What's Spinning

Rail Band - Soundiata

RIP Mory Kanté. He started his career with the fabulous Rail Band, the kings Manding in Mali. This album has no credits but I think it is the same song Soundiata - about the prince who founded the empire of Mali - sung on one side by Mory Kanté and the other by Salif Keita. Both sides are different but really beautiful, and Mory's version clocks in at nearly 28 minutes!

20200523_123924.jpg

I did! Plan to break it out tomorrow as distilled water arrived today and want to try and get a number of the outstanding ones done. I've been hand cleaning each one so far which naturally isn't as effective as a Spin-Clean but has worked well on the whole - at least gave me more peace of mind putting them in the new inners.

I'll add the Bendigo Fletcher to tomorrow's pool and give it another spin to check. Wasn't of detriment to the album but if they can be scrubbed it's worth an investigation! Thank you 👍

With the distilled water don’t go crazy buying anything too costly online. I buy 5 litre bottles of de-ionised water in Halfords for €5, it’s absolutely perfect for the job.

With the distilled water don’t go crazy buying anything too costly online. I buy 5 litre bottles of de-ionised water in Halfords for €5, it’s absolutely perfect for the job.
Good watching out Joe cheers. I actually grabbed a 5L off Amazon for around a tenner so probably a slight premium but was easier to get one delivered quick through Amazon. Certainly wasn't the most expensive though, some of the prices for what can be assumed it the exact same thing (being a product where frills are antithetical to the point) were insane. I actually broke it out yesterday and did about 12 records! Only having to stop as ran out of MoFi inners! Have placed an order for two more packs of 50. Do you use any alternatives for those? Content to pay the mofi prices for the quality and peace of mind, plus actually finding them pretty satisfying to put a clean record into and out of, but worth checking in case!

Worked amazingly. The roller on the left rumbles around a lot so have to hold it with one hand and rotate the other but still so fast and effective compared to the hand scrubs.

Good watching out Joe cheers. I actually grabbed a 5L off Amazon for around a tenner so probably a slight premium but was easier to get one delivered quick through Amazon. Certainly wasn't the most expensive though, some of the prices for what can be assumed it the exact same thing (being a product where frills are antithetical to the point) were insane. I actually broke it out yesterday and did about 12 records! Only having to stop as ran out of MoFi inners! Have placed an order for two more packs of 50. Do you use any alternatives for those? Content to pay the mofi prices for the quality and peace of mind, plus actually finding them pretty satisfying to put a clean record into and out of, but worth checking in case!

Worked amazingly. The roller on the left rumbles around a lot so have to hold it with one hand and rotate the other but still so fast and effective compared to the hand scrubs.

Haha yeah! I find that with the roller too on smaller records (I find 10” almost impossible to do) but not with 12”. I do pour a fair bit of water over both the rollers and the brushes whilst filling and maybe the lubrication helps.

It was another forumer who put me onto Halfords and I absolutely agree paying more than is entirely necessary for what is in effect water with the minerals taken out is insane! We’re not running a chemistry lab here!

for the sleeves I order from the US from a company called sleeve city. They’re the best for my money. I wait for a 15% off deal on here (they often come around) and order like 400 a go. They work out more than the mofi by the time I add on shipping and customs but I like them and it’s a once a year/18 months kinda thing.

My collection #513-514

Harvey Sutherland - Amethyst
Ebo Taylor and the Pelikans

Every time I take down Amethyst I think - should I sell it? Then I play the two tracks on the A-side, one featuring Nubya Garcia and the other Mansur Brown, and think this is bloody amazing. I just googled it and sounds like the drummer is actually Yussef Dayes and it's certainly got his feel for it. Brilliant couple of songs. And a Superfly reissue of my favourite Ghanaian musician in top form.

20200523_154139.jpg

20200523_160221.jpg

Back