Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

We ordered similar amounts of Ramones to what we ordered for Black Moses, Joni Mitchell, and DMX.
Based on the announce reaction (people complained about 2 Ramones, milquetoast boilerplate about "Lost Sounds Found") , we assumed that'd be fine. Given how many Joni, DMX and Isaac we have on hand now, we especially thought we were fine

Swap out rate for Ramones was near historic lows for Essentials. Something like 1/4 of as many people who swapped OUT of DMX and Joni swapped out of Ramones

Swap IN rates (ie people swapping from Rock, Classics or another track into Ramones) were sky high compared to past months.

Which lead to us being oversold.

So instead of it being a lottery for who will or will not get a copy, we made a tough decision

We decided to prioritize people who were subscribed to Essentials as the priority.

So, if you swapped into Ramones, we needed to remove that. Which is what we said in the email.

It's less than ideal, but it's the only choice we needed to make: Essentials members get the priority over people who swapped into it. We also swapped anyone who was on a free promo subscription to Too Tough to Die, because we prioritized only PAYING Essentials members

Basically, it was a shit decision that we were forced to make. We want everyone to get the record they love, but it's not an infinite inventory pool.

There will be no repress (google the Ramones and see why)

We ordered similar amounts of Ramones to what we ordered for Black Moses, Joni Mitchell, and DMX.
Based on the announce reaction (people complained about 2 Ramones, milquetoast boilerplate about "Lost Sounds Found") , we assumed that'd be fine. Given how many Joni, DMX and Isaac we have on hand now, we especially thought we were fine

Swap out rate for Ramones was near historic lows for Essentials. Something like 1/4 of as many people who swapped OUT of DMX and Joni swapped out of Ramones

Swap IN rates (ie people swapping from Rock, Classics or another track into Ramones) were sky high compared to past months.

So instead of it being a lottery for who will or will not get a copy, we made a tough decision

We decided to prioritize people who were subscribed to Essentials as the priority.

So, if you swapped into Ramones, we needed to remove that. Which is what we said in the email.

It's less than ideal, but it's the only choice we needed to make: Essentials members get the priority over people who swapped into it. We also swapped anyone who was on a free promo subscription to Too Tough to Die, because we prioritized only PAYING Essentials members

Basically, it was a shit decision that we were forced to make. We want everyone to get the record they love, but it's not an infinite inventory pool.

I mean, this doesn't seem to be THAT egregious. Their logic feels sound to me in terms of prioritizing who does and doesn't get the record. Should they/could they have made better forecasts around the demand, yeah that's **probably** an oopsies but I also don't know what actual data they have to justify pressing a bunch more of a particular record versus past months.

I mean, this doesn't seem to be THAT egregious. Their logic feels sound to me in terms of prioritizing who does and doesn't get the record. Should they/could they have made better forecasts around the demand, yeah that's **probably** an oopsies but I also don't know what actual data they have to justify pressing a bunch more of a particular record versus past months.
So… three things….
1. This is the third time this happened this year and
2. They’ve failed to cap rotm which is pretty much what everyone has told them to do
3. This is a response from the a&r guy on discord instead of a formal apology from the company to everyone… so you only know if you are engaged and if you were affected.

The egregious part is the tone of it, while again using excuses to hide behind their lack of accountability.

I understand the logic and only disagree with forcing people on the promo sub out. That seems shitty. But also, this shouldn't happen in the first place and this should be communicated by email.

i feel like people say this every time VMP fucks up, then they reissue something people want and they hop back in hah.

i'll be back to just monthly drop ins if i want something in the future.

can't wait to see how many Gus Cannons they press hah
Yeah, there’s always exceptions, but I’ll never sub for more than a month, no matter how many free records they throw at me*

*24 free records and I’ll jump back in

So… three things….
2. They’ve failed to cap rotm which is pretty much what everyone has told them to do
3. This is a response from the a&r guy on discord instead of a formal apology from the company to everyone… so you only know if you are engaged and if you were affected.

This is very much the kind of messaging that should go out BEFORE people find out their shit was changed on them, rather than to a select few after.

It. Really. Isn't. That. Difficult.

So… three things….
I believe affected people got an email prior to this - but I'm not sure. I swapped out and had to email them to get my $15 bonus credit (which I receive this morning). It generally doesn't feel like something you'd announced to people who are otherwise blissfully unaware though.

So… three things….
The egregious part is the tone of it, while again using excuses to hide behind their lack of accountability.
This is very much the kind of messaging that should go out BEFORE people find out their shit was changed on them, rather than to a select few after.

It. Really. Isn't. That. Difficult.

Yeah, y'all are right. FUCK ‘EM!

I believe affected people got an email prior to this - but I'm not sure. I swapped out and had to email them to get my $15 bonus credit (which I receive this morning). It generally doesn't feel like something you'd announced to people who are otherwise blissfully unaware though.
It effects their biggest sub and caused a whole lot of nonsense. Less people were affected by the mystery box shenanigans but they felt compelled to apologize to everyone for that. It’s also a company that has promised more transparency.

So… three things….
the capping thing is interesting because i bet the way they use the shopify software doesn't allow them to do it. But there has to be some way for them to get an auto notice to trigger, even if manually, to put the tracks on standby.

from what i've seen, they essentially have a bucket that's for swaps, a bucket for subs and a bucket for add-ons. the inventory for all 3 has to add up to the total they have, but they cant limit, say swaps to 2,000, mains to 8,000 and add-ons to 2,000 as those numbers can greatly fluctuate. i imagine there has to be some better system though. not a shock that their site doesn't account for it.

Absolutely ridiculous that you and to chase them down for what they offered.
from what i saw, they are going back and doing this now and the process wasn't automatic. some people, rightfully, just wanted to get it squared away straight away.

And furthermore none of the emails before kicking people off where that this was a possibility or honest about the fact that they didn’t have enough to go around.

i think they did email nearly everybody who was affected. but at the same time, they shortened the swap windows so i doubt many people even saw the email during a holiday weekend where they were given less than a day to swap out to something else. i don't even know if you could manually swap out after that or if it was locked.

Back