Upcoming/Recent Shows

A stormy late afternoon and a short delay made way for quite an enjoyable evening last night with Hozier and Joy Oladukun. Very sold out so we were the furthest away than we've been this summer.

I've seen Joy a few times now, once with a full band and another time solo acoustic. Going into this performance I would have told you I preferred her solo, but boy was her band tight last night. She still does the same I See America > Smells Like Teen Spirit that she did 3 years ago. In fact, I leaned and whispered to my BIL "Watch this" in anticipation. It works.
PXL_20240806_235840545.jpg

Hozier kinda blew me away. I have his first record and have listened to his next 2 in passing, but I was surprised how many I knew from those other 2. And then we're close to the peak of popularity for "Too Sweet" so there's that as well. His voice is fantastic. Like, everything from the records. Maybe it was the wet lawn, the fog rolling through the hills of Cuyahoga Falls National Park, or the stars just starting to peek their way through the clouds as he went on stage, but there was just some magic in the air.

PXL_20240807_005631665.jpg
PXL_20240807_010823577.NIGHT.jpg

Apparently the actress Mckenna Grace has an aspiring music career. Who knew? Last week, I found out that she would be headlining my favorite local venue and decided to check out the show. Needless to say, I felt very old in that crowd last night.

aAFEatT.jpeg

Not a recent show, but the anniversary of the last time I saw Neil Diamond came up in my memories. 8/7/2017, shortly before he retired. Neil did know how to put on a show!

IMG_3769.jpeg

Crawlers / Love & Rockets / Janes Addiction ~ Gallagher Square @ Petco Park, San Diego CA 8/11/2024

Some highs and lows in this show last night, second night of the US leg of the tour.

Crawlers opened, wasn't familiar with them at all but they had a ton of energy. Some reliance on backing tracks for backup / layered vocals and synth parts, and the guitar was lower in the mix than I'd like. Overall a fun set, good audience interaction.

IMG_0238.jpeg

Love & Rockets were up next. The mix was a bit off, everything just needed to be 'bigger', but the set itself was great and I'm glad I finally got a chance to see them,

IMG_0243.jpeg

Janes Addiction closed it out with the original lineup. Dave, Stephen, and Eric were fantastic, dialed in and they sounded great. I haven't followed Perry lately, but he seemed a bit off. Rambling dialogs, forgotten lyrics, and struggling to hit some notes. Moments of greatness for sure and like Love & Rockets I'm glad I got a chance to finally see them.

IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0271.jpeg

Saw the tour opener for Love & Rockets/Jane’s Addiction on Friday.

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

I had never seen L&R before so this was a big attraction for me. Their set was straightforward. Only speaking to the crowd once, maybe twice. Didn’t know that David J was a primarily one finger picker. They were great but the sound inside the BleuLive Theater was not good. I decided to go pee during So Alive.

I hadn’t seen JA since the very first Lollapalooza. I will echo what Ocean stated above. Dave, Eric and Stephen were very very good. I am not going to be too critical about Perry’s voice, because I’m sure that is difficult to continue his vocal stylings at his age, but his performance was off comparatively.
I was told third hand that there was arguing within the band prior to show time and the show was almost cancelled. I don’t know the sobriety status of the other 3 members, but Perry had his bottle of wine at the ready. Hopefully they can finish the tour.

Crawlers / Love & Rockets / Janes Addiction ~ Gallagher Square @ Petco Park, San Diego CA 8/11/2024

Some highs and lows in this show last night, second night of the US leg of the tour.

Crawlers opened, wasn't familiar with them at all but they had a ton of energy. Some reliance on backing tracks for backup / layered vocals and synth parts, and the guitar was lower in the mix than I'd like. Overall a fun set, good audience interaction.

View attachment 211043

Love & Rockets were up next. The mix was a bit off, everything just needed to be 'bigger', but the set itself was great and I'm glad I finally got a chance to see them,

View attachment 211044

Janes Addiction closed it out with the original lineup. Dave, Stephen, and Eric were fantastic, dialed in and they sounded great. I haven't followed Perry lately, but he seemed a bit off. Rambling dialogs, forgotten lyrics, and struggling to hit some notes. Moments of greatness for sure and like Love & Rockets I'm glad I got a chance to finally see them.

View attachment 211046
View attachment 211047

Did Jane's do an encore? I looked on Setlist and it shows 13 songs.

Did Jane's do an encore? I looked on Setlist and it shows 13 songs.
No - There was a hard curfew at 10pm given the location of the venue so they went right up to the clock.
I'm glad Dave's doing better. His long COVID seemed to really take a toll on him.
Agreed. He sounded great and I'm glad he got the energy back for touring.

I was told third hand that there was arguing within the band prior to show time and the show was almost cancelled. I don’t know the sobriety status of the other 3 members, but Perry had his bottle of wine at the ready. Hopefully they can finish the tour.

We heard the same thing about the San Diego show - also third hand from someone who knew the tour manager - prior to Janes set. They have 2 months to go, hopefully it firms up.

Short road trip to Columbus tonight for Childish Gambino on what may possibly have been my last opportunity ever to see him live before he hangs up the CG name for good.

Willow opened up the show with her unique stylings of alt R&B. I have to admit she was little more than a curiosity going in, but I was left legitimately impressed and look forward to listening to her album tomorrow.
PXL_20240816_000554725.jpg

Childish Gambino. What to even say except Donald Glover is a genius. The production was stunning at times, and he gave the crowd a fitting overview of just how great of a run he's had in the last decade+. A little less "Awaken My Love" then I would have wanted, but DAMN.

PXL_20240816_014218966.MP.jpg

I am traveling for a conference for work. It doesn't get officially started until tomorrow, so I naturally searched for some shows in Minneapolis this weekend. I certainly could not afford Metallica or Green Day, so I found a jazz club and thoroughly enjoyed the show. (I'm actually going to see Green Day nest week in Cincy!)

LAO TIZER BAND Feat. KAREN BRIGGS, ELLIOTT YAMIN & ERIC MARIENTHAL (sorry for the caps, I just copied/pasted the artists.)

I learned Eric the sax player is a multiple grammy winner, Elliot on vocals was on American Idol and went pretty far, the drummer (sorry, I did not catch his name) is fantastic and played with Kamasi Washington, and Karen is just plan awesome on the violin. The bassist was also awesome, but I did not catch his name, either. Lao Tizer burned up the keys.

If you are in Minneapolis and like jazz, I highly recommend the Dakota.

PXL_20240818_020146373.NIGHT.jpg

Back