Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

FWIW I've never heard Lilly on the radio in Indy ever. Used to hear John occasionally, but not much anymore. He'd have to change his last name to Mellencamp to get back into rotation here.
Not sure if you pick up IPR where you're at, but they just picked up one of my local station's shows for syndication starting last week. Saturdays at 10pm you'll hear Cruisin' the Decades with our Program Director, Brad Savage - a song from every decade starting in the 1910's. Some really interesting listening.

That Lilly Hiatt record is just lovely. First spin yesterday afternoon and the urge is to ignore the small stack of "to spin" just to listen to it a few more times in a row.

I just adore Lilly and this record. Love the way it swings musically and stylistically. Point in case - who expects a J Mascis-like guitar solo in the middle of a twangy breakup song...

Can’t believe I hadn’t checked out Cowboy Junkies before this. We listened to them all morning, and my wife commented several times how much she loved it. Any specific album recommendations besides this one? Thanks!

Something I meant to mention about Cowboy Junkies...

One of the reasons I love Margo so much, in addition to her beautiful voice, is the way every song she sings presents as incredibly personal and displays a real emotional dedication and investment. Something you expect to hear when great songwriters perform their tunes.

Fun fact - her brother, Michael, writes all their music and lyrics.

This woman is amazing.

Something I meant to mention about Cowboy Junkies...

One of the reasons I love Margo so much, in addition to her beautiful voice, is the way every song she sings presents as incredibly personal and displays a real emotional dedication and investment. Something you expect to hear when great songwriters perform their tunes.

Fun fact - her brother, Michael, writes all their music and lyrics.

This woman is amazing.
As the Cowboy Junkies albums roll in, I keep opening them and saying to my wife, “look dear, I bought you *another* present!”

Spent two listens with Cowboy Junkies tonight. Having already owned two albums on CD (Trinity Sessions and Whites Off Earth Now) it reminded me how much more time I should spend with them.

Somewhere in the middle of the second listen, I had a realization that there is a distinct 4AD vibe going on with them that I had never noticed before. When I consider how their music and sound fits perfectly alongside 4AD artists I love like Heidi Berry and Mojave 3, I'm surprised I never previously made the connection.

For reference:

1. A song from this album

2. A song from Trinity Sessions

3. Heidi Berry

4. Mojave 3

Last edited:
Spent two listens with Cowboy Junkies tonight. Having already owned two albums on CD (Trinity Sessions and Whites Off Earth Now) it reminded me how much more time I should spend with them.

Somewhere in the middle of the second listen, I had a realization that there is a distinct 4AD vibe going on with them that I had never noticed before. When I consider how their music and sound fits perfectly alongside 4AD artists I love like Heidi Berry and Mojave 3, I'm surprised I never previously made the connection.

For reference:

1. A song from this album

2. A song from Trinity Sessions

3. Heidi Berry

4. Mojave 3

This is the sort of thing that I was thinking of when I compared them to cocteau twins. they have a aesthetic and vibe to them that cuts through all their albums, even though they're not the same album repeated (like ac/dc or something)

Spent a few listens with Bette Smith this morning. Holy crap, this is fantastic!

Before spinning the album, I listened to a few cursory clips and I was sure that I was about to encounter a soul or R&B album. Listening to it, and really noticing the musical influence history within it, I am ready to admit I was wrong. This album is more than soul or R&B. It is also rock and roll. It is the blues. It is the kind of country that Ray Charles was delivering, possibly even the cosmic americana that Gram Parsons was hinting at on the first Flying Burrito Brothers album. It was a bigger sound of all of these musics than a simple genre classification.
I can't recommend this album enough to anyone who may have been on the fence about buying it.

On another note, I am wondering if something was intentional or not.

This is the back cover photograph:

NjItNTE3NS5qcGVn.jpeg

The pose and look seemed very familiar... until I remembered where I had seen something similar before:

MS0zNTc5LmpwZWc.jpeg

So I did a little research and came up with what I think is the artwork this was appropriated from:

lossy-page1-800px-An_Evening_with_Angela_Davis_flyer.tif.jpg

I am wondering if there is a deliberate similarity between the back cover photograph and this Angela Davis artwork.

Any thoughts?

Spent a few listens with Bette Smith this morning. Holy crap, this is fantastic!

Before spinning the album, I listened to a few cursory clips and I was sure that I was about to encounter a soul or R&B album. Listening to it, and really noticing the musical influence history within it, I am ready to admit I was wrong. This album is more than soul or R&B. It is also rock and roll. It is the blues. It is the kind of country that Ray Charles was delivering, possibly even the cosmic americana that Gram Parsons was hinting at on the first Flying Burrito Brothers album. It was a bigger sound of all of these musics than a simple genre classification.
I can't recommend this album enough to anyone who may have been on the fence about buying it.

On another note, I am wondering if something was intentional or not.

This is the back cover photograph:

NjItNTE3NS5qcGVn.jpeg

The pose and look seemed very familiar... until I remembered where I had seen something similar before:

MS0zNTc5LmpwZWc.jpeg

So I did a little research and came up with what I think is the artwork this was appropriated from:

lossy-page1-800px-An_Evening_with_Angela_Davis_flyer.tif.jpg

I am wondering if there is a deliberate similarity between the back cover photograph and this Angela Davis artwork.

Any thoughts?

I'm so glad you enjoyed that record. I think Bette Smith is as top shelf as they come and she really gets no press or play.

Your summation is pretty spot on. Bette's not necessarily constrained by genre and she injects her own flavor. If you're particularly astute (or, as in my case, old enough to actually live way back when), I Found Love is a Lone Justice cover...

As for the Angela Davis poster similarities, that's a really keen observation. I'm not aware of any intentional connection but any strong woman paying homage to another strong woman makes total sense to me.

Last edited:
Spun Lilly Hiatt tonight.

I love her voice. It's hard to describe, but as I listened I kept waiting for it to go awry and then it never did. There's a frailty in it that her spirit will just not let win. And without even asking for it, her singing demands to take the throne vacated by Loretta Lynn.

And I could easily listen to "Imposter" on repeat and not get tired of it.

Thank you, @Yer Ol' Uncle D for hipping me to this!

Back