I0PvHJG.jpg

Hurray for the Riff Raff played a free outdoor show in downtown Manhattan
zJvVddx.jpg

Carly Rae Jepsen's opening act in DC was a full nine inning baseball game
5LazwXP.jpg

Y8NS2RY.jpg

Last edited:
Toad the Wet Sprocket - HopMonk Tavern, Novato, CA

This show was perfect for me - my favorite band in an outdoor beer garden on a lovely summer evening that ended at 9pm. Pure bliss. And Toad were excellent, per usual. They even did a fantastic cover of Driver 8!

IMG_2593.jpeg
IMG_2595.jpeg
IMG_2587.jpeg
IMG_2588.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg

Red Hot Chili Peppers with Seun Kuti.

RHCP were my first show ever back on the Stadium Arcadium tour. I was so glad to finally get to see them with John again. Great setlist highlighting my favorites of the 2 new albums, and some deeper cuts that I've been chasing, like Don't Forget Me.

Seun was fun but didn't get much love from the crowd, at least around us. I was grooving though.
PXL_20240722_234521953.jpg

PXL_20240723_014624476.MP.jpg

Tonight was the totally tubular festival at Blossom Music Center and featured some of the one-hit wonder '80s acts that typically I would hate but thought it was worth seeing seven of them at once to get them out of the way. The show was very sparsely attended, to the point where it was almost embarrassing to be in the audience. I'd say I enjoyed half of the acts, and was bored out of my mind for the others. Since this was the last day of the tour, a lot of the finales included a lot of the other acts joining on stage together.

Tommy Tutone sounded the oldest of the bunch, kind of like Joe Walsh if he had kept drinking for another couple years. But hey he's still got Jenny's number.
PXL_20240728_220946912.jpg

I guess there's some beef between the lead singer of Bow Wow Wow and the rest of the band, so they specified the lead singer's first name in the the possessive form before the band's name. They were fine but I was done with them by the time their big hit "I want candy" was played.
PXL_20240728_223559476.MP.jpg

Wang Chung was actually the unanimous favorite between myself and my two brother-in-laws. A fun rock show all around and they sounded great. My last name would often be used as a replacement for Chung when I was growing up so I'm a little scarred by that, but it was pretty darn fun.
PXL_20240728_230538677.MP.jpg

Men Without Hats understood the assignment. They played "Safety Dance" twice in their set, once at the beginning and once at the end. Their drummer was wearing a cowboy hat, which just doesn't feel right. My in-laws liked them much more than I did overall, but oh well.
PXL_20240728_234957981.MP.jpg

Modern English was next up, and having seen them just this past September for an in studio performance, I must admit they were one of the acts I was most looking forward to seeing again. They sounded great, even with them fitting two new songs in their set of 6 to 7 songs total. Side note, I actually really like their new single "Long in the Tooth".
PXL_20240729_003246126.MP.jpg

Tom Bailey from Thompson Twins then proceeded to bore us out of our minds.
PXL_20240729_012002639.MP.jpg

Thomas Dolby finished off the night, playing through some of his hits and also covers of New Order and David Bowie, including a tribute to his performance at live aid, it was an interesting and satisfying ending.
PXL_20240729_021823560.MP.jpg

Sammy Hagar and his All-Star band last night at Blossom Music Center. I'm not the biggest fan of Van Hagar material, nor am I really the biggest Van Halen fan at all, but with Eddie gone this is the closest that I'm going to get to ever seeing them so I thought why not. Michael Anthony on bass guitar, Joe satriani on guitar, and Jason Bonham on drums . Honestly, one of the main reasons I went was to see Joe Satriani in person. I remember flailing on my plastic guitar, playing guitar hero and rock band on Satriani songs.

The show was good, for what it was. The Red Rocker was pretty much exactly what I expected. All was going well until about Midway through the set when they blew out the speakers to the lawn. As the crew frantically tried to fix the issue, the band awkwardly jammed on stage for about 10 minutes before soldiering on with the rest of the set...After the crew turned up the Pavilion speakers to make up for it. The mix was absolute crap because of it. It was that way for about three songs before they finally got the lawn speakers fixed again. But man did the momentum suffer.

