Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Lots of delays from VMP...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin'

• Shipping month changed from May to September
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

• Expected ship date is currently TBD
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (Box Set)

• Shipping month changed from May to July
Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

• The street date has been moved from May 6th to July 24th. We expect this to ship in August.
David Gray - White Ladder

• Expected to ship in May
NNAMDÏ - BRAT

• The street date has been pushed, exact date TBD but estimating it will be within the June-July timeframe.

Makes it even funnier that they are sending some proceeds from Whitney to charity since it won't even ship until July now...
Weird, I didn't get the email about Art Blakey being delayed, but I did get the email about Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes being delayed....

Yes it is. FOMO itself is fine, how you choose to institute it are very different and can easily cross a line between acceptable and shady. They choose to institute FOMO with lies and deception, that’s not cool. The sad thing is, they don’t need to utilize those geurilla tactics, the product will sell with honesty the same as without.

The running theme here definitely seems to be more about deceit than just FOMO in general. Lying in order to create the fear that you'll miss something instead of just allowing the popularity of the product to do that work for you. In that sense, FOMO isn't the issue, honesty is. Do you think that's fair to say?

This all day. VMP flat out lies.

Every single month now, VMP labels all of its new ROTMs in its store as “sold out,” regardless of how many copies are available and will show up a few weeks later for sale in the store and/or swaps. The only reason for saying something is “sold out” for these brand new releases is to create a false impression that the demand has swallowed up the supply. There is zero truth in the statement that those releases have “sold out.” The ONLY way anyone would have been able to secure one of those “sold out” new ROTMs would be to be a member for that track when they were announced during the swap window for the month. And then they are labelled as “sold out” for the rest of the month. Then, the next month, when those records show up in the store, the impression for a new customer would be “oh damn, they must have found a few extra copies of this ‘sold out’ record so I better jump on this now!”

They say the anthologies are “sold out” instead of saying that they are no longer available due to the self-imposed purchasing window.

They also artificially manipulate available stock so that things “sell out” and then show up later as “swap exclusives” that only members will have access to.

When they hold back copies for replacements, they don’t tell people that they’re holding back copies for replacements. They don’t say that they’ll release them once they’ve ensured that everyone who has purchased a record has received it (without any issues that require a replacement). They just say there are no copies left of the record - which, again, is not true.

There is most definitely a way of doing business that doesn’t require you to lie to your customers. But VMP has discovered that lying helps them manipulate people into buying things they might have waited on.

Lots of delays from VMP...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin'

• Shipping month changed from May to September
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

• Expected ship date is currently TBD
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston (Box Set)

• Shipping month changed from May to July
Courtney Marie Andrews - Old Flowers

• The street date has been moved from May 6th to July 24th. We expect this to ship in August.
David Gray - White Ladder

• Expected to ship in May
NNAMDÏ - BRAT

• The street date has been pushed, exact date TBD but estimating it will be within the June-July timeframe.

Makes it even funnier that they are sending some proceeds from Whitney to charity since it won't even ship until July now...

Is Errol Garner being delayed?
I got shipping notification for my essentials (swapped) but my classics AotM remains unfulfilled.
Tracking says package weighs a little under a pound, so it looks like there's only one record in there.

Im. Being a bit lazy here but ive scan read the When the Pawn info and am 15 pages behind here.....
didnt see them claim this had any longtime exclusivity- thinking this is gonna get a wide release in September ?
Which given VMPs history of this makes sense no ?

Im. Being a bit lazy here but ive scan read the When the Pawn info and am 15 pages behind here.....
didnt see them claim this had any longtime exclusivity- thinking this is gonna get a wide release in September ?
Which given VMPs history of this makes sense no ?
Pitchfork said VMP has the sole rights to press it. Combined with it being black vinyl and Tidal and Idler Wheel showing up nowhere else yet...I think the general consensus is that it won’t be anywhere else anytime soon.

with that said, if this run sells out they will almost definitely repress it at VMP.

Mine all have been shipped on Friday I think, last month I was very late, this month I seem to be among the first, so that's cool. I have swapped all RotMs this month and all my orders are titles they had for a while.

Pitchfork said VMP has the sole rights to press it. Combined with it being black vinyl and Tidal and Idler Wheel showing up nowhere else yet...I think the general consensus is that it won’t be anywhere else anytime soon.

with that said, if this run sells out they will almost definitely repress it at VMP.

I'd caution everyone to read the Pitchfork article and the VMP announcement and to recognize how very general and broad and obtuse the language is.

@ByersVinyl - the article says VMP has the rights to this press. So yes, there will be other versions available at a later time.

