Vinyl Me Please Anthology

They’re really pumping out the Anthologies, huh? Pretty cool but hard to justify buying more than one or two a year. Thankfully seems like they’re not selling nearly as fast. Cadet still at 588 in stock.
Probably a huge moneymaker for them. And big cash flow injection. Agree it’s hard to justify buying all or close to all of them though. 1 per quarter would probably be a sweet spot. Cadet is the first one I’ve gotten in awhile.

Yeah, I had a feeling I was going to since I'm getting hit with duties on EVERYTHING now coming from the US. It went from pretty rare to getting hit without fail. At least this one I was fully expecting. I think I've paid about $300 in duties in the past few months and I've been banned from ordering anything from the States for the rest of the year. Even if I didn't have this restriction it just isn't worth it anymore.

Yeah because of how strict the EU has become VMP just registered to collect EU VAT and charge it upfront. It means 23% onto everything so the records are hugely expensive, especially since the euro sank against the dollar, but at least you know where you stand and you don’t get hit by the hidden fees from the couriers.

Probably a huge moneymaker for them. And big cash flow injection. Agree it’s hard to justify buying all or close to all of them though. 1 per quarter would probably be a sweet spot. Cadet is the first one I’ve gotten in awhile.

Agreed with 1 per quarter quarter is the sweet spot for me. But now that they will have their own plant for it, I can see more coming out.

Eh maybe a big moneymaker, but I’m not too convinced. I don’t know what they cost to make, but licensing and production has to be pretty damn expensive for some of these artists. Most every single box set these days goes on sale significantly, it’s not like they’re selling out at the list price. But if they keep doing them I would think they like the profit? Who knows. Only one I’ve ever bought was Zamrock, and probably Cadet early next year.

Eh maybe a big moneymaker, but I’m not too convinced. I don’t know what they cost to make, but licensing and production has to be pretty damn expensive for some of these artists. Most every single box set these days goes on sale significantly, it’s not like they’re selling out at the list price. But if they keep doing them I would think they like the profit? Who knows. Only one I’ve ever bought was Zamrock, and probably Cadet early next year.
As soon as they start using their own plant (which I’m guessing they are waiting on for impulse), it’ll be even more profitable. The Dead box probably cost an arm and a leg to license but pretty sure they are repressing it and sold 2,500 copies so far.

They have had one sale on anthologies so far and probably still made profit on those. The curation is more of an issue than price point IMO. I could have told you Vanguard and Comedy store wouldn’t sell well. They waited too long to repress Zamrock too IMO. Most got broken out into individual releases.

I have Zamrock, tribe records and Blue Note and they are all great. Ordered Cadet and probably more excited about that one than Impulse now since a bunch of the impulse titles are already reissued. If they do something like Miles, I bet it sells out pretty quickly if it’s all AAA and they choose some good titles. Dolly will probably sell out too.

As soon as they start using their own plant (which I’m guessing they are waiting on for impulse), it’ll be even more profitable. The Dead box probably cost an arm and a leg to license but pretty sure they are repressing it and sold 2,500 copies so far.

They have had one sale on anthologies so far and probably still made profit on those. The curation is more of an issue than price point IMO. I could have told you Vanguard and Comedy store wouldn’t sell well. They waited too long to repress Zamrock too IMO. Most got broken out into individual releases.

I have Zamrock, tribe records and Blue Note and they are all great. Ordered Cadet and probably more excited about that one than Impulse now since a bunch of the impulse titles are already reissued. If they do something like Miles, I bet it sells out pretty quickly if it’s all AAA and they choose some good titles. Dolly will probably sell out too.

My issue is repressing. Don't sell it as limited and then make more like zamrock. Either keep it limited or keep it open ended

I think on the last few it stated a first pressing of 1000 which leaves them open to doing further repressing

@jamieanderson1968 is right. They started saying “first pressing limited to xxxx”. Doesn’t mean they WILL repress but…I wish more places would do that. Gets the music in the hands of more people.

And that's fine. But zamrock wasn't. I just want transparency

I have Women of Motown and Willie, and those are both high quality.

I was trying to find clean copies of lots of Motown stuff at the time, which definitely helped me pull the trigger on that one. I think now you could put together a similar set for less. I know at least one of the albums was out for BFRSD this year, for example.

I'm not complaining, and I spin a lot of it often. Just saying it was sort of near the beginning of this wider Motown re-releases that have been coming since. I think that if any of these label specific ones sell particularly well, then it will encourage rights holders to press more. $$$

I have Women of Motown and Willie, and those are both high quality.

I was trying to find clean copies of lots of Motown stuff at the time, which definitely helped me pull the trigger on that one. I think now you could put together a similar set for less. I know at least one of the albums was out for BFRSD this year, for example.

I'm not complaining, and I spin a lot of it often. Just saying it was sort of near the beginning of this wider Motown re-releases that have been coming since. I think that if any of these label specific ones sell particularly well, then it will encourage rights holders to press more. $$$
wish that women of motown one wasn't so hard to find and pricy. I'll probably hunt one down next year.

I'm not sure how I wound up getting an alert for this thread, but it sounds like there are a bunch of warped Willie anthologies floating around. Are they letting you all keep them?

I say keep asking for replacements as needed and flood the PIF thread (which I frequent).

Back