks up and immediately gives out a sigh of frustration upon seeing who has just walked through the door.

Treepeople - Guilt Regret Embarrassment

View attachment 187550

I’m picking this because it’s my most recent purchase. I was in Boise last week and stopped in The Record Exchange. Found an old used copy of this record by Boise legends Treepeople (Doug Martsch’s band before Built to Spill). Couldn’t have been more perfect of a souvenir for my trip

Damn, perfect location to find that!

Back