I'd caution everyone to read the Pitchfork article and the VMP announcement and to recognize how very general and broad and obtuse the language is.

@ByersVinyl - the article says VMP has the rights to this press. So yes, there will be other versions available at a later time.
Could be true but the fact we haven’t seen Tidal or Idler Wheel get repressed elsewhere makes me think the broad language is just an out in case someone presses it a year down the road...Tidal was released 3 years ago this month on VMP and is still the only pressing.

Could be true but the fact we haven’t seen Tidal or Idler Wheel get repressed elsewhere makes me think the broad language is just an out in case someone presses it a year down the road...Tidal was released 3 years ago this month on VMP and is still the only pressing.

That was during a cycle where the artist had released nothing in between 5 and 8 years. The new release and the increase in profile that it will bring significantly shortens the odds on there being non-VMP releases pressed.

Is Errol Garner being delayed?
I got shipping notification for my essentials (swapped) but my classics AotM remains unfulfilled.
Tracking says package weighs a little under a pound, so it looks like there's only one record in there.
The last few months they have been shipping LP when they get them meaning if you order more than one track you may get more than one shipment. Last month the essentials and classics tracks were shipped together at the beginning of the month and R&HH was sent at the end of the month. I don’t know if “delayed” is the right word but not ready to ship when the rest of you box was ready to roll.

The last few months they have been shipping LP when they get them meaning if you order more than one track you may get more than one shipment. Last month the essentials and classics tracks were shipped together at the beginning of the month and R&HH was sent at the end of the month. I don’t know if “delayed” is the right word but not ready to ship when the rest of you box was ready to roll.

Seems counterintuitive (shipping costs go up for them) but, being VMP it makes sense.

That was during a cycle where the artist had released nothing in between 5 and 8 years. The new release and the increase in profile that it will bring significantly shortens the odds on there being non-VMP releases pressed.
Could very well be true. I don’t think anybody needs to rush and buy one from VMP but I’m still not convinced this will get a wider release soon.

Seems counterintuitive (shipping costs go up for them) but, being VMP it makes sense.
In America it kinda makes sense since they no longer ship via Fed Ex and have switched to US Postal Service Media Mail which is considerably cheaper, Funny enough I think they made the right decision there, while the tracking is much worse the shipping time is just as fast if not faster than through Fed Ex. I am surprised on International Shipments though, but whatever at least you don’t have to wait and it doesn’t cost ya anymore.

Last edited:
In America it kinda makes sense since they no longer ship via Fed Ex and have switched to US Postal Service Media Mail which is considerably cheaper, Funny enough I think they made the right decision there, while the tracking is much worse the shipping time is just as fast if not faster and though Fed Ex. I am surprised on International Shipments though, but whatever at least you don’t have to wait and it doesn’t cost ya anymore.
I wish they would ditch DHL, USPS first class is faster and has way more reliable tracking, though it's certainly more expensive than DHL.
Eh, it'll get here when it gets here...

I wish they would ditch DHL, USPS first class is faster and has way more reliable tracking, though it's certainly more expensive than DHL.
USPS tracking as of late has been awful for me...informed delivery is always off by a day or two. I sold a somewhat expensive record ($90) last week and shipped it. The tracking said it was delivered to a totally different zip code and the buyer, rightfully, was concerned. But the next day it showed up at their place.

DHL to Canada used to be fairly quick with decent tracking. But because DHL was handing off to Canada Post, it was Canada Post's tracking that was good. For a while shipments took only a week from email notice to delivery. But since flustercluck late last year, the label is created and nothing happens for 4-6 days, then DHL picks it up and it sits in their warehouse for another 7-9 days before they ship it across the border. For all the crap that Canada Post gets for being inefficient, once the package has landed in Canada I have it in about 36hrs usually.

DHL to Canada used to be fairly quick with decent tracking. But because DHL was handing off to Canada Post, it was Canada Post's tracking that was good. For a while shipments took only a week from email notice to delivery. But since flustercluck late last year, the label is created and nothing happens for 4-6 days, then DHL picks it up and it sits in their warehouse for another 7-9 days before they ship it across the border. For all the crap that Canada Post gets for being inefficient, once the package has landed in Canada I have it in about 36hrs usually.
Totally agree with this.
UPS is now delivering to me instead of Canada Post and it's been awful. They delivered my Woodstock boxset somewhere but not sure where (but not my place). Now I have a claim open with them. Canada Post was freaking awesome, maybe 3 days from when they got it. UPS has been well over a week. UPS is now also using contract delivery people similar to Dynamex and Amazon, it's terrible and they have lost the proper tracking with packages (hence my boxset going somewhere). Purolator is still the worst but UPS is sadly making even them look good.

Back