2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
This is mentaiko (明太子; spicy pollack roe), the first food I tasted in Japan. I asked the waiter in this izakaya for a recommendation, and he suggested it. While I enjoy it and certainly don’t mind having it as part of a Japanese meal, my younger brother and father were grossed out after the first bite. Relating to the episode title, it is a Japanese proverb meaning that in a diverse world that we have, everyone has the right to their own opinions; “to each their own.” Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

The Rolling Stones "Emotional Rescue" (1980 Rolling Stones Records, Japanese pressing)
Going to follow in @TenderLovingKiller® 's footsteps with this one and play another Stones record from the late 70's and early 80's that is much maligned, but which I very much enjoy.

IMG_1667.JPG

Last edited:
Day 11 / 2024.S7.E11 - The Starry Sky (星空)
My father took this photo after we got drinks + yakitori in a bar in Kobe (神戸). The perfect conditions were cast down on the Mosaic District in Kobe along with this starry sky: warm temp, no wind, only a few tourists, and the calm port of Kobe made for a scenic wonder, even with the urban surroundings. I only wish that we took a ride in the ferris wheel here during these hours. Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

Tom Waits "Nighthawks at The Diner" (1975 Asylum, Japanese pressing)
Given the theme, it's definitely meant to be played late at night.

IMG_0895.JPG

Day 15 / 2024.S7.E15 - Bad Joke Eel (悪い冗談のウツボ)
I tried to fit a joke in the form of the moray eel meme, but puns don’t translate that well to Japanese. Moray eels (ウツボ) have a kind of dumbfounded, funny look to them. This pair of eels were in a fish tank right next to the entrance of the Don Quixote in Asakusa. Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

Ebi - My Definition of Techno House is a Shrimp

20240716_210016.jpg

Susumu Yokota (横田 進) used the pseudonym "Ebi" (海老; shrimp) in creating the limited techno compositions of his discography. The majority of his discography consists of ambient/downtempo records, but this LP is a much more of an acid/underground techno effort.
On the cover art, I find it funny that the shrimp diagram has sections labeled on it that describe what Yokota might perceive as the organic representation of house music. Speaking of:

"I have had the great luck, to meet Yokota in person several times in the last 20 years.I always have experienced Yokota-san as a very modest and humble man with a huge artistic mind. His quiet and calm character enabled him to create some of the most amazing music in history. I will always remember, how he explained during a dinner in Tokyo, why his definition of House music is that of an “Ebi” (Japanese for: shrimp): the tail is the bass drum, the head is the snare, the feet are the Hi-Hats and the tentacles are the cymbals. Hence his alter ego EBI, under which he already released in 1994 his album ZEN on Dr. Motte Space Teddy label which has a very special place in my heart"

-Mijk Van Dijk​

Day 16 / 2024.S7.E16 - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

This is kind of difficult as I don't usually regret any purchases or sell anything to have to buy back later. Something that I accidentally ordered 2 of was a fairly expensive box set pre-order that isn't cancelable...but as of ordering it in May and June of 2022 still hasn't shipped (Fuck Atom Age Industries)

I suppose I have regretted being a member of a few subscriptions where I wouldn't have bought something on my own, but that was kinda why I joined them in the first place. VMP relied too much on FOMO - and subscriptions like Terror Vision really don't release a lot soundtracks that I think are good enough to purchase. I think the biggest one I regret is the Terror Vision Cassette Club. It was mostly things I already had, but on cassette, which was a waste of money. The only thing I subscribe to this year is the WaxWork subscription, as I liked the releases they had planned this year. I think knowing what I'm gonna get helps when spending the money most subscriptions are asking for...going in blind used to be fine for something that was 20 bucks a record, but these 40-50 bucks a record subs are a bit cost prohibitive when you don't know what you are going to be getting.

This specific release I don't regret owning, I just wanted to play it, but it is a placeholder for all the other subscription releases that just take up space in my collection and will probably not get played more than once.

Koko Taylor – I Got What It Takes
Alligator Records – AL 4706, 1975/2018

VMP Classics

Pressed at GZ

ooCQTpO.jpg

RxgOok0.jpg

Day 17 / 2024.S7.E17 - Legends Only (伝説のみ)
Play a hip hop/rap record.

Random button again...

Viktor Vaughn – Vaudeville Villain
Sound-Ink/Fat Beats/The Orchard – SIK022, 2003/2019

Fat Beats exclusive 15th anniversary re-issue - limited to 1200 copies

Pressed at GZ

QnMxXln.jpg

iJhq79I.jpg

Day 14: Everyday Guardians (日常な保護者)
Play a record featuring a common household pet on the cover art (dog, cat, rabbit, fish, bird, etc.)

