Upcoming/Recent Shows

Ohana Festival Day 1 Recap - Doheney State Beach 9/27/2024

Excellent start to 3 days at Ohana. Kicked it off with Flipturn on the Tiki stage who I wasn't familiar with, but had a energetic set.

IMG_1213.jpeg

Next up was Crowded House on the Ohana stage. Eddie has toured with members of them before, so it was no surprise when he came out to sing on a few songs. Neil Finn's voice was fantastic.

IMG_1225.jpeg

Back to Tiki for Maren Morris. Ducked out after a bit, not my speed but others in my group said she hit her stride later in her set.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Rest of the night was back at the Ohana stage.

Devo had a fun set that felt like it went a little long. Much better than the las time I saw them though. They replaced Garbage on the lineup due to Shirley's surgery.

IMG_1254.jpeg

Pearl Jam closed out the night with an excellent set. Kicked it off with Low Light, one of my favorite songs of theirs. Liam Finn came out for a scorching version of Habit, Eddie did a lovely acoustic version of Future Days, but the highlight was the debut of Whale Song which was originally released in 1999 and written by Jack Irons. Jack couldn't be there, so his son Zack did the honors. Really cool.

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

Ohana Festival Day 2 Recap - Doheney State Beach 9/28/2024

Entered the venue just in time to meet @Matt M and catch Cat Power doing her 1966 Dylan set on the Ohana stage
, which was excellent. Band was tight, and really enjoyed how Cat Power channeled Dylan and switched her phrasing around. She was much more comfortable than previous times I'd seen her doing her own material. I wonder if the less personal nature of it helps. Eddie and some of Jenny Lewis's band came out to sing background on Like A Rolling Stone.

IMG_1299.jpegIMG_4432.jpeg

Next up, Glen Hansard on the Tiki stage. He's an Ohana staple for a good reason. A number of guests came out during his set. Olivia Vedder sang My Fathers Daughter, Eddie dueted on Tender Mercies, and he brought a very young kid out of the audience to sing Star Star, which was really impressive.

IMG_1309.jpeg

Back to Ohana stage for Jenny Lewis. Always a great performance, very happy to get three songs off The Voyager in the set.

IMG_1318.jpeg

Back to the Tiki Stage for Black Pumas. Felt a little slick at first, but they loosened up as the set went on. Eddie came out for a cover of Dock of the Bay.

IMG_1330.jpeg

Turnpike Troubadours were up next back at the Ohana stage. Not that familiar with them, pacing of the set seemed off. High energy to start, fizzled out as the set went on.

IMG_1346.jpeg

Sting closed out the night replacing Neil Young & Crazy Horse, with his new Sting 3.0 trio. First time I'd seen him since the Police reunion tour a number of years ago. Thought he seemed really energized and engaged in this format, his musicanship and skill at bass shone through. The trio format made for some surprisingly impressive re-interpretations of his post-Police work.

IMG_4481.jpeg

Ohana Festival Day 3 Recap - Doheney State Beach 9/29/2024

Last day of the festival, and was definitely my favorite.

Showed up a little earlier than other days to catch La Santa Cecilia, an LA based group playing traditional Cumbia, Bossa Nova, and other Latin American music. They did a version of Strawberry Fields Forever that blew me away.

IMG_1403.jpeg

Kim Gordon was next up. Eddie came out to introduce her. Excellent set with heavy bass & drums.

IMG_1420.jpeg

Back to the main stage for La Lom for their Latin American fused instrumental set.

IMG_1427.jpeg

Didn't get a pic, but Peter Cat Recording Studio from New Delhi was up after that. Love the diversity at this festival.

Breeders were after Peter Cat Recording Studio. Good set marred by a scuffle at the start of Cannonball, which they had to restart. Kim was super appreciative of the audience, you could tell she was enjoying herself.

IMG_1433.jpeg

Idles followed with maybe my favorite set of the weekend. Totally unfamiliar with them (besides having heard the name) but a super energetic set. First time I'd seen a pit break out at Ohana. Would love to see them again.

