Upcoming/Recent Shows

Artist: Yard Act
Opener: Omni
Venue: The Union Transfer Philly

IMG_5380.jpeg

The past 2 years the only concerts I’ve seen have been big arena shows for older artists. It’s great being able to see these groups and artists (like Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel, Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen) but every time I go to an arena show I just feel this disconnect, like I’m so far away I’m not really seeing them. So I’ve been really itching to see a small venue show again and last night I finally got the opportunity to when I saw Yard Act, and they reminded me perfectly why I love a small venue show.

Yesterday was kind of a shit show timing wise so I ended up getting to the venue late and missing pretty much all of the opening band Omni. I’ve listened to their newest album early in the week and I thought it was fine so I didn’t mind missing them, though what I heard was good. They did a cover of Sheryl Crow’s “All I Wanna Do” which was a blast and the most memorable part of their set.

Yard Act’s set was an absolute blast! I have a lot of strong opinions on their music, a lot of it I love and a lot of it I hate, so I felt really picky about what songs I wanted to hear and what songs I didn’t want to hear. But their performances were so killer that even the songs I don’t like sounded amazing. The lead singer is incredible charismatic on stage and the back up dancers were just a blast to watch. Every aspect of their performance was great and really got the crowd dancing.

Speaking of the crowd it was surprisingly small and chill. Really balanced mix of ages and genders which I wasn’t expecting lol. Pretty much no one had a phone out the whole night which was so refreshing! Everyone was dancing and really vibing to the music which is what makes concerts so fun for me.

Favorite song of the night is a hard pick. Maybe “Fizzy Fish”, maybe “Dream Job” (which had an extended dance sequence) or maybe “A Vineyard For the North”. Only songs I felt were missing from the set list were “Grifter’s Grief” and “Trappers Pelts” but the set list was so good and tight I can’t really complain about not getting em.

Mannequin Pussy / Margaritas Podridas @ Observatory North Park, San Diego CA 10/10/2024

Unfamiliar with both artists going in, we went on the recommendation of a friend who had seen Mannequin Pussy before. Excellent show, very visceral performances from both bands and a crowd that gave a lot of emotion back. The 17 year old was disappointed we didn't bring her, although she was pleased we bought her a shirt to wear to school today. Curious to see how that goes over...

Margaritas Podridas

IMG_1629.jpeg

Mannequin Pussy

IMG_1641.jpeg

Had the pleasure of seeing A.A. Williams in Portland about three weeks ago; four years in the time since her excellent debut record Forever Blue was released. Not a large crowd... roughly 100 in the audience by the time Williams took stage.

She performed for just over an hour, with a mixture of the debut and also As the Moon Rests from '22. Solid performance, with a balance on doomgaze and brooding, dark, yet resonant backdrops.

20240928_214007.jpg20240928_223641.jpg
20240928_215337.jpg

Video of "Love and Pain" from Forever Blue below:

After her set, she immediately headed to the merch table where she would interact with fans and manage transactions herself. I bought a gold 2xLP of As the Moon Rests despite initially not wanting one before and during the show, until she mentioned near the end of the set that she had to cancel a few dates due to an untimely blown tire while driving to Denver for the west side of the USA tour. She signed it and the Forever Blue I brought from home.

20241017_032434.jpg

Had the pleasure of seeing A.A. Williams in Portland about three weeks ago; four years in the time since her excellent debut record Forever Blue was released. Not a large crowd... roughly 100 in the audience by the time Williams took stage.

She performed for just over an hour, with a mixture of the debut and also As the Moon Rests from '22. Solid performance, with a balance on doomgaze and brooding, dark, yet resonant backdrops.

View attachment 216214View attachment 216215
View attachment 216216

Video of "Love and Pain" from Forever Blue below:

After her set, she immediately headed to the merch table where she would interact with fans and manage transactions herself. I bought a gold 2xLP of As the Moon Rests despite initially not wanting one before and during the show, until she mentioned near the end of the set that she had to cancel a few dates due to an untimely blown tire while driving to Denver for the west side of the USA tour. She signed it and the Forever Blue I brought from home.

View attachment 216213

Oh. My. Word.

A.A. Williams is my new favorite!

@Rip_City @THEEDADROCK.BLOG Been streaming A.A. Williams today while I'm working, really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing. Off to order As The Moon Rests now.
I can't take any credit - it's all @Rip_City! 🍻
Happy to see her get more listeners. Surprised she has just over 12k followers on IG.

I see you lurking here @Tyr; you were the first N&G member I introduced A.A. Williams to during a random late night JQBX session ~3.5 years ago 📻

A couple of great shows late last week...

Hinds returned to Portland for the first time in 6 years, and put on an excellent show at Mississippi Studios.

IMG_0365.JPG

Said hello to Ana and Carlotta after the show, encouraging them to come back for Pickathon, and asked them to sign a couple of LPs.

IMG_0395.JPG

Khun Narin Electric Phin Band (Thai psych band ) made their first appearance in Portland at Lollipop Shoppe. They are touring the west coast at the moment, and I heartily recommend if you can catch a show.

IMG_0384.JPG

Stars - Set Yourself on Fire 20th Anniversary Tour @ the Chapel, San Francisco

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg
IMG_3184.jpeg
IMG_3189.jpeg
One of my all time favorite bands playing my favorite album of theirs front to back! The stage was crowded with 8 members up there but it was such a great time. Plus Kevin Drew from Broken Social Scene opened the evening with an inspired set.

My friend and I met Torq and Amy preshow, they both signed my copy of the North and we got a pick with Torq.
IMG_3194.jpeg
IMG_6213.jpeg
And I had to take home a poster - it's pretty great!
IMG_3195.jpeg

Back