Yasuaki Shimizu - Kakashi
IMG_6222.jpeg

I legitimately picked up this album from my local almost entirely based on the album cover. I did do the thing; where you go to a quiet corner of the store and stream a sample while holding you phone up to your ear, and was impressed enough to pull the trigger, it’s a fantastic album and the kitty art is wonderful.

Last edited:
Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
These giant salamanders are vulnerable to extinction, and are the first thing that you see after walking through the entrance at the Kyoto Aquarium. I’ve never seen these creatures before in my life, and the tank seemed way too cramped for an animal of its size. The aquarium wants to hammer home how rare this species is by shoving a bunch of giant salamander merch down your throat at the gift shop at the end…could’ve sworn about a quarter of the available purchasable products were of that variety. Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs.

O Emperor "Jason" (2018 Big Skin Records)
I seem to be one of 54 people that have this. It's a sort of psychedelic indie record with jazzy undertones, from Ireland. It also includes a track titled "Japan", to allow me to keep this loose overarching theme going.

IMG_1669.JPG

Day 13 / 2024.S7.E13 - An Eternal Festival (永遠な祭り)
A common sightseeing stop in Yokohama is the Red Brick Warehouse, with several food vendors, restaurants, souvenirs, and free upstairs views onto the port of Yokohama. On this day, a festival ran well into the night with several street food vendors outside, taiko drum groups, local dance groups (to American music lol), and a few singers performing. There is a well-manicured series of flower arrangements to the side, with one having a walkable path and gate through! This area of Yokohama, weather permitting, always holds an event in this space to draw locals and tourists alike. Play a record featuring an LGBT artist or artist/band that has a core LGBT audience.

Queen "Sheer Heart Attack" (1974 Elektra; 1975 japanese 2nd issue)
Freddy Mercury...

IMG_0983.JPG

Day 15: Bad Joke Eel (悪い冗談のウツボ)
Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

Jim O’Rourke - Simple Songs
IMG_6225.jpeg

Jim O’Rourke left the US for Tokyo back in 2001 and never looked back. Though he now speaks Japanese much more than he speaks English, this dark biting and often hilarious wit has stayed with him throughout.
Simple Songs while recorded in Japan, was the last lyrical album he’s released, It’s been almost a decade since it dropped though, hopefully he will gift us fans a new one some time soon.

Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs.
20240717_150441.jpg

Swarvy with Pink Siifu - Two Thousand and Nine
Not sure why so rare. I first heard of Swarvy because he released an album on Matthewdavid's label Leaving Records. He's part of the LA beatmakers scene and is a pretty talented producer. And Pink Siifu is Pink Siifu! I blind picked this up and it's a great little album - it seems like not a lot of people have it.

1721243260891.png

Recommend you check it out:

Last edited:
Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

I regret buying this not because of the music, but because the surface noise on this pressing is horrendous. I love this album and I need to pick up a better pressing of it, because this particular variant is awful and most Discogs reviews agree.

IMG_7148.jpeg

Cymande – Cymande
1000006763.jpg

This is an all-time favourite album for me, so when my wife picked this most recent repress up for me last year it seemed a very sweet gesture. Sadly we both wound up quickly regretting it as it is easily the most dogshit awful pressing and straight up absolute worst NEW vinyl I have ever picked up! It's filthy, full of Snaps, crackles and pops and even has a chip out of the outside edge. Not even the vast majority of my free cast offs and bargain bin used scores have been anywhere near this bad.

Day 16: Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
. Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions Of Japan
IMG_6227.jpeg

I don’t really regret any purchases but I will say I have a lot of records that I don’t listen to often but convince myself should keep in my collection “just in case…”. I enjoy this album well enough but I am not as big of fan of Jazz as my 100+ Jazz records would have you believe. This one along with quite a few more are heading to my local where they’ll hopefully find a more appreciative home.

Day 13 / 2024.S7.E13 - An Eternal Festival (永遠な祭り)
Play a record featuring an LGBT artist or artist/band that has a core LGBT audience.

Adding some more Sufjan to this today. This album was also next on my Reverse Alphabetically Collection playthrough so this is perfect. I actually also don't know artists off the top of my head that are LGBT unless they're pretty famous and make it very clear. I only just found this out this week as I was looking through my collection to figure which album to play. Sufjan actually came to mind - so I googled it and it looks like he officially came out last year.

20240717_161356.jpg
Sufjan Stevens - Michigan

I always forget that Vito's Ordination on the vinyl is different and it always throws me off when I listen to this.
I wish there's a pressing without the bonus songs and instead moves Redford & the original version of Vito's ordination onto side D if it's a spacing issue.
They can also use the other version of Romulus too while they're at it.

Last edited:
Back