2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Eventually I have came to liking squid and octopus, but they are usually not my first choice. Hamachi (yellow fin tuna) is my favorite, as well as hotate (scallops-the large ones).

I think this is a pic of one of my first sushi experiences, but not 100% sure. It does not look like octopus is in there, but it might be the one with the thin band of seaweed, and squid is the white one. Tuna is the red one, mackerel is the silvery one (another very strong tasting fish). There is the yellow stripe that is scrambled egg, tamago. And some shrimp. The rolls and the fried triangle thing, I have no idea what they were. The pinkish thing on the bottom is pickled ginger, you're supposed to eat a slice between each sushi to cleans the palate.

One more thing with sushi... eat it however you like! There are "rules" but it does not really matter as long as you enjoy it!

sushi.jpg
That sushi looks excellent. Combined with the 2000s photo resolution, it is like from a time of a restaurant's peak in popularity.
You are right, hamachi/yellowtail is my favorite nigiri (握り寿司). The color separating from the belly to the flesh surface alone after slicing through gives an artistic appearance.

Case in point, from last year (bottom left, center, and right of center):
20230418_142048.jpg

Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

I remember this being kinda divisive when it came out. People really felt they sold out with their new sound because it was too pop / generic. This is not my favorite Garbage album as whole but I like this album a lot. Its so clean & well produced and actually has some of my favorite Garbage songs.

20240715_225319.jpg

Day 14 / 2024.S7.E14 - Everyday Guardians (日常な保護者)
Play a record featuring a common household pet on the cover art (dog, cat, rabbit, fish, bird, etc.)

A few months after we were married, I surprised my wife with our first dog, a white Basenji mix I got from the pound. She named her Elli. She looked just like Neil's dog on this cover...

Neil Young With Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

IMG_5936.jpeg

Day 15
IMG_9405.jpeg
Johnny Cash - Songwriter

First of all, thank god for Rick Rubin. One of the small flaws with the American Recordings is that Cash’s sense of humor is not on display very often. This album is fine after it gets past the WAY TOO FUCKING OVER PRODUCED FIRST COUPLE OF SONGS. One of the real highlights is one of his more humorous songs:

Day 16 / 2024.S7.E16 - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

During my college daze, I'd constantly trade in records to buy a new release I wanted. More times than not, the allure of something new would overtake the will to keep a record I'd played to death, no matter how great. Over the decades, I probably repurchased 90% of what I traded.

I know I cut loose of this one at some point only to come back again...

First discovered these guys on the radio. My little adolescent mind was blown when I learned they were from San Franciso...

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River

IMG_5938.jpeg

Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)

Alice Coltrane – Transcendence
1000006716.jpg

Outside of Journey In Satchidananda and Ptah, The El Daoud people are pretty mixed on Alice, even the jazz heads around here (see @Ghost's recent post looking to sell his copy of Transfiguration, for example!) This album in particular received 4 stars from AllMusic but only 2 stars from The Penguin Guide To Jazz Recordings. For me, though, Alice could do no wrong!

Day 11 / 2024.S7.E11 - The Starry Sky (星空)
Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

20240716_111015.jpg

Gabor Szabo - Dreams
I'm well aware it's daytime right now and I'm not following the vibe - but I had some time this morning to listen to an album and wanted to continue this challenge. Dreams is actually one of those youtube algorhythm artist / album discoveries of mine that fully encouraged me to check out his entire discography.

Day 8 / 2024.S7.E8 - No Music, No Life (音楽なし、生活なし)
Tower Records is a massive tourist spot in Shibuya, with seven floors for media (vinyl, CDs, cassettes, posters, etc.), a floor for a cafe, and an event space on the rooftop! Mostly new, sealed releases to be found here. Play a record that you recently purchased (within the last three months) from your local record store.

L'Impératrice "Pulsar" (2024 Microqlima)
Picked this one up last month. To me, L'Impératrice's album covers evoke those Saturday morning Japanese animation series we would watch on French tv growing up. Les Mystérieuses Cités D'Or, Albator, Belle et Sébastien, Capitaine Flam, Goldorak, Candy Candy, Astro, off the top of my head - I know some of those played on English TV as well, but they seemed much less prominent.

IMG_1666.JPG

Day 9 / 2024.S7.E9 - A Crowded Trek (混んでいた旅)
Fushimi Inari Shrine (伏見稲荷大社) is the most well-known shrine in Kyoto, with several thousand Toori gates (鳥居) leading to there. The journey takes roughly ~90min to hike up there, with plenty of rest stops and souvenir shops along the way. It is crowded at the start of the journey, but the majority of those on the path, particularly influencers and older tourists, stop after about 10min at the first rest stop or two and head back, making for a far more peaceful ascent. Play a record that is at least 90min long.

Santana "Moonflower" (1977 CBS/Sony Japan)
Run-time is 1:30:24.

IMG_0759.JPG

Day 16: Even Monkeys Fall From Trees

Foxy Brown
- Ill Na Na

IMG_8760.jpeg

This was an impulse purchase, I’ll admit. The vinyl itself looks cool, but one of my biggest pet peeves is albums with minimal packaging & no liner notes, especially with albums as expensive as this (CA$47). I could’ve bought the CD at 1/3rd of that price.

Day 11 / 2024.S7.E11 - The Starry Sky (星空)

Shabaka Hutchings – Perceive Its Beauty, Acknowledge Its Grace
1000006727.jpg

This is a lovely album anytime, and is perfect right now while the wife and baby are napping, but my most meditative moments are definitely during the darker hours, and this one really hits home for me then.

July 16 - Play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

Green River - Come On Down

Owned an original Homestead pressing of this, which I eventually sold during the Sub Pop gold rush of the early 90s. Sold this and several early Sub Pop releases for a lot of money (at least by the standards of the 90s) to someone in Switzerland. Regretted selling it and was on the hunt for years for a copy that was not too pricey. Jackpot eventually reissued it a few years ago and I snapped it up, some 30yrs later.
IMG_0416.jpg

Enjoy some Green River at the Sub Pop 20th Anniversary show in 2008

Day 15 - Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

I don't know why I bought this. It's actually the first spin ever. Also, my wife initially asked if this was Pearl Jam.

IMG_8844.JPG

Edit: This is headed for the PIF thread if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)

Ila Meyer – The Woman That I Am
1000006729.jpg1000006732.jpg

This is the only version of this album. I picked my copy up at the Hornby Island Free Store last week simply because it looked intriguing. It's actually quite a nice folk album so far.

Day 15 / 2024.S7.E15 - Bad Joke Eel (悪い冗談のウツボ)
Play a record with intentional comedic elements/lyrics.

I decided on this one since I don't think anyone here has it - or at least I've never seen it played. I know the self titled is a bit more popular.

Tenacious D – Rize Of The Fenix
Columbia – 88691 952321, 2012

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at United

Ai7bKjF.jpg

F6PJu9w.jpg

Back