IMG_1442.jpeg

Back to Alanis Morrisette on the big stage. Things started getting super crowded so we just hung out at the back. Again, a great performance and the crowd gave back as much emotion as she gave. She does a great job of connecting with a large crowd.

IMG_1461.jpeg

Pearl Jam closed out the weekend and the night with the 2nd performance of the festival. Garden kicked it off with a strong main set. Encore started with Eddie and his daughter Harper doing a Last Kiss / The Best Day (Taylor Swift) mashup. Not something I had on my bingo card. Glen came back out for Song of Good Hope and then the best part of the weekend followed with the live debut of Gremmie Out of Control with Stone on vocals and 60's surf movie dancing. So good. Long weekend for sure, feel like I've just recovered and is Thursday.

IMG_1465.jpegIMG_1474.jpeg

Ohana Festival Day 3 Recap - Doheney State Beach 9/29/2024

Last day of the festival, and was definitely my favorite.

Showed up a little earlier than other days to catch La Santa Cecilia, an LA based group playing traditional Cumbia, Bossa Nova, and other Latin American music. They did a version of Strawberry Fields Forever that blew me away.

View attachment 215163

Kim Gordon was next up. Eddie came out to introduce her. Excellent set with heavy bass & drums.

View attachment 215164

Back to the main stage for La Lom for their Latin American fused instrumental set.

View attachment 215165

Didn't get a pic, but Peter Cat Recording Studio from New Delhi was up after that. Love the diversity at this festival.

Breeders were after Peter Cat Recording Studio. Good set marred by a scuffle at the start of Cannonball, which they had to restart. Kim was super appreciative of the audience, you could tell she was enjoying herself.

View attachment 215166

Idles followed with maybe my favorite set of the weekend. Totally unfamiliar with them (besides having heard the name) but a super energetic set. First time I'd seen a pit break out at Ohana. Would love to see them again.

View attachment 215167

Back to Alanis Morrisette on the big stage. Things started getting super crowded so we just hung out at the back. Again, a great performance and the crowd gave back as much emotion as she gave. She does a great job of connecting with a large crowd.

View attachment 215169

Pearl Jam closed out the weekend and the night with the 2nd performance of the festival. Garden kicked it off with a strong main set. Encore started with Eddie and his daughter Harper doing a Last Kiss / The Best Day (Taylor Swift) mashup. Not something I had on my bingo card. Glen came back out for Song of Good Hope and then the best part of the weekend followed with the live debut of Gremmie Out of Control with Stone on vocals and 60's surf movie dancing. So good. Long weekend for sure, feel like I've just recovered and is Thursday.

View attachment 215170View attachment 215171
Ditto on all three days. Also got a little sick/voice gone thing and just starting to feel better. Probably didn't help that 3 hours after flying into Portland I was already at the Jack White show. Fun weekend and good to catch up, already looking forward to next year!

Western NC is full of independent music venues that were totally devastated by Helene. Help if you can. Link at the top of the article. Thanks, friends.

Busy weekend.

Vampire Weekend #2 on Friday. They played 9/10 songs from the new album and a bunch of covers on request as their encore.

View attachment 214277

View attachment 214278

Bourbon and Beyond yesterday. Only attended one of the 4 days of the festival this year, but caught Sunny Day Real Estate, Beach Boys (or at least the Mike Love cover band), War on Drugs #5, The National #4, and hometown homies My Morning Jacket #2, almost exactly 10 years after the last time. Those last 3 felt especially fantastic this time around.Tyler Childers was the headliner, who I like but don't love. Had been standing for 8hrs so we hoofed ot outta there. V sleepy today.

View attachment 214279

View attachment 214280

View attachment 214281

View attachment 214282
wish I had known some N&Groovers were here! I was in Louisville for 18 of the loudest days in Kentucky. hope you had a good time!

I'll most likely be back for Bourbon/Louder in 2025 if the lineup is good enough for you to pop up again.

Back