Vinyl Me Please Classics

There are no 7/10 Alice Coltrane records!

View attachment 206908
Fine. 7.1/10
Seriously, it’s one of those VMP deeper cuts that’s good, but after an initial 2 or 3 spins, how many times will I actually play it? If I feel like Alice Coltrane, I’m going to put on Ptah or Satchidananda, not Eternity.

[
That wasn’t the case when I rejoined. 🤷‍♀️

Well then maybe nothing is stopping you haha it’s been a minute since I left and rejoined and never tried that loophole. Can you manually cancel a subscription if you just joined?

I don’t know. It was just a thought. I’m a member till March or something.
If you join before swaps open in a month, you're stuck with whatever you sign up with and you cannot change your membership. If you join when swaps are open, you can swap your selection and change your membership until swaps close. So take from that what you will.

Fine. 7.1/10
Seriously, it’s one of those VMP deeper cuts that’s good, but after an initial 2 or 3 spins, how many times will I actually play it? If I feel like Alice Coltrane, I’m going to put on Ptah or Satchidananda, not Eternity.
This is the thing with most artists: unless they are your absolute favorite, how many albums do you wanna roll deep? I own an Alice Coltrane album and that is more than enough for me and I would imagine except for her biggest fans that's probably enough for most people. For most, this release will be collecting dust on their shelves for the next 11 months before being traded in at their local for $10 in store credit a year from now.

Fine. 7.1/10

I can dig it. I'm just playing. I absolutely love Alice but I know I'm in the minority in my excitement – especially for her later stuff on Warner. While it's not the worst pick they could have made for an AotM, it's definitely questionable how "essential" it is.

Its the same old narrative of them shooting themselves in the foot with the "essential" wording. Unless they go for the most acclaimed album by each artist they choose then it isn't really going to be considered essential by most people.

Personally, I really like the Alice record and can see me digging it out to play quite a bit despite having some of her bigger albums such as Journey In Satchidananda and Ptah, The El Daoud. In fact, one of the main reasons I like the Classic series is that the genres they pick typically (ignoring whatever that Harry Nilsson is) match with my tastes, so even if im not familiar with a record they choose there is a good chance that I will enjoy it.

Its the same old narrative of them shooting themselves in the foot with the "essential" wording. Unless they go for the most acclaimed album by each artist they choose then it isn't really going to be considered essential by most people.

Personally, I really like the Alice record and can see me digging it out to play quite a bit despite having some of her bigger albums such as Journey In Satchidananda and Ptah, The El Daoud. In fact, one of the main reasons I like the Classic series is that the genres they pick typically (ignoring whatever that Harry Nilsson is) match with my tastes, so even if im not familiar with a record they choose there is a good chance that I will enjoy it.

I think however you word it the main track is always going to need to grab headlines. Putting a less known album by an obscure artist isn’t ever going to have most people frothing over your headline track. On the other hand you could probably easily get away with a Tusk or the like in the same track. It’s horses for courses. But in general their curation feels like it is running out of steam and grasping at trying to be interesting rather than just picking solid albums that a good chunk of people want.

I think however you word it the main track is always going to need to grab headlines. Putting a less known album by an obscure artist isn’t ever going to have most people frothing over your headline track. On the other hand you could probably easily get away with a Tusk or the like in the same track. It’s horses for courses. But in general their curation feels like it is running out of steam and grasping at trying to be interesting rather than just picking solid albums that a good chunk of people want.
Totally agree. I think now most big labels have figured out what VMP is doing for a business model and doing for themselves so they can reap all the profits. This is what I think the Rhino HiFi is doing. When you have such a deep roster, why go out of house?

But in general their curation feels like it is running out of steam and grasping at trying to be interesting rather than just picking solid albums that a good chunk of people want.
This is how I feel exactly. And what they do press that I may actually want, I sometimes already own or I often can find a slightly different version for a 1/3 or 1/2 the price.

So much is being pressed and reissued these days, the market is flooded with albums. I'm seeing more and more sales and heavy discounts on vinyl records, that it's not difficult to find good albums at affordable prices. I just dont see the need to overpay for some mystery album that a stranger picked out and hyped up because some backstory I dont have time to read about.

This is how I feel exactly. And what they do press that I may actually want, I sometimes already own or I often can find a slightly different version for a 1/3 or 1/2 the price.

So much is being pressed and reissued these days, the market is flooded with albums. I'm seeing more and more sales and heavy discounts on vinyl records, that it's not difficult to find good albums at affordable prices. I just dont see the need to overpay for some mystery album that a stranger picked out and hyped up because some backstory I dont have time to read about.

I could totally see myself paying more for something I’d genuinely like to own, or maybe even already own, with nice presentation and the name mastering engineers working from source tapes that they often do. I think that’s where they distinguish themselves. Trying to be clever or reinvent the wheel is where they cause all their own problems.

Take with a a grain of salt since it’s a random Reddit user but I found this post from less than a month ago…

“Actually, all classic series albums come in a tip-on sleeve minus the following: Archie Shepp's "Attica Blues," Miles Davis "Star People," Miles Davis & John Coltrane "The Final Tour," (and I believe) Koko Taylor's "I Got What It Takes." Otherwise, the other tracks have various types of jackets, and the Classic series is primarily tip-on.”

I don't have Attica Blues or Koko Taylor but the 2 Miles Davis Classics ROTMs are direct-to-board, yes. Every single other one is in a tip-on

And I will say, they started as all being pressed at GZ until for that sweet little stretch when they were at QRP. Then back to GZ minus a 3 month run of RTI pressings.

Back