This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

Another purchase from today.

Matt Cameron (with the Melvins) ~ Gory Scorch Cretins

IMG_4667.jpeg

November 23
“IIIIIIII… want to thaaank you.. for giving me the best day of my liiiiife”

TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

IMG_6418.jpeg

I resisted vinyl clubs for a long time, thinking they were for people who wanted to start buying vinyl but didn’t know what to buy. But I think this was the only way to get this particular album so I joined and stayed a member for several years, until the Great Exodus of 2019 or whenever that was. Some decent titles obtained during that span, but best of all, it introduced me to this (now known as) N&G community. I had worked in only music jobs for many years but after making a complete switch to a very non-musical career, I’ve struggled to find a good outlet to discuss/obsess over music until I found all of you. Again, very thankful for you

November 23

TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

View attachment 188391

I resisted vinyl clubs for a long time, thinking they were for people who wanted to start buying vinyl but didn’t know what to buy. But I think this was the only way to get this particular album so I joined and stayed a member for several years, until the Great Exodus of 2019 or whenever that was. Some decent titles obtained during that span, but best of all, it introduced me to this (now known as) N&G community. I had worked in only music jobs for many years but after making a complete switch to a very non-musical career, I’ve struggled to find a good outlet to discuss/obsess over music until I found all of you. Again, very thankful for you

This album was why I ended up joining VMP and how I ended up on the old forums for like a month or two before coming here! Just pretend I edited this gif to say "vinyl brother" instead.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

This album was why I ended up joining VMP and how I ended up on the old forums for like a month or two before coming here! Just pretend I edited this gif to say "vinyl brother" instead.

giphy.gif

Promise me a million times you'll never do another rule, vinyl brother

November 22
“Dad, what do you cherish most?”
“Well, you, of course. And your mother. And my butcher cover copy of the Beatles’ Yesterday and Today.”

Miles Davis – On The Corner
20231124_125731.jpg

This one was incredibly hard. Realistically I'd probably grab a handful of Sun Ra - which is on an entirely different shelf, but for earlier today's listening sake, I decided on my OG Canadian copy of my favourite Miles Davis album.

Day 24: “Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

That happened at Freecloud when “the lakes” 45 sold out & 2 girls immediately walked out of line. :LOL:

Speaking of, I was at that same shop today & I’d asked about this album because I didn’t see it on their IG. The owner, Rich, dug through the RSD rack & bin for about 5 minutes trying to find it after I’d pointed that out since he had apparently gotten it in, but must’ve sold it already. I told him no big, got the Olivia EP & Dre longbox and left. I got an email 5 minutes later saying that he found it, I immediately turned around, went back to the shop and picked up…

The Mamas & The Papas
- Captured Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival

IMG_7637.jpeg

He also told me how it’s not their best performance, but I don’t think they were half-bad for a group on the verge of falling apart.

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Various – Judgment Night (Music From The Motion Picture)
20231124_140235.jpg

Was running some errands and decided to pop into my local and see what was left - most of it was overpriced stuff that I'd be interested in for about half the price, but this was reasonably priced and irresistible. Hard to believe it's been 30 years already! This MONSTER of a soundtrack introduced me to so many artists way back when it came out.

November 24

Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

David Bowie - Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles '74)
For several RSDs in a row there was a great Bowie 70s live release. Of the several I have, this is my favourite
IMG_0073.jpg

November 22
“Dad, what do you cherish most?”
“Well, you, of course. And your mother. And my butcher cover copy of the Beatles’ Yesterday and Today.”

If your house was on fire, after saving your family/friends/roommate/humans/pets, you have time to grab only one record before you’re out of there. Which one is it and why-erm, “Bay City Rollers,” you say? What the hell?

Ok, now that's it's spinning, I maybe changed my mind. NM, too, late, on I go...
My initial thought was: What do I have that's irreplaceable? The clear Bowie Blackstar maybe, but I was already scooped on that. Then I remembered about this Zep bootleg I have, that I bought at Rock of Ages (or maybe Harmony House) back in the 80s. Safe to say this terrible sounding boot is not going to be found anywhere else. But hey, it's a chunk of history.

IMG_6300.JPG

November 23

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

I value this N&G community so much...

...that I would never want to come across as trying to advertise or push any of my projects. But when I read this prompt to my wife she looked at me and raised her eyebrows like, you know what you gotta do.

I was in this band a long time, until Covid, then it just never reformed. I'm ok with it, long story. But I'm thankful for this group of folks I wrote and gigged with. And that we got to put an album on vinyl. And that they gave me mostly full control of the album artwork...kind of a dream come true tbh

IMG_6304.JPG

November 23

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

I value this N&G community so much...

...that I would never want to come across as trying to advertise or push any of my projects. But when I read this prompt to wife she looked at me and raised her eyebrows like, you know what you gotta do.

I was in this band a long time, until Covid, then it just never reformed. I'm ok with it, long story. But I'm thankful for this group of folks I wrote and gigged with. And that we got to put an album on vinyl. And that they gave me mostly full control of the album artwork...kind of a dream come true tbh

...and how do the rest of us get a copy of this, @ranbalam?

I love this place.

November 24

Wow, I'm caught up! Nice to get some extended time at home...

I haven't gone out for RSD since spring of '22, just hasn't worked out the last couple events. Anyway, here's a favorite.

IMG_6305.JPG

November 23

Luna "Lunapark" (2016 Captured Tracks, breakout from Long Players 92-99 boxset)
This prompt is a good opportunity to play this freshly received PIF from @jamieanderson1968 . First one to make it to me from the PIFsgiving frenzy. Previously did a bunch of international PIFs but this was my first year participating in a full blown standard PIFsgiving. I had a bunch of goodies saved up - sent out 7 8 boxes with 10 12 records, have 7 8 10 records coming my way, so far. And it's been a blast! I don't want it to end! So I'll add a bit of fire later. Love this place!

IMG_0657.JPG

Last edited:
November 24

Duran Duran "As The Lights Go Down (Live Oakland Coliseum '84)" (2019 Parlophone)
Let's get my Duran Duran quota done for the month. This one was from RSD 2019. I wasn't specifically looking for it, or even realized that it was being released, but it was just sitting there on the shelf at one of my locals, crying out for me to take it home. Turned out to be a really nice surprise as the live recording is quite good - the show was originally slated for a TV special so great care was taken with recording. A really nice live set that picked up value over the years.

IMG_0658.JPG

November 25
“It’s beginning to look a lot like…”

Clouds Taste Satanic - All I Want for Christmas Is Your Soul

Don't really do the Christmas music around here. I do have a copy of A Very Special Christmas that I inherited, but don't feel like playing it right now, despite my deep love of "Christmas in Hollis." Instead, I'll be streaming this little nugget today, with gratitude to @Hemotep for hipping me to it!

Back