Michael Anthony sounded amazing. His harmonized vocals with Hagar made it sound exactly like it did on the old Van Halen records. Satriani is no Eddie, but a worthy imitation and of course a great talent. I was least impressed with Jason Bonham, especially when the mix was messed up and the drums were way too high and you could hear all of his playing at the front of the mix. Generally a passable drummer on this material , nothing more.

PXL_20240730_002108792.MP.jpg

Are you ready for a long and rambling post!!

I decided at the last minute to treat myself to a concert and it is someone I waited a very very long time to see live.

I got to FINALLY see Cassadee Pope Live! She rolled through town last Friday with The Foxies and Natalia Taylar. (It only took nearly 16 years to get my chance at seeing her in some form)...

The venue was a place I had been before. I have seen Panic! At The Disco, Pop Evil, and Diamante at the same venue.
There was a smaller crowd so it felt all the more intimate and I was so happy. I will be adding a playlist of some of the songs featured during the show at the bottom of this post!

The opening act was Natalia Taylar.

A wonderful singer/songwriter from Maryville, TN. She has a very good voice with a mix of pop, rock, and borderline heavy rock on the few songs I have heard from her. I also got to meet her!

Natalia's Setlist

1722473517163.png
IMG_8578.jpg

1722474479556.png1722473764718.png

Up second was a band called The Foxies.

A pop-punk powerhouse from Nashville. Julia, the lead singer's, vocals are so unique. I don't like to do comparisons since everyone is unique, but she also sings a little like No Doubt Gwen Stefani. They are their own force of nature and must be seen to be believed! I got to meet the band as well. Julia is a wonderful human!

The Foxies Setlist

1722474073918.png1722474127169.png
1722474226627.png1722474433559.png

The night ended with a perfect setlist from Cassadee Pope!

Cassadee's Setlist

1722474632567.png1722474683994.png

1722474719841.png

Last edited:
Liam Gallagher ~ Thomond Park, Limerick Ireland - 7/14/2024

First concert outside of the states, and it didn't disappoint. The venue itself is tucked inside the town, with lots of active pubs to hit on the way in, and you can get your drinks to go as you head toward the stadium. Not to mention cheap beer & food at the venue itself.

Made our way to our seats just in time to catch the Mary Wallopers, who were just fantastic. Irish folk-punk in the same vein as the Pogues. Would love to see them again. Also note the Merch booth behind the soundboard on the floor - genius - never a long line for anything at this show.

IMG_3432.jpeg

Next up was Liam Gallagher doing Definitely Maybe in full (out of order with some B-Sides). Fantastic set, Liam was in great voice and attitude. The crowd was next level too. The concert took place at the same time that England was losing to Spain in the Euro Cup. The fans were taunting Liam with Ole' Ole' Ole' chants and he was giving it right back. Excellent show, glad we were able to fit it in our trip and looking forward to more like it.

IMG_9540.jpeg
IMG_9546.jpeg

Outlaw Music Festival ~ North Island Credit Union Amphitheater July 29, 2024

Fun night with Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, and John Mellencamp.

Made it in the venue about 1/2 way through John Mellencamps set and worked our way to the very back of the lawn. He sounded a lot better than I thought he would with how much he smokes, and I forgot how many of his songs I knew. Scarecrow was the highlight of the set for me.

Bob was Bob, I've seen him a number of times and he never fails to confound the audience. Played some rearranged classics (Ballad of a Thin Man, Simple Twist of Fate, Highway 61), Under the Red Sky was close to the album version, and some covers, including a nice rendition of Stella Blue. Highlight of the set for me was Early Roman Kings.

Last up was Willie Nelson. Was a little worried since he'd had to skip a few shows on the last legs of the tour, but he looked and sounded great. Seeing him brought back tons of memories of listening to him with my dad, very glad to see him again.

IMG_0062.jpegIMG_3695.jpeg

Pickathon 2024 is a wrap. As always, it was beautiful and inspiring and unforgettable. Over 4 days, I saw 31 unique bands play 39 sets of music. Ran into @Dead C and family, and saw @Matt M from a distance during Jeffrey Martin's set. Still feeling very energized, but will undoubtedly feel like I got hit by a Mack truck tomorrow. Here are a few photo highlights from the weekend...

Bonnie Prince Billy

IMG_9808.JPG

Billie Marten

IMG_9902.JPG

Dean Johnson

IMG_9907.JPG

Jess Williamson

IMG_9722.JPG

Bella White

IMG_9764.JPG

Ratboys

IMG_9853.JPG